Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you try pot if it were legal in your state?
I have and I would. 81 44.26%
I have and I would not. 43 23.50%
Never have, and I would. 15 8.20%
Never have, and I would not. 44 24.04%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
So when I get my season ski pass next winter, will I have to worry about out-of-control stoners or will they just all fall over somewhere along the trail?
Some wont get up the slope, a bunch fall down, occasionally some realizes they have a gift to ski before something else happens.

On the serious side, I'd read the resorts were concerned. They have an interest in skiers safety. I believe they have trained folks to spot potential risks.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I no longer smoke tobacco nor cannabis. If my fellow adult citizens wish to do so, have at it.

Light um up if ya got um. Just don't drive your car/truck on my street.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Used it a few times in my late teens, early 20's, but not nearly as much as some of my "friends". It's been a long time, and I don't really have any inclination at this point. I spent a lot of years working for the DoD and I was tested randomly & regularly, knowing I'd lose my security clearance and my career, so I played it smart and didn't use during that period (currently still working). Not expecting to start up again.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Some wont get up the slope, a bunch fall down, occasionally some realizes they have a gift to ski before something else happens.

On the serious side, I'd read the resorts were concerned. They have an interest in skiers safety. I believe they have trained folks to spot potential risks.

MRG
Do any of these people (or others) also stop in for a couple of beers at lunch?

These things are a concern I guess. But there are a number of other issues that can cause problems. One of the reasons I think I am done riding my bike is worrying about people running me over....for a variety of reasons. Not paying attention, drunk, high, on their phones, playing with the radio, smoking cigs, bad attitude......
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #65

I was a teenager in the 70's.

Do it again? Probably not....
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #66

The polls results sure don't reflect the comments of the majority of posters. Speak up you silently stoned majority.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I tried it once or twice in college. Could not really see what all the fuss was about. Pleasant enough, but putting people in jail for that? I never understood that. Not my idea of fun, but have at it and please stop wasting my tax dollars chasing those folks around. I was more than happy to vote for legalization in my state even though I have minimal interest in the stuff.

One of the big problems for anyone wishing to indulge in CO or WA is that it is still illegal on the federal level and recent case law indicates that employers (and presumably anyone else) can discriminate on the basis of whether you have legally consumed the stuff.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If all MJ does is to make people stupid, I would not mind it at all, as long as I do not have to subsidize their mistakes. For example if MJ causes them to "buy high/sell low", I will profit.
Sadly, I think liquor tends to have more of that effect.

Report: Lake Ice Grows Safer To Venture Out On With Each Beer Consumed | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I had an old boyfriend years ago that we hang out with once in awhile who has been a daily pot smoker for 30+ years. I often hold him out to my son as an example of "this is your brain on drugs". Guy has zero short term memory - or long for that matter.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I see that alcohol has often been compared with MJ. It is also often said that while MJ makes the user (abuser?) mellow, alcohol tends to make him violent. I have not taken MJ to know, but alcohol tends to make me sleepy and mellow.

I guess anything can be abused. Again, as long as no bystander gets harmed, I would not care. It is too hard if not impossible to protect an individual against himself. Americans are famous abusers of food, and very little can be done about that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I think that putting people in jail and ruining their lives for something less dangerous than drinking alcohol, driving a car, flying in a plane, walking on the sidewalk, taking a bath, etc. is ridiculous. Legalizing it is the only morally justifiable action. Having said that, I don't care if people try it or not. To each his own. Different strokes.

Haha is right, anybody that wants it now can get it, with ease. The only danger is in the prohibition. Alcohol should be legal, pot should be legal, raw milk should be legal, pate should be legal, Super Big Gulps should be legal. Land of the free, eh?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
... Alcohol should be legal, pot should be legal, raw milk should be legal, pate should be legal, Super Big Gulps should be legal. Land of the free, eh?
Eh, pâté has always been legal, same with liverwurst. I think horse meat is not legal. Or is it? I think some cities banned foie gras? Or not? Arghh, I lost track.

Opium should be allowed next. Bring back the opium dens!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #72

Why bother with opium when Oxycontin, Percocet and Vicodin are available? Big Pharma knows how to create an addictive drug for the 21st century.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Smoked it some in my late teens/early 20's. Wouldn't smoke it now, but would try an edible. It was an amusement park ride. Not something to do all the time, but definitely had some laughs.
chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #74

I was a daily smoker throughout my 20's and most of my 30's. I took a 20 year sabbatical and got very serious about my career. Then ER'd (52)and a old friend of mine sent me some as a retirement gift and have for the last decade. I think most people that have actually partaken know it is no big deal.

I don't consider it a big deal, nothing really, just an easy way to celebrate the day in the evening. I think it also makes me more sociable and love listening to music stoned. I am private about my personal habits (does this count?) and have never had any issues concerning pot. I guess I would consider it my one vice, if that is what it is?

I dream of the day that weed takes the place of alcohol in our society - the world will be a nicer place for everyone. It could happen.

Peace
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Why bother with opium when Oxycontin, Percocet and Vicodin are available?
Sure. Let's make Oxycontin over-the-counter too.

By the way, I found that oxycodone is heavily abused in Canada. Many countries such as Singapore and the UK treat it as among the most dangerous substances, I guess at the same level as heroin.

I never knew about these things, and only looked into it when I was given that for my serious abdomen surgeries. I was afraid of getting hooked, but other than finding it relieving pain, never had any high or rush from it. And I was able to stop without problems when the surgery wound healed, with many pills left. So, I do not see how people get addicted to it. How do people get addicted to aspirin or Tylenol?

I guess people have different physiology and different reactions to a substance. Hence, some are more genetically inclined to be addicted to certain drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Big Pharma knows how to create an addictive drug for the 21st century.
So, do you propose stopping the manufacture of these pain killers, and let surgery patients tough it out?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #76
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't get what all the buzz is about.

*wink
Bert Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I smoked it in my late teens and early twenties but have no interest in it now, legal or illegal. Never tried cigarettes. Couldn't stand the smell. Marijuana smoke never bothered me like cigarette smoke does.
I tried it a few time in high school. Probably smoked a twice a month in college, and rarely for a couple years after college. I feel much like David Brooks did in his column, I just outgrew it.

While I am happy to see it decriminalized, I hope we can figure out a way as society to discourage it is excessive use. Although, I am sure there many many exception by and large the folks that I knew that were heavy users were pretty irresponsible and not all that interesting.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Never tried it. I probably wouldn't smoke it now but perhaps would try some brownies . Always said I'd like to try it once before I die. Hopefully I have a few years left before that happens. I do love my beer though!
dontworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
So when I get my season ski pass next winter, will I have to worry about out-of-control stoners or will they just all fall over somewhere along the trail?
No they just stayed in the lodge and watched, calmly.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, do you propose stopping the manufacture of these pain killers, and let surgery patients tough it out?
My X-DW was a nurse in an oncology ward. She was shocked that some docs would not give adequate narcotic pain relievers to the terminally ill for fear that they would get addicted.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote