Poll: What's trending in 2050?

What will be the big thing in our lives in 2050?

• Teleportation to anywhere

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Space colonies

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Individual flying cars

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Brain implants connected to the internet

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • 3-D computer interfaces

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Something completely different (like what?)

Votes: 35 52.2%

• Total voters
2050 is not that far away. By then I will be dead and won't have to deal with the new stuff, whatever it will be.

My guess is that processor speeds will be faster, water will be cleaner, the world will have experienced another war with detonation of nuclear devices, we will live longer and old age will still be as painful, if not worse, and there will be socialized medical care in what was once called the United States of America.

2050? Isn't that just a bit beyond the average estimated date when the human era ends at the 'hands' of the technological singularity?

2050 is not that far away. By then I will be dead and won't have to deal with the new stuff, whatever it will be.

My guess is that processor speeds will be faster, water will be cleaner, the world will have experienced another war with detonation of nuclear devices, we will live longer and old age will still be as painful, if not worse, and there will be socialized medical care in what was once called the United States of America.

Yeah, but will the Texans still have not won (or been in) the Super Bowl by then?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

2050? Isn't that just a bit beyond the average estimated date when the human era ends at the 'hands' of the technological singularity?
If folks have only heard about the singularity and not read Kurzsweil, I'd urge them to read about it before making a knee jerk reply...the argument isn't air tight, but he's got some strong evidence.

Yeah, but will the Texans still have not won (or been in) the Super Bowl by then?

Depends on how many new head coaches they have gone thru by then. Plus, J.J.'s movies will be on Netflix by then also.

The Superbowl will be in Houston this season. That's probably as close as the Texans will ever get to being "in" the Superbowl.

The Superbowl will be in Houston this season. That's probably as close as the Texans will ever get to being "in" the Superbowl.

The Texans are pretty good at putting head coaches in the Super Bowl, but with another team.

FaceGoogAzon knows what you want before you do, drones it to you within minutes, then tells everyone else's brain how wonderful your life now is.

Immortality Achieved! Arguments rage whether to start Social Security at age 62 million or 70 million.

If "the world will have experienced another war with detonation of nuclear devices," It is doubtful that we will live longer and have cleaner water. It's also doubtful that most of us or our descendents will be here.

The flying car concept is really a high-bred of these technologies along a surface grid. These grids are being developed to replace roadways as I write, and are laid out with interlocking sections that are mass produced. They actually look pretty cool.

Might you have a linky for that? Curious!

I think it will be something like where the Kardashian grandkids are going tonight, what they are wearing and who are they with. But it will be on 3D holograms embedded in your brain. There will be no escape.

With exploding world population and increasing life span for those that can afford to pay for the health care technology, globally, I think the big thing in our lives will center on the ability to produce enough food and find clean water to support the population. Somethings gonna give sooner or later. Maybe not by 2050 but it will surely be a concern that has to be addressed by then. 7.2 billion people in 2013 growing to 9.6 billion by 2050 according to google search. Google search says estimated maximum population that the earth can support with today's technology is 10 billion.

Fortunately for the 10 billion in 2050 we'll have new technology and food sources.... 'It's people!'

In 2050, I will be 91 and DW will be 88. I don't think either one of us will care, as long as the nursing home is on the same planet as any grandchildren!

My point here is simply that we think we’re on top of things today but we have absolutely no clue what the world will be like when the next generation is as old as we are today.
Are we on top of things? With 6+ billion minds working full time (OK, some not working), knowledge and change comes incrementally and continuously.

I'm quite impressed how much the future is unknowable. We see this in the stock market, where pricing which represents the "now" knowledge, is changing by the millisecond.

I for one am not on top of things. Just trying to keep my head above water. :)

If I'm still alive in 2050 I'll be 100 years old and probably won't care much, if at all. But I checked "brain implants connected to the internet".

On the flying cars, I agree with harley, that will always be 20 years out. I think there will always be so many design compromises in that concept that the vehicle will not either fly well or drive well. It would be neat to see it happen though.

Wow...you all are really creative! I think, with the population increase, and the continuing degradation of our environment, there will be focus on restoration - such as "radiation absorbing algae for the oceans," or some such thing, so the Earth won't go entirely belly-up. The new inventions will benefit those at the top, just like today.

I think it will be something like where the Kardashian grandkids are going tonight, what they are wearing and who are they with. But it will be on 3D holograms embedded in your brain. There will be no escape.

So tinfoil hats will still be popular?

So I came across this video, for all you "Always 20 years away" flying-car people...notice who one of the sponsors is (in the first few seconds of the video).

Remember how long the world record airplane flights were at the beginning, the kind of folks flying them, who the people were driving the fastest cars were back in the 1920's. It's not too hard to imagine putting this technology into something completely under computer control, requiring no skill to operate.

Back
Top Bottom