Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What are you worried about?
The economy 31 35.63%
Personal finances 15 17.24%
Health 25 28.74%
National security/terrorism 14 16.09%
Family issues 9 10.34%
Environmental degradation/global warming 16 18.39%
Other 10 11.49%
What me worry? 21 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Now that you mention it. Im worried that something might go wrong
Hmmm - is it possible to worry about worrying too much and thus creating a self eating watermelon?

heh heh heh - Or perhaps worried that you have no immediate worry's.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Worry about worry = metaworry!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - is it possible to worry about worrying too much and thus creating a self eating watermelon?

heh heh heh - Or perhaps worried that you have no immediate worry's.
Exactly. Im worried because i have no worries. Shouldn't I be worried about something? Lets see how about the conflict in Georgia. I must find something to latch onto and worry!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #24

I worry about stuff I have no control over like other drivers hitting me or my family. Or random acts of violence or accidents that happen to you when you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Freeway bridges that collapse, stuff (construction cranes/tractor trailer loads) that breaks and kills people. Stuff like that.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #25

I'm worried that the brown spots in my lawn are spreading
Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted for the environment as the thing I most worry about. And the reason I worry is NOBODY appears to give a rats *** about it. I try and keep my energy consumption to a minimum, I can make a tank of gas last better than 50 days, I install CFL's in our most used light fixtures to save a few watts and a few bucks too.

Then I see stuff like this and I get the feeling most people don't give a crap about saving any energy and reducing our carbon output. Here it is 11:30 at night when most businesses are closed and I find car lots lit up like it's daytime, car lots filled with SUV's and gas guzzlers that nobody wants to buy. Lights on in the Lowes parking lot when they have been closed for almost 2 hours.

Does anybody really care? I imagine a few do but for the most part it's just something to talk about and read in the news.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lights.jpg (60.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #27

I worry about not having enough time for everything I want to do.

I've got to stop adding to my "Things to do Before I Die" list.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #28

Zombies worry me a lot. I mean it's just not the whole devouring human flesh thing, but where do they go to the bathroom? I don't want to be picking up after them in my yard! What if they knock and ask to use my bathroom and then try to eat my brains instead? It would not be very nice!

Maybe even worse than zombies would be extra terrestrials. I don't even want to think about what the currency conversion would look like for the dollar then.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
I voted for the environment as the thing I most worry about. And the reason I worry is NOBODY appears to give a rats *** about it. I try and keep my energy consumption to a minimum, I can make a tank of gas last better than 50 days, I install CFL's in our most used light fixtures to save a few watts and a few bucks too.

Then I see stuff like this and I get the feeling most people don't give a crap about saving any energy and reducing our carbon output. Here it is 11:30 at night when most businesses are closed and I find car lots lit up like it's daytime, car lots filled with SUV's and gas guzzlers that nobody wants to buy. Lights on in the Lowes parking lot when they have been closed for almost 2 hours.

Does anybody really care? I imagine a few do but for the most part it's just something to talk about and read in the news.
But think of the amount of energy that is used if someone gets shot or in an accident because the lights were out! What about the cost to Lowes as a deterrent that the lights are on and the police have well lighted areas to patrol!

Oh the humanity!

No I dont care really. Ill die in a couple decades if Im lucky. Let the next generation take care of it
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #30

Quote:
But think of the amount of energy that is used if someone gets shot or in an accident because the lights were out! What about the cost to Lowes as a deterrent that the lights are on and the police have well lighted areas to patrol!

Oh the humanity!

No I dont care really. Ill die in a couple decades if Im lucky. Let the next generation take care of it
Ever hear the term, "Meaner than a junkyard dog"? Moats and alligators would go a long way to curing any "five finger" discount problems late at night. Just post a sign saying "If you are found here at night, you will be found here in the morning".

Accidents? Just what were you doing in Lowes parking lot at 3 am?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Ever hear the term, "Meaner than a junkyard dog"? Moats and alligators would go a long way to curing any "five finger" discount problems late at night. Just post a sign saying "If you are found here at night, you will be found here in the morning".

Accidents? Just what were you doing in Lowes parking lot at 3 am?
Hey I agree. Unfortunately you know how that goes. Junk yard dog bites thief. Thief sues and wins.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Got no worries, well, except for a sick sheep at the moment and I didn't see livestock on your list of concerns.
Family issues?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #33

Patriots needing to get back and win the Super Bowl this time... anxiety over football season.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #34

The sheep is doing well, thanks for asking! 4" laceration to her chest and the vet came out on Sunday afternoon to sew her up, right in the yard on an old flannel sheet with my casserole dish full of betadine and hot water for his instruments. I love my vet!
Daily dressing changes and an IM injection of antibiotics, so hopefully she will pull through without an infection. Emily is 14 years old, which is pretty old for a sheep! That is her on the right, Tess is the white one.

And um, the zombies using the bathroom...that is hysterical! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheep.JPG (510.1 KB, 1 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
7 billion people + peak oil
Personally I consider the energy issue to be tied into national security. In this day and age a nation can't be secure without a secure and sufficient energy supply.

With heavy dependence on other nations -- especially when many of them don't like you -- it's much easier to be taken down without having a single shot fired at you. So I very much see the energy issue as a national security and sovereignty issue.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I worry that a comet could strike the earth, snuffing out most lifeforms, and releasing from the earth's core a flesh-eating bacterium, which would consume all remaining life, releasing a toxic cloud of sulfuric acid, which would affect the earth's rotation, causing the moon to leave it's orbit and spiral toward the sun, causing a cataclysmic fission reaction, resulting in the sun going supernova, which would affect my TV reception...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

No tv?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I worry that a comet could strike the earth, snuffing out most lifeforms, and releasing from the earth's core a flesh-eating bacterium, which would consume all remaining life, releasing a toxic cloud of sulfuric acid, which would affect the earth's rotation, causing the moon to leave it's orbit and spiral toward the sun, causing a cataclysmic fission reaction, resulting in the sun going supernova, which would affect my TV reception...
After the "consume all remaining life" part, I don't think you need to worry about the rest.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Hey I agree. Unfortunately you know how that goes. Junk yard dog bites thief. Thief sues and wins.
That's why I'd opt for option #2.....
Quote:
....... Moats and alligators would go a long way to curing any "five finger" discount problems late at night.
A junk yard dog just bites & maims....and maybe kills, but leaves a body of evidence after the attack. But a gator......or several.......they're not in it for biting and maiming.....they're in it for DINNER!!! Body?....what body?
Quote:
"If you are found here at night, you will be found here in the morning"
.....in the form of gator poop!