Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What class are you in? Your definition.
Lower class 0 0%
Lower middle class 5 3.79%
Middle middle class 20 15.15%
Upper middle class 67 50.76%
Upper class 6 4.55%
I have no class 21 15.91%
This question is stupid and/or confuses me 13 9.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Poll: What class are you in?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Poll: What class are you in?

No, not retirement class.

We discussed class in this thread lately, and I wondered what forum members perceive to be their own class.

Definitions: YOU get to define class, any way you want.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted "Middle middle class" because that is how we live (i.e. modest small home, dine out once a week, both cars > 12 years old, etc.). However, I suspect that based on assets, we are likely "Upper middle class".

-Wino
Old 01-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not only are there many different ways to parse "class," there are special ones just for Americans, that attempt to combine income, education, and occupation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social..._United_States

Based on these constructs, Mr. A. rose from working class family to upper-middle class. I clambered from middle-middle family to upper-middle.

But both of us have always considered ourselves to be at least as good as anybody. Even when we were personally quite poor (lower class in terms of assets!)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not only are there many different ways to parse "class," there are special ones just for Americans, that attempt to combine income, education, and occupation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social..._United_States

Based on these constructs, Mr. A. rose from working class to upper-middle class. I clambered from middle-middle to upper-middle.

But both of us have always considered ourselves to be at least as good as anybody.
Thanks for the link! The issues you raise, are why I decided to let everyone decide on what class they are in, for themselves. I suppose that for some it's almost more of a feeling than an objective categorization.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
I voted "Middle middle class" because that is how we live (i.e. modest small home, dine out once a week, both cars > 12 years old, etc.). However, I suspect that based on assets, we are likely "Upper middle class".

-Wino
It's hard to decide, isn't it! But I think that whatever we put is either correct or pretty close to it.

My own income has corresponded to each of those class categories at some time in my life. I voted upper middle because at present that seems most accurate. Amethyst's link says pretty much the same thing in my case.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I chose no class as I like to play hooky. That's what retirement is like ... playing hooky .
Old 01-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

"Class..... We have no class. In fact, we don't need class. I don't have to show you any stinking class..."

Apologies to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's hard to decide, isn't it! But I think that whatever we put is either correct or pretty close to it.

My own income has corresponded to each of those class categories at some time in my life. I voted upper middle because at present that seems most accurate. Amethyst's link says pretty much the same thing in my case.
Yeah, I think it is also influenced by who you associate with. Most of our friends and family fall into the "Lower middle class" to "Middle middle class" range.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

No option for gentry?

All kidding aside, we're definitely not part of the country club set. I'll go with upper-middle class on the basis that we are comfortably within the upper quintile of wealth for Canada, but in no danger of being confused with one percenters.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

anyone have a link where I can find my class?

I didn't see "stuck up country club snob" on the list
Old 01-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I feel equally uncomfortable in any class-conscious situation or gathering, but I love the concept in literature (Fitzgerald, Dominick Dunne, off the top of my head). I know my ancestors a few centuries ago were stable hands to French royalty, so probably above that (the stable hands, not the royalty).
Old 01-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No Class

"I've got friends in low places...."
Old 01-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I feel equally uncomfortable in any class-conscious situation or gathering, but I love the concept in literature (Fitzgerald, Dominick Dunne, off the top of my head). I know my ancestors a few centuries ago were stable hands to French royalty, so probably above that (the stable hands, not the royalty).
Although nowadays, I presume, 'stable hands' indicate that one neither drinks heavily nor has Parkinson's?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I always thought I was middle, but the wiki stuff puts me at upper middle, so I too have been advanced in class.

And since I am now upper middle class and the stock market is soaring, I'm gonna enjoy me a forty dollar lunch -
Old 01-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Although nowadays, I presume, 'stable hands' indicate that one neither drinks heavily nor has Parkinson's?
Then I AM still a stable hand! Thanks!

Now if only I wasn't scared to death of horses....
Old 01-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

As an early retiree I embrace the lower class lifestyle as much as possible, but have upper-middle class assets.

I'm perfectly satisfied living the LBYM and Cheapskate Retirement model, but can stray into the "upper arrogant bastard" mode if coerced.

I don't spend any time really thinking about "class" structures to be honest.

_B
Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently employed and upper middle class. This could fall to middle middle class upon retirement depending on the exact definition. Born into working class family.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Not keen on "classes." Some of the best, most interesting people I've known have/had modest assets. And some of the wealthiest people I've known are selfish and obnoxious - and extremely "class" conscious. No thanks. The Millionaire Next Door eloquently spoke to "class" IMO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Since we get to decide what makes up the class, anyway we want, I guess we should comment why we select one class over the other as best as we can. (Make sense to me anyway)

For me, even though I have zero debt and more than a couple of million in investable assets plus a good bit of money in "other assets", I voted upper middle class (at best). I'm not sure what it would take for me to feel like I'm in the upper classes but I know I don't feel like that now.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I suppose it's upper middle class, based on the numbers. Although if you looked at my lifestyle, you'd assume middle or maybe even lower middle class. Living below my means is a way of life.

p.s. "Upper class" always reminds me of the Upper Class Twit sketch by Monty Python.
Closed Thread