Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who does the cooking at your home?
I do all or most of the cooking 65 50.00%
SO does all or most of the cooking 35 26.92%
We share the cooking more or less equally 21 16.15%
We each cook for ourselves 2 1.54%
We mostly eat out and don't cook enough to vote here 5 3.85%
The cook prepares our meals for us 0 0%
Other (please explain) 2 1.54%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Who cooks?
Old 03-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Poll: Who cooks?

Recent comments got me curious about cooking at home.

For those who live in a two or more person household, who does the cooking?

For singles, feel free to vote for options 1, 5, 6, or 7.

In our case, I do nearly all the cooking, mainly because I enjoy it. DW considers it kind of a chore, but she does 100% of the baking, at which she is superb.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm more inclined to do one-pot dishes, lasagna, chili, stew, cottage pie, etc, (with burritos I make the filling, DW wraps), which go further....whereas DW's are one, maybe two, meals.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I live alone and voted "other (please explain)". So, here's the explanation.

He eats every meal out - - always has, his whole life, and is not going to change now.

As for me, I eat a small lunch out with him, and I cook my other meals myself. I don't do anything fancy because it's just me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When I was working, I used to eat out a lot, because of long hours at work, business trips, and coming home too exhausted to shop, and finding wilted lettuce in the fridge. Since ER I have become quite a good cook and enjoy the process as much as the outcome. I eat far less processed food and waste very little food now. I'm mostly self taught, but have taken some cooking workshops (including a cooking vacation in Italy).
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I cook most of the meals and freeze them into individual portion for my husband. I don't always eat the same food as my husband, I snack a lot. However, he makes his own breakfast in the morning. Egg and bacon or sausage. He does a wonderful job with coffee. I don't really drink coffe if he is not around, but if he makes me a cup then I will drink it. I also enjoy making dessert, I dont eat them as much, I snack on fruits. I make them mostly for my husband. He likes to have something with coffee.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

DH used to do most of the cooking before he got sick. Now that he's gone, the contents of the pantry and refrigerator are more fresh and frozen veggies, less meat and potatoes, less processed foods. My "go-to" meal starts with canned soup or a frozen Weight-Watchers type entree, with a ton of stir-fried veggies added on and a tiny dose of powdered jolokia pepper or Dave's Insanity Sauce. I'm getting tired of that and have branched out to fish dredged in cornmeal and baked, and some stir-fried chicken I just improvised with beef broth and curry paste. Got tired of baked potato as a starch and am now making bulghur and quinoa.

I can follow recipes well- sometimes I just need to break out of my routine.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW cooks most of the day to day meals (or we eat out) and I cook the fancier meals. We have been eating out more recently, but the majority of meals are eaten in.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #8

My work is closer to home so I almost always get home first to start dinner. I probably handle 6 of 7 days a week.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Can't do polls from here.

I took over all the cooking in May, '15, based on a change in eating I needed to try. DW is delighted, she cooked for 40 years. I do shopping and she and I do a little planning( I'm grateful for the help). I do the prep, cooking and the big stuff cleanup. She does the rest.

We've lost a bunch of weight since I started cooking. Maybe it's really bad!:confused:
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I really really love to cook, so I cook dinner almost every night--DH made a big pot of chili over the weekend so that lasted several (too many) days, but that was unusual for us. Last night we had salmon poached in orange juice, with chopped mango and cumin, and sauteed new potatoes with parsley, lemon, and Mexican crema, and a side of sliced avocado. Tonight wine-braised crockpot pot roast over polenta, if the meat ever gets as tender as it is supposed to.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #11

I am the souschef and scullery. I do a lot of the preparation, some of the cooking and all of the cleanup. The first time DW cooked a meal for us, I told her I would do all the cleanup. She looked heavenward, and said, There is a God"
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I love to cook and I love to eat. I love going to the grocery because that is where they have food. I love to eat out just as much, I love what the pros can do and I learn from them. I love to buy exotic expensive food off the internet, fly it in Priority 1 on ice.

It's cheaper flying the food than flying you -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #13

I voted "Other". I wasn't sure whether I should say I do the cooking or the cook. Some nights "Lean Cosine" does the cooking and I warm it up. Tonight "Smart Ones" put the main meal together. At lunch I go all out and either fix a sandwich or grill hot dogs or a hamburger.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

I do 99% of the cooking . We each make our own lunch sometimes I do break down and make both our lunches . He loves to use the smoker so ribs , brisket and anything that is smoked he does . He also does 99% of the food shopping and clean up .When I first retired I really got into cooking and was making amazing meals but that faze passed and now I still cook just not as amazing .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #15

I put that we split it - but in reality it's more like 60% him, 40% me. That's because older son is on swim team and I'm fighting traffic to pick him up after school M-F. (I quit work to give up traffic - then this happened.) I come home to a cooked meal.
On weekends I usually cook dinner. Lunches are split 50/50... often just reheating leftovers. If we do a cooked breakfast it's on me about 90% of the time since I'm up with the kids to get them to school and he often sleeps in.

We both enjoy cooking. I like baking and he doesn't - so I made the pies yesterday for Pi day (3/14). He likes doing Italian dishes (he's Sicilian by descent) and is good at it.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #16
Administrator

The young wife does almost all of the cooking. I prepare one or two dinners a month and do all of the grilling or smoking, even if she cooks the rest of the meal. I also do the canning, and I am on permanent KP duty. We do the grocery shopping together.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #17

I do all the cooking because I enjoy the whole process. But I'm also kind of lazy, so I cook big once or twice a week. Typically I make enough to fill shelves in the freezer with enough copies of several dishes that we can have a different meal each night of the week, repeated each week of the month. Plus baking snacks, bread, whatever else might strike a fancy at a moment.

That's for the SO and I. For myself, I make enough breakfasts and lunches at once to last several weeks to a month. I can eat the same thing repeatedly for years at a time, as long as I can change sides. She typically eats things that don't need cooked for breakfast and lunch.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #18

DW did it for our first 18 years. She has a farther commute, so I have done it since.

It's a mixed blessing. When you are the one fixing dinner, you get to have what you want, how you want it, and in huge quantity. I've gained both skills and girth.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes, temptation!

At a recent dental hygiene appointment, I received compliments on my tooth cleaning regime. My hygienist told me about another patient she had treated that day, a 25 year old pastry chef. His teeth were full of cavities due to constant tasting of sugary mixtures, sipping on coffee with syrup (!) and not flossing and cleaning as regularly as he should.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We eat out a lot, but when we cook I tend to do it. DW has said she did pretty much all the cooking during out working and child rearing years, and she's done with it. I usually cook a ton of stuff (especially when I'm grilling), and then we eat leftovers for awhile. Then we eat out some, then I get in the mood to cook again, and the cycle starts over.