Poll: What are the reasons you retired/want to retire?

What are the top 3 reasons you retired/want to retire?

• The middle class is dead.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • You’ve been replaced (by technology).

• Corporations don’t like you.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Money is not happiness.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • Count right now how many people can make a major decision that can ruin your life.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Your job is not satisfying your needs.

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • Your Retirement Plan is For ****.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Excuses (your own).

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • It’s okay to take baby steps.

• Abundance will never come from your job.

Votes: 29 31.2%

• Total voters
I don't identify with any of the reasons. I ER'd because I had saved enough to do so and no longer could motivate myself to go to work.

I don't identify with any of the reasons. I ER'd because I had saved enough to do so and no longer could motivate myself to go to work.
+1

I think Dory36 summed it up very well in his "BS Bucket" theory of retirment:

At my last employer (overseas), folks said that people started out there with two buckets, one in each hand.

One bucket started empty, and gradually filled with b.s. as you worked there.

The other started out with your net worth, and it too continued to fill as you worked there.

Eventually, the b.s. will outweigh the net worth, and you'll know it's time to go.

I have to agree. I've often used that concept in talking to people about when to retire...

I did not retire directly from megacorp. So, I voted for the 3 reasons that I left megacorp to help found a couple of ventures where I eventually worked full time. They subsequently floundered, and I was doing consulting part-time until I retired.

The 3 reasons for leaving megacorp would have been the reasons I would retire from it, if I were to stay longer.

He had a way with words. It captures my sentiment perfectly.

Originally Posted by dory36

At my last employer (overseas), folks said that people started out there with two buckets, one in each hand.

One bucket started empty, and gradually filled with b.s. as you worked there.

The other started out with your net worth, and it too continued to fill as you worked there.

Eventually, the b.s. will outweigh the net worth, and you'll know it's time to go.
I would enjoy drinking a beer or two with this man :)

I am not pursuing enormous wealth. I am pursuing "comfortably enough." And the more Corporate America sucks my soul and my mental/physical health from me, the more I'm willing to compromise on the definition of "comfortably."

He had a way with words. It captures my sentiment perfectly.

I would enjoy drinking a beer or two with this man :)
Yep, he was (is) an interesting guy. After his sale of the forum to AndyR he became a less frequent participant, slowly sailed away and no longer posts here. Our loss...

Last edited:
I didn't really see anything on the list. I had enough ( BS & money ) so I quit.

I am not pursuing enormous wealth. I am pursuing "comfortably enough." And the more Corporate America sucks my soul and my mental/physical health from me, the more I'm willing to compromise on the definition of "comfortably."
Translation: My BS bucket is nearing the top... :)

I retired because I could. I think there are not enough choices in the survey that fit me so I did not choose to participate. I would just guess that there are a bunch of people who want to keep working but have to retire for either their own or their family members health problems.

I retired because I could. I think there are not enough choices in the survey that fit me so I did not choose to participate. I would just guess that there are a bunch of people who want to keep working but have to retire for either their own or their family members health problems.
And the irony is that w*rk and its increased stress and BS levels is often the *source* of much of the health problems.

For me, the main reason was the awful and often sickening commute. I simply could not stand it any more, even only 2 days a week which I had been doing in the last 17 months of working.

And, as others have posted......because I could! :)

Well, I didn't do a very good job of coming up with options on this poll. Apologies...

Also didn't see my reasons listed.

I retired because (a) after loving my job for many years, I was getting burned out / stressed out and (b) I had enough money saved to allow it (continue at my then current lifestyle indefinitely).

So I did.

I retired because I was bored at work and thought there had to be better ways to spend my time.

I retired because I was bored at work and thought there had to be better ways to spend my time.
For me the frustration is that there's almost never a "happy medium." I can either be bored at times, or else four different directors all frantically tell me they need a customized TPS Report for a presentation to their VP that same afternoon. And somehow, it's my fault that I can't get them all done, and that the company has eliminated so much redundancy that no one else can do it.

I'm still at least a decade out, so excuse my ignorance, but isn't the reason that every single one of you FIRE'd was because you determined that it was financially feasible? I'm sure there were other reasons pushing you, but I can't imagine someone waking up one day and saying to themselves "You know what? W*rk is just not fulfilling my desires. I think it's time to quit." without going over their finances.

But, maybe that's just the influence that w*rk has over me.... :angel:

I'm still at least a decade out, so excuse my ignorance, but isn't the reason that every single one of you FIRE'd was because you determined that it was financially feasible? I'm sure there were other reasons pushing you, but I can't imagine someone waking up one day and saying to themselves "You know what? W*rk is just not fulfilling my desires. I think it's time to quit." without going over their finances.

But, maybe that's just the influence that w*rk has over me.... :angel:
I think this group as a general rule is not the type to throw caution to the wind. As much as we want out, often for many years, we feel enough responsibility (especially those of us supporting other people besides ourselves) to "tough it out" until the numbers clearly work so you don't have to. :)

I notice that one mostly constant thing amongst FIRE'd / want to FIRE people is that they want to spend more time with the spouse/family. There are a couple of people I know that work long hours so they don't have to go home.

In addition to Dory's 2-bucket reason, I retired because DW would not retire from her toxic job if I was not retired.

Nothing on the list fit.

New owners made me a financial offer I couldn't refuse: "Stay and lose your old employment contract or leave and we'll buy you out."

....... "tough it out" until the numbers clearly work so you don't have to. :)

Reminds me of something I said when I ERed and later posted here:

"I want my money to work for me instead of me working for my money!" :dance:

Back
Top Bottom