View Poll Results: Unemployment history prior to retiring:
I had an unbroken employment record - never went without a paycheck. 94 63.09%
I had some period(s) of unemployment - total of 6 months or less. 29 19.46%
My time of unemployment totaled between 6 months and a year. 10 6.71%
My total time of unemployment was more than a year. 16 10.74%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
An interesting aside (hopefully not too far off topic) to this is the "threat" of unemployment. We kept more in cash than I'd have liked to during the 2009-2011 period because both the DW and I felt the likelihood was ~70% that both of us would lose our jobs. We both ended up surviving some interesting times at our employers. It slowed our path to RE a bit, but it did help us sleep at night.

“If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.” - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
I worked all 4 years in college and the summers in between. I started with Megacorp 4 weeks after my graduation (they wanted me to start 2 weeks after, but I asked for 2 more weeks as "I haven't have a break from work this long since starting college and don't know when I'll ever get a break like this again') and have never been unemployed.

Current target FIRE date: June 2017 or +50K to the portfolio, whichever comes first
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have known a few half dozen or so acquaintances over the past few years and what they all did simply amazed me. They would raid their buyout and/or retirement funds during unemployment and not make one concession to standard of living until they cut a huge hole in them. I would have went into immediate budget cutting mode to preserve the nut as best as I could.
+1 that is a situation to tighten the belt and try to ride out the situation with the minimum damage possible.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
Unlike most respondents, I practiced ER early and often. I also had a good role model; my dad ER'd at 55. After saving up my money while working for about 3 years following college graduation, I quit and went on a 14-month trip (mostly by bicycle) on 3 continents. Travel was much cheaper back then. Later in life, I worked for several companies which went belly up, and also experienced corporate downsizing. I think that there were 3 times that I immediately started a new position (with a raise). However, I sometimes took advantage of these situations by twice going to Latin America to study in Spanish language schools for several weeks, followed by some travel. BTW, when asked at interviews what I had been doing since my last period of employment, my answer about studying at a Spanish-language school in Latin America was very well received.

The last two times I was downsized, unemployment lasted for at least 6 months both times, but I was being picky about only seeking employment at locations which would be easy commutes. However, I had reached "critical mass", because by the time I began a new job, my savings and investments were worth more than at the beginning of those periods of unemployment.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I recalled, there were about 3 periods of unemployment that lasted less than 2 months. The shortest one was only a week. Every time when I think about them gives me a sour feeling of insecurity and some bitterness, albeit not self-defeating by any means. Life continues nevertheless.
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
I have been employed for 21 years straight so far (37 years old). I was maybe out of work for a less than week in between moving (like from home to college), but jobs were found quickly. I've held this salaried job for 15 years - knock on wood. I am very grateful.
iam21177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #47
I said "unbroken" although I did take some unpaid leave when DS was born - I had 6 weeks paid leave then took another month or so off, then DH and I both went part-time until DS was 6 months old. Didn't figure that counted for the topic of the poll.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #48
I took a one year non paid sabbatical 12 years before I ER'd. In fact that sabbatical is what led me to conclude that ER was a desirable destination for me.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #49
Started full time in my field at age 20, six months before getting my degree. Was laid off from the fifth job in 2001 with 27 weeks of severance + unused vacation pay. Took 3 months off and landed at the last place which was absolutely the worst place I have ever been, and I have seen the insides of lots of places working for a vendor for 12 years. Job ended after 7 years and I decided I am done after 32 years. Never collected unemployment.

Unbroken until the end.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #50
Went to work at 16, my SR. year I was in 'work release' so I had a full time job that year. The only time I was unemployed was 3 months going to a trade school.

Didn't like that career after a few years. Signed up for night school to get a career in IT. Worked full time days, while going to night school full time.
Got an entry level programming job, started 2 days after graduation. Never changed Megacorps, so other than vacation, and 3 months disability, I was never out of work for 39 years.

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote