Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What will be the big thing in our lives in 2050?
Teleportation to anywhere 1 1.49%
Space colonies 2 2.99%
Individual flying cars 1 1.49%
Brain implants connected to the internet 18 26.87%
3-D computer interfaces 10 14.93%
Something completely different (like what?) 35 52.24%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I can help with that a little bit...Wing South Airpark Real Estate in Naples Florida
Hobbiest flying will persist, but I'll click on the grocery store on my device, and a minute later, I'll climb in the multi-rotor which lands in my yard and drops me at the store...all under automated control.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Flying cars will be here much sooner than 2050, so wouldn't be trending (by then, we won't even notice them buzzing around). Zero skill cars will be first, then, when the battery technology advances, we will have Uber Air vehicles moving us around.
I wouldn't be surprised if flying cars as we understand it now will never arrive at all since it doesn't make fundamental sense.

Flying is more energy intensive than driving. Makes more noise, different tech in the drive train and different optimal forms, quite likely different propulsion and fuel too.

For short distances you'll have self-driving cars that cannot fly. For longer distances and rural transportation one might have self-flying microlight airplanes. Each are tailored to their own niche.

So Uber will summon you a small electric car, drive to the nearest takeoff strip (or an open park, even football field) where you switch to a microlight like this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aveko_VL-3_Sprint

At the other end you'll have a reverse process.

Even longer distances => bullet trains. Longest distances => Bulk jets or orbital insertion (if you can handle the G forces).

Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #23

There is nothing like point to point travel. You don't see people with high means taking public transportation. It's always a pain. So is the park and ride. Given an energy density solution and safe controls for takeoff and navigation, both of which seem doable, or nearly done, it seems very likely to me to be the way transportation will evolve. And I think fixed wing craft will not be the solution. It will be multi-rotor craft that can land "anywhere". Less efficient, true, but that's addressed by the energy storage and density solutions that I expect.

There will be brain interface virtual reality, so less need to go anywhere anyway.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Flying cars will be here much sooner than 2050, so wouldn't be trending (by then, we won't even notice them buzzing around). Zero skill cars will be first, then, when the battery technology advances, we will have Uber Air vehicles moving us around.

That will be old hat by 2050, but what will take longer and probably will take 30 years are advanced nanobots that repair cellular damage and target disease processes. There will be generalized nano tech that address specific health problems, delivered through the bloodstream.
I agree that there will be low altitude "flying" cars, completely non-driver assisted. I worked on a pilot program at Boeing in the 70's, AGRt, which were infant steps toward uber type transport unmanned. We now have the technology to take this forward. Without breaking my former secret clearance, I can at least say its possible. The infrastructure cost for roads and highway will be reduced to keeping the grass on the interstate mowed.

I have friends still working the nanobot technologies to be used in medicine, these will be enabled sooner than you think, but the drug companies will have to cooperate, as it will kill a lot of patent drugs.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if flying cars as we understand it now will never arrive at all since it doesn't make fundamental sense.

Flying is more energy intensive than driving. Makes more noise, different tech in the drive train and different optimal forms, quite likely different propulsion and fuel too.

Even longer distances => bullet trains. Longest distances => Bulk jets or orbital insertion (if you can handle the G forces).
Well you almost got it right. The high speed trains run along on a mag propulsion/elevation eliminating surface friction losses, reducing the frictional loss to that of the displaced air, which for those who know of laser cannon technology, is eliminated with pulsed bursts creating a forward vacuum. The flying car concept is really a high-bred of these technologies along a surface grid. These grids are being developed to replace roadways as I write, and are laid out with interlocking sections that are mass produced. They actually look pretty cool.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

2050 is not that far away. By then I will be dead and won't have to deal with the new stuff, whatever it will be.

My guess is that processor speeds will be faster, water will be cleaner, the world will have experienced another war with detonation of nuclear devices, we will live longer and old age will still be as painful, if not worse, and there will be socialized medical care in what was once called the United States of America.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #27

2050? Isn't that just a bit beyond the average estimated date when the human era ends at the 'hands' of the technological singularity?
Old 09-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
2050 is not that far away. By then I will be dead and won't have to deal with the new stuff, whatever it will be.

My guess is that processor speeds will be faster, water will be cleaner, the world will have experienced another war with detonation of nuclear devices, we will live longer and old age will still be as painful, if not worse, and there will be socialized medical care in what was once called the United States of America.

Yeah, but will the Texans still have not won (or been in) the Super Bowl by then?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
2050? Isn't that just a bit beyond the average estimated date when the human era ends at the 'hands' of the technological singularity?
If folks have only heard about the singularity and not read Kurzsweil, I'd urge them to read about it before making a knee jerk reply...the argument isn't air tight, but he's got some strong evidence.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Yeah, but will the Texans still have not won (or been in) the Super Bowl by then?

Depends on how many new head coaches they have gone thru by then. Plus, J.J.'s movies will be on Netflix by then also.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post

The Superbowl will be in Houston this season. That's probably as close as the Texans will ever get to being "in" the Superbowl.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
The Superbowl will be in Houston this season. That's probably as close as the Texans will ever get to being "in" the Superbowl.

The Texans are pretty good at putting head coaches in the Super Bowl, but with another team.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #33

The Do Not Call list will still be useless.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The Do Not Call list will still be useless.
Only now your phone will be implanted within your head with a needle, so you always have your phone handy and it powers off your body heat.

Allowing advertisers to whisper sweet nothings in your ears even as you sleep.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #35

FaceGoogAzon knows what you want before you do, drones it to you within minutes, then tells everyone else's brain how wonderful your life now is.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #36

Immortality Achieved! Arguments rage whether to start Social Security at age 62 million or 70 million.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

If "the world will have experienced another war with detonation of nuclear devices," It is doubtful that we will live longer and have cleaner water. It's also doubtful that most of us or our descendents will be here.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
The flying car concept is really a high-bred of these technologies along a surface grid. These grids are being developed to replace roadways as I write, and are laid out with interlocking sections that are mass produced. They actually look pretty cool.
Might you have a linky for that? Curious!
Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think it will be something like where the Kardashian grandkids are going tonight, what they are wearing and who are they with. But it will be on 3D holograms embedded in your brain. There will be no escape.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

With exploding world population and increasing life span for those that can afford to pay for the health care technology, globally, I think the big thing in our lives will center on the ability to produce enough food and find clean water to support the population. Somethings gonna give sooner or later. Maybe not by 2050 but it will surely be a concern that has to be addressed by then. 7.2 billion people in 2013 growing to 9.6 billion by 2050 according to google search. Google search says estimated maximum population that the earth can support with today's technology is 10 billion.