Poll-What Are Your Favorite Mature Greens?

Your favorite greens?

• Beet greens

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Chard

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Collards

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Kale

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Mustard

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Turnip

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Okay, Ha, I'm prepared to catch heck for this--but I don't cook my own greens since I found the Glory Foods brand of canned collards! The whole line of stuff is fantastic, but I swear their seasoned greens are so much better than anything I cook. I just add some hot sauce and extra vinegar and they are fabulous.

I serve them for New Years Day with Hoppin John and cornbread and no one can believe they aren't home-cooked. Oh, and for the uninformed, Hoppin John is black-eyed peas with rice (I also cheat and use the Zatarain's boxed mix for that).
If only New Years Day didn't come immediately following New Years Eve!

Just the other day after my morning golf, I stopped in a greasy spoon and had a good ole fashion southern lunch. Fried catfish, slaw, bake beans and of course, turnip greens. Boy they were good. Oh yes, included corn bread and washed down with a tall glass of sweet tea. :)

I honestly don't think I've ever tasted any of the choices--like many others, I grew up with canned spinach (which I cannot imagine eating now) and iceberg lettuce in the leafy green vegetable department. Do mustard greens taste like mustard, beet greens like beets? Are they an acquired taste for the 50-plus green virgin or will I love them?

I honestly don't think I've ever tasted any of the choices--like many others, I grew up with canned spinach (which I cannot imagine eating now) and iceberg lettuce in the leafy green vegetable department. Do mustard greens taste like mustard, beet greens like beets? Are they an acquired taste for the 50-plus green virgin or will I love them?

Its all good stuff. Just cook it the right way. Be like Mikey try it you might like it :D

umm I have no idea what the question is, the only thing I recognize on that list is mustard. Mustard, however, for me is a yellow condiment and not a green.

Green things I eat are lettuce, spinach, asparagus, sugar snap peas, and green beans.

Also, reading through the list, they sound like salad things - so why are people cooking them?

I'll be starting our winter greens tomorrow - collards, kale, swiss chard, mustard greens, mizuna, spinach and boc choi. My fave is kale but collards and swiss chard are a close second. I like them boiled or blanched depending on how tender the green is and then sauteed with garlic and add a splash of balsamic vinegar when serving.

DD

Back
Top Bottom