Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When we go out for dinner, more often than not I'd rather...
Eat at my favorite restaurant(s) and order the same favorite appetizer, entree and/or dessert as usual. 54 41.54%
Go someplace new and different, or at least try appetizers, entrees and/or desserts I've never tried before. 53 40.77%
Other (I'd rather stay home, etc.) 23 17.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
We usually stick with our favorites but sometimes we discover a new place . I downloaded the app "Fast Food Nation " . This will stop you in your tracks from dining at most casual restaurants . The calories & sodium content are horrendous .
__________________

__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Moderator
MBAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,148
Cooking is my hobby so we don't eat out much, but when we do, we generally try new places and if we go to someplace familiar, we rarely order the same thing.

One exception - a brewpub that we've been going to for years has the most amazing appetizer - roasted garlic (2 full bulbs!) served on goat cheese crostini. MMMM...reminds me that we haven't gone there in a while!
__________________

__________________
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
----------------------------------
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
Y'all got me to thinking now and that's dangerous. For some time now, I've been thinking about going out to eat more often. Like every day if we could. Even though DW liked to cook in the past, she getting sick of it and I'm getting sick of cleaning up the kitchen (my part of cooking). One of my golf buddies goes out to eat three or four times a week. They only go where there is a coupon like BOGO. Forgetting the coupon deal, let's say you could get by on $25 for two dinners including tax and tip. That's $750/mo and $9000/yr. Lets say you could recover half of that by not buying equivalent groceries. I wonder how my budget would react to that. We really don't operate on a budget, but I bet I would have to if we followed this schedule. Any thoughts that might convince me to go this route?
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,318
I like to order things I would not normally cook for myself at home.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,421
I like to try new places and new dishes. DW isn't as adventurous. But we tend to eat at the old same place most of the time for the above reasons - price, convenience, comfort.

But what's wrong with cuy? Looks yummy! Probably right up there with possum and muskrat.

__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
ShortInSeattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
Being a vegetarian/vegan with two dinner choices within 20 miles of home, in cattle country. How do you think I voted?
Ouch. I suppose you've developed good cooking skills?
__________________
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #27
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
I like to try new places and new dishes. DW isn't as adventurous. But we tend to eat at the old same place most of the time for the above reasons - price, convenience, comfort.

But what's wrong with cuy? Looks yummy! Probably right up there with possum and muskrat.
Eek, you should have seen that one cuy stand, right past the toll booth, where everyone is going slow anyway. It was a 55 gallon barrel cut into two halves, with the little guinea pigs split open and spread out on top, just sizzling away! Yikes! I might have considered it if I'd had the option of a filet version. I'm told many restaurants keep a pen of the little guys in the kitchen so they are fresh when ordered! <shudder>
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Eek, you should have seen that one cuy stand, right past the toll booth, where everyone is going slow anyway. It was a 55 gallon barrel cut into two halves, with the little guinea pigs split open and spread out on top, just sizzling away! Yikes! I might have considered it if I'd had the option of a filet version. I'm told many restaurants keep a pen of the little guys in the kitchen so they are fresh when ordered! <shudder>
If you ever had to study for exams while working in a pet shop where the little b****rds are squealing all night you wouldn't have any problem with munching down on them. Tastes like chicken.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
Ronnieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 646
We tend to stay with tired and true favorites.

I venture out every once and awhile to try something new, but as I am a very picky eater, a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I am usually disappointed if I try something new and don't like it. Not only due to the expense of buying the new item and either not eating it and feeling that I wasted $$ but also that I tried something new and didn't succeed.

That is why I usually stick with what I know I like because I have had it before
__________________
I don't want to spend my entire life at work. I deserve more. - Want2retire aka W2R
Ronnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I downloaded the app "Fast Food Nation " . This will stop you in your tracks from dining at most casual restaurants . The calories & sodium content are horrendous .
Gosh, that's precisely why we go to Taco Bell & Costco pizza in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Y'all got me to thinking now and that's dangerous. For some time now, I've been thinking about going out to eat more often. Like every day if we could. Even though DW liked to cook in the past, she getting sick of it and I'm getting sick of cleaning up the kitchen (my part of cooking).
Any thoughts that might convince me to go this route?
Let me suggest the "Lean Cuisine", "Weight Watchers", and "Healthy Choice" brands in your local grocery store's frozen-food aisle. Anything between 300-350 calories is usually pretty good with a salad or a fruit side. You'll really appreciate the cleanup part of the meal, too.

This menu might seem unacceptably dull to many, but consider that my palate was developed during 90-day underwater patrols where you couldn't just stop in at the local 7-11 for a Slurpee...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
I don't eat out that often, but when I do I like to try new places and new dishes. I have a sweet spot for chocolate desserts.
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
What is this dish ? Looks like a BBQ rat to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Forgetting the coupon deal, let's say you could get by on $25 for two dinners including tax and tip. That's $750/mo and $9000/yr. Lets say you could recover half of that by not buying equivalent groceries. I wonder how my budget would react to that. We really don't operate on a budget, but I bet I would have to if we followed this schedule. Any thoughts that might convince me to go this route?
Well, the economics of it depend upon how you cook at home. I've read some articles saying that the cost to make equivalent foods at home to what is bought at a restaurant is usually very close with making it at home often more expensive.

Of course, we don't cook restaurant foods at home so eating out more does increase our costs.

Other alternatives as mentioned would be frozen foods and possibility meal services. For example, around here you can buy My Fit Foods and I am current buying a lot of meals from them so there isn't much cooking going on.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If you ever had to study for exams while working in a pet shop where the little b****rds are squealing all night you wouldn't have any problem with munching down on them. Tastes like chicken.
Well at least it's not this pet

__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Well at least it's not this pet

Might have to worry about role meal reversal with this guy.
__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #36
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
What is this dish ? Looks like a BBQ rat to me
It is cuy, popular in Peru. Guinea pig is what we'd call it.
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #37
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
But what's wrong with cuy? Looks yummy! Probably right up there with possum and muskrat.

I'd try it. Never miss an opportunity for something new - you might not get another chance.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #38
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,501
I'm a little more culinarily adventurous than DW but options are more limited without driving absurd distances. Since the health department publishes restaurant inspection scores online there are some we wouldn't dare set foot in, let alone eat in.

I understand to some degree Nord's flexibility since the options on a midnight shift weren't much better. Lessee, we had 7-11 hot dogs, Little Tavern "gut grenades", High's junk stuff on the shelf, and the Choke 'n Puke diner.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #39
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I understand to some degree Nord's flexibility since the options on a midnight shift weren't much better. Lessee, we had 7-11 hot dogs, Little Tavern "gut grenades", High's junk stuff on the shelf, and the Choke 'n Puke diner.
Walt, you give new meaning to fine dining.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
They only go where there is a coupon like BOGO. Forgetting the coupon deal, let's say you could get by on $25 for two dinners including tax and tip. That's $750/mo and $9000/yr. Lets say you could recover half of that by not buying equivalent groceries. I wonder how my budget would react to that. We really don't operate on a budget, but I bet I would have to if we followed this schedule. Any thoughts that might convince me to go this route?

I think $25.00 is a little low unless it is during lunch or always hitting the early bird specials . Maybe an alternative would go be to go out more and make the meals at home super simple .Lots of time we will just have a piece of chicken or salmon and a salad . Preparation takes minutes and clean up is a breeze .
__________________

__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.