Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who You Trust Most With Your Online Identity/Data?
Amazon 28 52.83%
Apple 11 20.75%
FaceBook 0 0%
Google 7 13.21%
Microsoft 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
IIf I end up receiving emails, it ends up in my junk folder.
Ditto....anything unsolicited, e-mails/phone calls*, etc, are either trashed, or in the case of calls, responded to in a mildly abusive manner.

(*Our phone, even after relocating from Ottawa, is still listed in DWs previous name...at the first mention of that name by callers we hang up.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I only have credit cards stored with Amazon, not because of choice but necessity, convenience.

For Apple, you can load gift cards into your Apple account.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
In 2012 I noticed some purchases against our Amazon.com account that we hadn't made. When I contacted them and talked to an Amazon fraud officer he confirmed that the purchases on our credit card had been made by a new account. He asked me if I knew anyone called "Louise" and when I said no, I asked how someone other than the person named on the credit card can charge to it from their account. He told me that it is not unusual for folks to loan their credit card to friends and family so they allow it, and even though that card is in their system registered to another Amazon member their security procedures do not even contact that member to get their permission or even inform them.

I do not trust any of the ones listed, although I have only had issues with Amazon.
You've mentioned this before, and it prompted me to check my Amazon card account this morning. I found a bogus charge - from Finland. I only use this card for Amazon and gasoline and they approved it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Don't you guys get an email every time an order is placed against your Amazon account?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Don't you guys get an email every time an order is placed against your Amazon account?
Yes, and that makes it easy to reconcile the card charges.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
No, and that is the problem!! I get an email everytime MY amazon account charges against my credit card, but when a new account with a different name and email address was created using my stolen credit card details then I got no email about the new account and of course new charge emails made by the bogus account will have gone to the bogus email. I only spotted the fraud when I noticed charges from Amazon on my credit card that I did not recognize.

Amazon did not protect my CC details, allowing someone with a different first and last name to set up an account against my credit card, which they have on record.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Oh I misunderstood. I thought your Amazon account got hacked and was being used to order things against it.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
All of them engage in data mining, that's what I was getting at. ....
Oh, that's not how I interpreted the poll.

I took 'Trust With Your Online Identity/Data' to mean - 'do I trust them to keep it secure from hackers?'. No I don't.

As far as data mining, I have not seen any reason to have any significant concerns (though I avoid Facebook and Microsoft for various reasons, so can't comment on them). I don't believe I've ever received an email that was a result of any 'data mining' from any of these places. I'm obviously discounting straight out illegal SPAM - that's a different animal. I do use a different front-end for google searches mostly (only because I liked the interface better), so I don't see any Google ads, but it doesn't bother me if I do, and they might even help me find what I'm looking for. I don't care if a 'bot at Google tracks my searches to attempt to display relevant ads, I don't know why anyone would care.

That kind of targeted marketing has gone on for many decades - you get junk mail based on your zip or other data. So I toss it, I don't see anything to get worked up about, this is just the modern digital equivalent.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I only have credit cards stored with Amazon, not because of choice but necessity, convenience...
Yes I have my amazon Chase card stored there (with some growing concern from what I heard here.)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Amazon did not protect my CC details, allowing someone with a different first and last name to set up an account against my credit card, which they have on record.
I agree with your post but wonder how much of this is Chase vs Amazon.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could only rank Facebook at the bottom because their business is predicated on declaring privacy dead.

The main page in Dutch literally says: "Met Facebook ben je verbonden en deel je alles met iedereen in je leven."

Which means: "With Facebook you are connected and share everything with everyone in your life". Well, I don't want to do that.

Worst part is, there is almost no opt-out. Facebook has shadow profiles (you haven't signed up, but they know you exist), so I am in their system whether I want to or not.

If I had to choose one to trust, I'd go for Apple. Too many dollars come directly from the customer and from building great products in a closed eco-system, so they have a reason and better capabilities than most. I don't buy from them for other reasons though.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I agree with your post but wonder how much of this is Chase vs Amazon.
Not sure I understand, does Amazon use Chase for its management of users' credit cards?

My credit card in question at the time was from Penfed and after contacting them to dispute the charges they told me I had to first contact Amazon and get them to confirm the charges were fraudulent. Even if my card was not already registered with Amazon why do they allow a person to create a new account using a credit card that is not in their name without an attempt to verify that the card holder has authorized its use? The Amazon fraud guy I talked to said this was normal practice.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Alan, Chase has an Amazon Rewards Visa Card: https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/amazon/amazon-home
Old 08-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Alan, Chase has an Amazon Rewards Visa Card: https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/amazon/amazon-home
Yes, and we have one these days. I still don't understand why Amazon having a Chase card means they allow folks to create an account with a different credit card in someone else's name without checking with the owner of the credit card. I'm obviously feeling stupid here as I don't understand the relevance, but don't worry about it, I'll get back to my vacation.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm obviously feeling stupid here as I don't understand the relevance, but don't worry about it, I'll get back to my vacation.
Hey, if you've got pants, you're good to go!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, if you've got pants, you're good to go!
I've needed them today. It is currently 39 and raining, low of 32 forecast, but back to sunny and dry tomorrow
Old 08-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I think Google has the smartest software engineers and that's why I voted for them.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote