Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What will be the big thing in our lives in 2050?
Teleportation to anywhere 1 1.49%
Space colonies 2 2.99%
Individual flying cars 1 1.49%
Brain implants connected to the internet 18 26.87%
3-D computer interfaces 10 14.93%
Something completely different (like what?) 35 52.24%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
Fortunately for the 10 billion in 2050 we'll have new technology and food sources.... 'It's people!'

6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
In 2050, I will be 91 and DW will be 88. I don't think either one of us will care, as long as the nursing home is on the same planet as any grandchildren!

Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #43
Bitcoin, or its equivalent, will be the world currency.
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Oh, I voted brain implants.

Certainly a lot of potential customers...

Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
2050 is not that far away. By then I will be dead and won't have to deal with the new stuff, whatever it will be.

Wow, they finally discovered the fountain of you... ACK!! 😲
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My point here is simply that we think we’re on top of things today but we have absolutely no clue what the world will be like when the next generation is as old as we are today.
Are we on top of things? With 6+ billion minds working full time (OK, some not working), knowledge and change comes incrementally and continuously.

I'm quite impressed how much the future is unknowable. We see this in the stock market, where pricing which represents the "now" knowledge, is changing by the millisecond.

I for one am not on top of things. Just trying to keep my head above water.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #46
If I'm still alive in 2050 I'll be 100 years old and probably won't care much, if at all. But I checked "brain implants connected to the internet".

On the flying cars, I agree with harley, that will always be 20 years out. I think there will always be so many design compromises in that concept that the vehicle will not either fly well or drive well. It would be neat to see it happen though.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #47
Posts: 536 all are really creative! I think, with the population increase, and the continuing degradation of our environment, there will be focus on restoration - such as "radiation absorbing algae for the oceans," or some such thing, so the Earth won't go entirely belly-up. The new inventions will benefit those at the top, just like today.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
I think it will be something like where the Kardashian grandkids are going tonight, what they are wearing and who are they with. But it will be on 3D holograms embedded in your brain. There will be no escape.
So tinfoil hats will still be popular?
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #49
So I came across this video, for all you "Always 20 years away" flying-car people...notice who one of the sponsors is (in the first few seconds of the video).

Remember how long the world record airplane flights were at the beginning, the kind of folks flying them, who the people were driving the fastest cars were back in the 1920's. It's not too hard to imagine putting this technology into something completely under computer control, requiring no skill to operate.

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets
The Jetsons cartoon will be reality in the next century.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #51
I think the big advance in technology will be mostly unseen - artificial intelligence. Knowledge based systems will have made major inroads in fields such as law, medicine, technical and logistical support. Much (or even most) the interaction between consumers and business will really be consumers communicating with business SW. Mobil devices will have apps with advanced diagnostic and problem solving capabilities.

They still won't be able to predict the weather or time the markets.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #52
I voted "other" and I think the big thing will be nanobots. By 2050 miniaturization will allow tiny devices to repair cells, clean arteries. By 2055 hackers or rogue governments will pervert the nanobots so they destroy cells. By 2060 we are all dead. #ohnoes
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado
A very warm planet.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #54
We may not make it to 2050 unless we completely deal with the the year 2038 computing problem, which can still impact a lot of these technologies (
Current target FIRE date: June 2017 or +50K to the portfolio, whichever comes first
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #55
Surprised no one motioned CRISPR. Given how easy CRISPR makes gene editing, by 2050 all sorts of GMOs will exist. CRISPR tech will get applied to plants, animals, and humans with dramatic effects. Banana shortage? No problem, we can modify corn stalks to produce bananas. Tired of lemons, grapefruits, etc.? Now there's an entirely new citrus fruit to try. Labradoodle too 20th Century for you? Now you can combine attributes at will and create any kind of pet you want. Or any kind of child.

As with any tech it will be overused, potentially becoming dangerous, such that after 2050 (if not sooner) there will be a backlash against CRISPR-produced organisms.

GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote