Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What percentage of your career commuting was done with you driving your/company car?
0-10% 15 15.00%
11-25% 6 6.00%
26-50% 0 0%
51-75% 5 5.00%
75-90% 7 7.00%
91-100% 67 67.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

100%, ~70 miles round trip commute.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
Administrator

Even though I only lived a mile and a half from work, I always drove because it was necessary to take a bridge over a freeway to get there. The bridge did not have any shoulders to walk or bike on, had 50+ mph traffic on it, and had onramps and offramps taking up most of the bridge, so no sane person would have walked or biked over that bridge. There was no other option within a reasonable distance.

Also, it's no fun to arrive at work drenched and knowing you have a formal meeting later that day.
Quote:
With an average annual rainfall of 64 inches and an average of 56 rainy days a year, New Orleans ranked third among U.S. locations,
New Orleans ranks 3rd in most rainfall, rainy days, says weather data firm | NOLA.com

No problem, really, because in real life most peoples' opportunities to walk or bike are not limited to just going to work and coming home.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll: What percentage of your total career commuting days was done in a car?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: What percentage of your total career commuting days was done in a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Even though I only lived a mile and a half from work, I always drove because it was necessary to take a bridge over a freeway to get there. The bridge did not have any shoulders to walk or bike on, had 50+ mph traffic on it, and had onramps and offramps taking up most of the bridge, so no sane person would have walked or biked over that bridge. There was no other option within a reasonable distance.

Also, it's no fun to arrive at work drenched and knowing you have a formal meeting later that day.
New Orleans ranks 3rd in most rainfall, rainy days, says weather data firm | NOLA.com

No problem, really, because in real life most peoples' opportunities to walk or bike are not limited to just going to work and coming home.

Biking or walking in 100+ degree temps also results in drenching...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #24

I have always driven to work, or to a customer, or to the airport.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My best job involved taking to train to work and then the subway/taxi to appointments.

All the others involved driving to work and to customer appointments.

Averaging the two would be pretty meaningless.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #26

Post-education it was always a company truck or later on, an employer-furnished car. I seem to recall riding my bicycle one time when both my car and the employer's car were in the shop, but the weather was decent and it was only ~10 miles so not bad.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

For the last 23 years of work (1984-2007), my commute did not hardly vary. Twelve miles of lightly traveled roads which took ~15 minutes. Really can't complain. Rode a bike a handful of times just to say I had.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

This is an interesting statement to me because I find that, in retirement, I just don't care to ride my bicycle around for exercise even though I used it as my primary means of commuting for probably 10 of my w*rking years. Biking to w*rk was the best part of my day during that time. Probably 80% of my lifetime bicycling miles are commuting miles.

Thanks to everyone for responding. It didn't surprise that most people were solo commuters. It was a little surprising to see the distribution tend toward the bi-modal (all or nothing).
Old 05-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #29

I probably rode the city bus about 20-30 times in my 30 year career. Usually because my car was in the shop and a few times because I had broken my wrist and was told not to drive - instructions that I soon ignored. Riding the city bus was a truly horrible experience. And the commute time was similar to Rodi - almost a mile to walk to/from bus stops each way and one transfer required for a 10 mile commute to work.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I answered wrong... When I first read it I thought it said company car.... not your/company car...

I never had a company car - so I voted 0%. Should have voted 91-100%.

I carpooled - but used my car (coworker was a 1 car family - so this allowed his wife use of the car and he gave me $ towards gas.)

San Diego's public transit system is pretty lousy. I looked at taking the bus. To go the 6 miles (by car) I'd have to
- walk 3/4 mile to the bus stop. Ride 5 stops then change to a different bus. Transfer time was about 30 minutes. Then walk 3/4 mile from that bus stop to my work. I estimated it would take 90 minutes minimum.
I did the same thing, lol!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #31

Quote:
....Also, it's no fun to arrive at work drenched and knowing you have a formal meeting later that day.
Very true. We installed a shower in the men's restroom when we bought our new office in 1996. Worked great for me. I'd ride my bike to work, shower, and change into clothes that I had brought to the office on a previous driving day. Worked great until we sold out to the younger guys and they remodeled the restroom, taking out the shower. That was the end of biking to work.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #32

The only reason my answer isn't 100% is I ride my bike to work avg ~ once a week.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #33

My minimum commute for 35 years was 45 miles one way, 90 round trip obviously, longest was 130 miles round trip. I rotated shifts, sometimes weekly, biweekly, or 4 weekly. However, I was in management, so I did know when I was coming or going.

All in my own vehicle, slayer of over 8 deer, and totaled 1 once during an ice storm. Never late because of transportation issues.

Funny story for me anyhow. I volunteered to pick up a co-worker at 8:00 pm to report at 11:00 pm during a blizzard; I left at 7:15 pm to pick him up. We actually followed state salt/plow trucks for 42 miles. We arrived at 11:50 pm; the superintendent wisecracked " You're late". My co worker said " It was his fault because he drove ", pointing at me. Six foreman were relieved because the two of us even showed.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
OK, since today seems to be rather poll happy day and there was a thread on how your kids get to school, here's another poll on a somewhat related topic.

Since there has been some discussion on some of today's polls about methodology, I'll try to be complete:

1) I'm talking about your post-education w*rk commute experience,
2) The gold-standard methodology would be to consult your complete commute log for your entire w*rking life (we all keep one, right?) and divide the number of days you drove to your w*rksite divided by the total number of days that you traveled to your worksite.
3) Acceptable alternative methodologies include wild-a$$ guesses based on your fast fading memories of what it was like to go to w*rk.

Remember, these are "commute-days" so one 2 hour drive in a car is equal to 1 commute-day and a five minute walk to the office is also 1 commute-day.

Computing....

I'm pretty firmly in the 10-25% range. I really only had 3 or 4 years out of 30 where I was regularly driving to w*rk. A few other years I drove some fraction of the time, but for half of my career I was able to walk/bike/public transport to work essentially all the time.
I have two answers
one involves airports
and one does not
Old 05-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
My minimum commute for 35 years was 45 miles one way, 90 round trip obviously, longest was 130 miles round trip. I rotated shifts, sometimes weekly, biweekly, or 4 weekly. However, I was in management, so I did know when I was coming or going.

All in my own vehicle, slayer of over 8 deer, and totaled 1 once during an ice storm. Never late because of transportation issues.

Funny story for me anyhow. I volunteered to pick up a co-worker at 8:00 pm to report at 11:00 pm during a blizzard; I left at 7:15 pm to pick him up. We actually followed state salt/plow trucks for 42 miles. We arrived at 11:50 pm; the superintendent wisecracked " You're late". My co worker said " It was his fault because he drove ", pointing at me. Six foreman were relieved because the two of us even showed.

You've just described my version of hell...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #36

One guy I knew was in the police K-9 unit and they called right after a blizzard wanting him to come to work. He said there was no way, he couldn't get out of the driveway let alone drive on the roads. They sent the helicopter for him because he had the bomb-sniffing dog.

Some days ya just can't get out of it.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #37

The 35 mile commute between home and office, through two major highway construction projects, and contending with the nut jobs on the road in the metroplex is what drove me to retire, otherwise, I might still be working.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The 35 mile commute between home and office, through two major highway construction projects, and contending with the nut jobs on the road in the metroplex is what drove me to retire, otherwise, I might still be working.
There was a thread a few years ago on why people retired and it seemed the majority retired for one of two reasons: Either bad management or awful commutes or both.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There was a thread a few years ago on why people retired and it seemed the majority retired for one of two reasons: Either bad management or awful commutes or both.
Its funny, after I retired there were several sr management changes, and many of my former co-workers told me that I left at just the right time