Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who Does Most of the Cooking at Your House?
Mostly DH (incl no DW) 32 31.68%
Mostly DW (incl no DH) 42 41.58%
Pretty even between DW & DH 19 18.81%
Mostly restaurants, defrosting prepeared foods, carryout, professional chef, etc. 8 7.92%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

About alls I do is bake bread, an occasional pizza, make mustard, make ice cream, cook chili, sausages & peppers, broil steaks, and roast coffee.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW, a great cook, does the cooking. I clean up after dinner. Since I've never cooked much, I prefer that role. I slipped into the clean up roll after retiring because DW's dishwasher skills lacked engineering discipline. So I showed her how to do something she had been doing for 25 years. Yep, now it's my job. (Nords warned me at the time, but it was too late.) I do the grilling, but I catch flack from DW if it's not perfectly cook to her liking. For big events, like family reunions and fund raisers for charity benefits, I barbecue a pig. But that is more of all day long beer drinking social event than a cooking job. But hey, someone has to do it.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2
I figure if a man can't feed himself he deserves to starve.
+1

I started cooking when I was in grade school, and with both my fils working, I had to fend for myself for breakfast and lunch. I always have liked PB&J sandwiches and lunchmeat sandwiches....but not everyday, thus I learned to cook! I'll never have to worry about starving!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #44

Oops! That should have been 'folks working' not 'fils'.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sexual innuendo again, Mr. Ha?

He always knows his position with moi!

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Doesn't sous mean under? Is he aware of his placement?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My wife does most of the daily cooking. However, when we host a big family dinner for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I would spend a lot of time to help out.

Occasionally, I would take over the kitchen and try to make some new dishes, as my wife likes to stick to what she knows and is not so willing to do something different.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
DW, a great cook, does the cooking. I clean up after dinner. Since I've never cooked much, I prefer that role. I slipped into the clean up roll after retiring because DW's dishwasher skills lacked engineering discipline. So I showed her how to do something she had been doing for 25 years. Yep, now it's my job. (Nords warned me at the time, but it was too late.) I do the grilling, but I catch flack from DW if it's not perfectly cook to her liking. For big events, like family reunions and fund raisers for charity benefits, I barbecue a pig. But that is more of all day long beer drinking social event than a cooking job. But hey, someone has to do it.
Ref the cleanup. As you mentioned, my DW also lacked the engineering discipline to properly load a dishwasher in my opinion. I could easily rearrange the dishes and get in one or two more. Then she would get that tight jaw and her eyes would narrow and like you said, I've had the job ever since.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I slipped into the clean up roll after retiring because DW's dishwasher skills lacked engineering discipline. So I showed her how to do something she had been doing for 25 years. Yep, now it's my job. .
My SO did the same thing . I ignored him a few times so now he rearranges the dishwasher while I watch TV .
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I figure if a man can't feed himself he deserves to starve.
+2 to Goonie's plus 1.

My Mom isn't much of a cook, and when I left the house, I decided I should learn how to cook for myself.

When people of my parent's generation found out I lived alone, they always said stuff like "Oh, you must eat a lot of frozen TV dinners". "Uh, no. Never bought one, made Coq-au-Vin last night". Bugged the heck out of me. This was during the 'feminist' movement, and if you said the flip-side of that to a female you'd be considered a Neanderthal, and/or get sued!

But after many years of DW cooking, my skills are rusty. I'm getting better, but it's a struggle. I always end up with far too many dirty dishes and pans for a simple meal, and it's almost always late. But DW has never said 'no' to any offer of me cooking up a 'Lou' (Lou Malnati's Chicago Deep-dish spinach/cheese pizza). Mmmmmmmmmmm, there ain't nothin' like a 'Lou' (an acquired taste perhaps, it ain't your typical pizza, very subtle, more like spinach & Bruschetta and cheese than zingy pizza sauce -but man is it good).

-ERD50
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

When I was wooing (trying to impress the future DW), I mentioned I was a cook in a French restaurant for 3 years and they sent me to a 3 week cooking school. It may have sealed the deal for her to become DW but it also made me head chef............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My SO did the same thing . I ignored him a few times so now he rearranges the dishwasher while I watch TV .
The Grasshopper family calls that "whitewashing the fence". Now I know how to stay below the radar.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #52

When I was totally retired for 4 years, I did the cooking and dishwashing, since DH was still working. He retired and I am working 3 days per week, so now we each cook 50/50 and he does all the cleanup. He does very basic and quick cooking. I really prefer to do the cooking, because I like my cooking better and I cook healthier than he does. I will probably do the majority of the cooking again, once I stop working.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I will probably do the majority of the cooking again, once I stop working.
Geez, I don't know if that would motivate me to stop working...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I may be the "head cook", but DH does a lot himself. He makes all the breakfasts and he is our dessert chef very important! I do the fancy meals especially trying out new things. DH can handle some of the basic meals when I need a break.

I am also the family grill chef and smoker chef. We should do a poll on who does the outside cooking. I learned when we were RVing. DH was too busy chasing critters with his camera in the late afternoons. I decided that I had better learn, and now it is my favorite way of cooking and eating. I finally got me a fancy big grill, and then realized they are built for larger sized humans than I! I still manage .

Audrey
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I learned to "cook" in the Boy Scouts. Plus, as teenagers, the only way to eat ten meals a day was to learn to cook for yourself. My mom was a good cook, in a Midwestern kind of way; my dad can fry an egg...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

I cook 95% of the time. DW does the clean up. I honestly wanted to enter her in that new reality show Worst Cook in America. I've seen her blow up water in the Microwave. Myth Busters couldn't even do that.

She's a good sport about it, has 2-3 things she can cook. She's a good baker though since everything is precise measurements and time.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Very blessed to be married to a former home-economics teacher. She can make wonderful dishes out of seemingly nothing. I go to the cupboard and stare, and she can make creations. I am pretty good and making any thing that is "bad" for you. Desserts, baked goods, BBQ meat. She bakes home made bread for fun and stress relief.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I do it. It's my hobby, plus, if DH does it, I have to clean up, and it's much easier to do it AND clean up, than clean up after him.