Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What's Your (Primary Address) Walkscore?
90-100 Walker's Paradise 9 12.86%
70-89 Very Walkable 13 18.57%
50-69 Somewhat Walkable 18 25.71%
25-49 Car Dependent 10 14.29%
0-24 (Hopelessly) Car Dependent 20 28.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

97!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

68 in the Lakewood area of East Dallas. It's not really urban but is part "streetcar suburb" from the early 20th century - so a bit more dense than a typical 'burb. Some apartments and duplexes up to mansions on acreage. Between Downtown Dallas and White Rock Lake with good schools, the middle and high school offer IB.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #23

We are a 0 also. Just the way i like it. I don't want to be in activity, just able to get there. Our Az condo checks in at 63.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Zero. Although I do sometimes walk to a farm 2 miles away to buy eggs. That's the only amenity I have within easy walking distance.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

20 for us. This is one time I am OK with scoring low
Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ours gets a 91. It probably misses one or more types of stores or it would have gotten higher. The fact that we can walk to the Capitol and National Mall alone brings it way up to 100 for out of town guests.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As I posted in another thread, our Walkscore is not only low, it's actually 0. I double checked today to make sure I entered it right the first time. The closest service of any kind is 2.26 miles. We might as well live on Mars...

Ours is also zero and we don't live on Mars. We LOVE where we live. I'm okay with the car ride to town, I swear--and the nearest commercial enterprise of any kind is 10 miles away.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

97. And it only mentions a small sampling of what is right here.

Ha
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #29

What happens if you have a 100 but don't like the shops and services that are walking distance? Proximity does not imply compatibility.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What happens if you have a 100 but don't like the shops and services that are walking distance? Proximity does not imply compatibility.
I suppose not, but at high scores we are also talking variety. People are drawn to an area by tastes, and if the commerce nearby does not appeal most would not move there.

Ha
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I suppose not, but at high scores we are also talking variety. People are drawn to an area by tastes, and if the commerce nearby does not appeal most would not move there.

Ha
You make a good point. A very close friend spent over a year choosing a place to live for that reason, and it looks like you did as well. If you do the work and meet the compatibility test the result can be amazing.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #32

82 here although the winter months could be a problem.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

3 here. I still walk or bike to work and stores
Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #34

27. We ride our bikes everywhere but it definitely is too far for walking to most things.

We just spent a couple of days in downtown Victoria, Canada and thought it was very walkable. (we got there as walk-ons from the ferry so didn't have a car). However, it only scores a 70.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Since when is GNC a grocery store?

My neighborhood scored in the 30's which is interesting since within about a half mile there are:

Kroger Signature grocery store
Drug store
Video store
Many sit-down restaurants
Banks
Dentists
Doctors
Vet
2 Starbucks
Gas stations
Fast food restaurants
Auto repair shops
Several schools
Parks
Public swimming pool
A GNC store

However, there are only homes, schools, parks within 0.4 miles.
Your post made me realize how the walk score algorithm doesn't focus on the type or quality of the walkable destinations, just quantity and distance apparently.

I scored a 66 with my home address. I did some sensitivity analysis, and my neighbors scored a 77 about 8 houses down the street closer to the business district. That represents maybe a 3-4 minute savings on walking, so I am not sure how reliable the calculations are. In other words, my house at 66 is "somewhat walkable" according to their ranking, yet a few doors down, they are "very walkable" with a 77 walk score. I know in the transportation planning community 0.25 miles is considered "walkable" and 0.5 miles is on the outskirts of what is walkable, so maybe my neighbors 8 houses down do have it much more walkable than I do.

I also checked where I work (in the exact center of downtown). A score of 95. However the only thing you can get to from here walking is a ton of restaurants, bars, and nightclubs, plus the courthouse, post office. The closest thing to a grocery store is a CVS pharmacy half a mile away. For kids, there are no playgrounds, community centers, etc, however there are tons of museums. The downtown walk score of 95 would be awesome if I were a partying 20-something. But for someone with a family, the lack of walkable parks, grocery stores and family friendly restaurants makes my neighborhood more "walkable" for me. And I imagine more walkable for anyone who doesn't go out drinking and clubbing at least a few times a week. Just an interesting thing I noticed about my particular neighborhood where I live and where I work.

In addition, traffic volumes downtown (with a 95 walk score) are much higher, so trickier to walk around (and particularly so with kids in tow). In contrast, the street I live on is still fairly busy for a residential street, yet you don't have to constantly cross busy cross streets every 1/10 of a mile and don't have busy commercial driveways where people turn into or out of frequently. Our neighborhood offers strolls on tree lined streets, whereas downtown offers that, plus dodging cars and looking over your shoulder to make sure motorists see you walking in the cross walk. And then there is constant construction downtown...
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Historic Belmont, NC - a 77!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
See my post re: downtown above. The restaurant choice, while astounding, is mostly higher end "fancy" restaurants or bars. These type places generally have a few things in common: high prices, poor service, mediocre food. There are exceptions, but downtown makes me miss my dining options a few miles outside downtown (price, quality, variety, casualness).

And I can only eat 3 meals a day, and drink coffee at a cafe maybe 1x a day. There are other things I consume besides restaurant food and bar drinks.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True enough, though it seems unlikely one would not like any of the services within walking distance. And since we all have different tastes it can't be built in anyway. Where one person might like high end restaurants while another may like diners, no right answer. They do the best they can by naming the specific places used to arrive at the score, so at least you decide if what's nearby is compatible...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #39

65, obviously does not take into account that walking on the beach for some people is one of the great pleasures in life.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
65, obviously does not take into account that walking on the beach for some people is one of the great pleasures in life.
I agree being on or near the water is one of the great pleasures in life (I was "working" on a boat off Lake Michigan this AM), but...
Quote:
Walk Score's mission is to promote walkable neighborhoods. Walkable neighborhoods are one of the simplest and best solutions for the environment, our health, and our economy.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote