Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would You Go To Your Grade School Reunion?
What reunion? I Stay in touch with old classmates already. 4 3.33%
Yes. I want to go and relive old times 1 0.83%
Yes. I want to see what happened to my old classmates. 26 21.67%
Not now. But maybe another time. 2 1.67%
No. I am not interested. 78 65.00%
Other 9 7.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Would You Go To Your Grade School Reunion?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Would You Go To Your Grade School Reunion?

So, poking around Facebook, I found out that there's a 40 year grade school reunion planned sometime in the upcoming months by some former classmates.

Would you go to your grade school reunion? Or is that something that you have no real interest in?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I probably don't recall but maybe one or two people's names from elementary school and just a core group from high school.

These days, it's easy enough to stalk those I might be curious about on facebook and if any of them seem to have their act together enough to be worth the effort to contact and meet for lunch or coffee, then fine. So far; zero.

So, to answer the question, I would not go to a grade school reunion and it's something I have no interest in.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Probably not. I went to my 30 year HS reunion and was disappointed at how few people I was social with in HS were there. It was a large class (about 1000) and the "popular" kids showed up - but my nerdy brainiac friends were missing. We ended up putting together another reunion (held in my backyard) for our crowd. It was very cool - about 40 people - some traveled pretty far.

As for grade school - I saw some of the folks at the HS and/or nerd reunion... but don't see a lot of people coming back for a grade school reunion.

FWIW - I live in the neighborhood of my grade school - a lot of folks stay put in this neighborhood (a lot of 2nd gen families here.) That said - I don't see a grade school interest.

My BFF from grade school and I reconnected at the nerd reunion. That was good.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Not interested. I went to high school with the same group from grade school anyway.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never got that far.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I still keep in touch with several friends from that era but I have no interest in meeting with the people who bullied me.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No way, same group of idiots I went to high school with. Didn't like most then, that hasn't changed. Have a couple of friends from those days, great people, I'll visit them.

Oh yea, that cute little girl in kindergarten, I married her.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm uncertain and as of now don't know if I'll go or not. The introvert in me says I have no interest. Plus, perhaps, the past is best left in the past. (I really don't want to see how the ravages of old age affected all of us ).

Yet on the other hand, the compassionate part of my says to go, as I'm sure some are curious to see how I turned out. A sense of closure, and who knows how many more reunion opportunities are in store.

I did go to my 20 year reunion. That's interesting looking back as then I was pretty new in my career and now that's in the rearview mirror .
Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #9

We went to my elementary school reunion. I'm glad that we did it. Many of the people I've also seen at the high school reunions so it hasn't been all that long. What was nice is that it was a much smaller group than the large high school reunion.

What I've learned about these things is that I don't function well in large, loud crowds. I couldn't hear well in the big room but when I stepped out to chat it all worked much better. Also, I wish I was better at names!

DH and I met in high school, so he also knew many of the people at my elementary reunion. Otherwise I would probably have gone alone.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You should go - it's amazing how old those people look!

No interest here - barely still interested in college reunions, having gone to a high school and a college reunion.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The day after my 20th high school reunion, my elementary school classmates got together for a reunion. Virtually everyone enjoyed the elementary school reunion more than the high school one. Our high school was huge and I didn't know the majority of my classmates while I was in high school. However, I knew all of my elementary school classmates, and like most of them. We have continued to have periodic elementary school reunions, and few of us bother going to our high school reunions anymore.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Coincidentally, I ran into someone last week whom I hadn't seen (and I've never had occasion to use this phrase before) in 50 years. He turned out to be one of a type of whom I've run into a few other examples: within 5 minutes of meeting someone after several years, they bring you up to date on people you knew in grade school. Because they felt it necessary to stay on top of that information.
Never understood what's up with that.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No way, I say. I still get invited to high school, fraternity, college, US army units that I have gone to war with etc. reunions.

I say no thanks to them all.

I don't care about your successful business, arm candy gal, new Caddy, vacation house on the beach or any other show-off stuff that you care to brag about. I probably have more than you but you will never know.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, poking around Facebook, I found out that there's a 40 year grade school reunion planned sometime in the upcoming months by some former classmates.

Would you go to your grade school reunion? Or is that something that you have no real interest in?

Un...no. Waste of time. 7 billion people on this planet. I am facebook friends with two of my grade school friends. That is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A grade school reunion is redundant in my situation since most of the kids I graduated HS with were my classmates all 12 years. I attended my 50th HS reunion last year.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

I couldn't tell you the names of all the grade schools I went to while growing up!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

No. I hated my grade school. I still keep in close touch with my high school classmates and my college sorority sisters, though.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I never got that far.

Haha good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #19

Went to my 45th HS reunion. Essentially spent $100 to spend an evening with a bunch of strangers.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The only reunion that I've gone to is my 30th high school reunion. Curiously, the only people there that I remembered were kids that I had gone to grade school with. So, yes, I'd be more interested in a grade school reunion than a high school reunion.