Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you try pot if it were legal in your state?
I have and I would. 81 44.26%
I have and I would not. 43 23.50%
Never have, and I would. 15 8.20%
Never have, and I would not. 44 24.04%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #21

The closest botanical relative (in the Cannabaceae family) to cannabis sativa is humulus lupulus.

That means hops, one of the prime ingredients in beer.

So I'm already guilty by association!

Side issue:
Back in the first half of the 20th century, there were many attempts to hybridize the two plants, attempting to produce a legal source of an illegal substance. Alas, none of the attempts ever worked, and the efforts were abandoned, AFAIK.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Civil war
Jumbo shrimp
Military intelligence
Marijuana initiative
Old 01-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #23

The effects of legalizing pot seem quite positive. I see that the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks are the only two NFL teams left.

Guess they'll be getting together for a Super Bowl in a couple weeks.

Far out, man.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #24

I live in WA and haven't even thought about it or seen anyone else that seemed to be smoking it. I don't want any but I wouldn't hesitate if I did.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #25

I might try it just to see what all the fuss is about, but that's about the extent of my interest. Never have and I didn't see much of it. Since I wanted a career in law enforcement I made sure to stay away from that, and the people who might put me in a bad situation.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since the topic is open one of my favorite performances is Lazyboy- Underware Goes Inside the Pants.
He speaks to many social plagues, the homeless guy hits home, so does the opionion on plants. IMHO.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #27

I might try it again for old time's sake, but not at the prices that they are showing on TV. I would not hesitate to use it, if it helped an illness that I had. I was not real big on it before. My preferences were other illegal substances, but we will not go there right now. Anyway, it has been since my early 20's, since I have used anything. I do agree with Frayne that I think it is ridiculous the amount of money that the gov has spent putting people in jail for it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

In Amsterdam, they sell these things they call "space cakes". My, oh my!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

If marijuana would help a medical condition, I would take it in a tea. I don't think I could go the smoking route.
I think we, as a society, have more pressing issues that to control people's use of marijuana - money-wise.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in WA too and am looking forward to trying different delivery methods. The idea of smoking it really turns me off, but edible and vaporized sound interesting. I suppose once the novelty wears off whether or not I continue to use it will depend on how it compares (pleasure and cost) with social drinking.

My 90-year-old mother says she's looking forward to trying it for pain relief, it sounds like either edible or a salve might be useful.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Not proud of it but smoked the bejeus out of the stuff in my early twenties along with consuming a number of other illegal substances. Fortunately it was just a stage I was going though. Over the years I have toked up for a special occasion here and there. To me pot is no better or worse than alcohol. I think it is insane the amount of money the government has wasted for the war on drugs, especially making pot a criminal offense. I might add I have known a number of successful people over the years that have and still do partake of the evil weed.
Frayne,
Curious that you start by saying you are not proud of having smoked it and that you are fortunate it was just a stage. But then you end with the thoughts that it should not be illegal and that pot smokers can be very successful.
That seems to conflict slightly. Wondering if you could further clarify. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I smoked it in my late teens and early twenties but have no interest in it now, legal or illegal. Never tried cigarettes. Couldn't stand the smell. Marijuana smoke never bothered me like cigarette smoke does.
Ditto on all points, but very occasionally since (a very rare social setting). The stuff they have now is much stonger than in my teens...I'm talking a significant buzz with one hit. I smoked a time or two per week before I got my first almost imperceptable buzz, hehe. But beer buzz wins, hands-down. Cool idea about the hop/pot hybridization attempt, btw!

Voted have/would, but it would be a rare or one-time thing, since, like I said beer is my choice.

But I don't get all of the blow-back on the smell of pot. Yes, it's distinctive, but it doesn't linger on clothing and stuff like tobacco smoke does. I'd MUCH prefer to be in a room full of pot smokers over tobacco smokers. And that has nothing to do with the 'benefit' of second-hand pot smoke (nobody ever got a buzz that way), but everything to do with my feeling slightly nausiated from tobacco smoke and knowing I'll need to wash my cloths twice to get rid of the smell.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #33

I spent the better part of three years back in the early 70s, living in Florida, working construction and smoking quite a bit of weed. Room mates were fellow Viet Nam vets and I guess it was a method of self-medication/decompression to clear our minds of unpleasant memories. After an epiphany of sorts, (actually when you smoke pot everyday it becomes a norm and is not that big of an enjoyment) I realized this was no way to live the rest of my life. I moved, went to back to school, got married and became somewhat of a responsible adult and tax payer. I don't think pot should be illegal, I think it should be taxed and regulated just like alcohol and tobacco. I do know a number of people in successful careers that use pot on a recreational basis, just like having a beer. They are not daily pot smokers and in no way am I implying that you can be very successful being a daily pot smoker.

The part I am not proud of is going through the better part of three years in a pot induced fog but maybe it was something I just had to do after spending 12 months as a grunt defending the west coast of the US from am imminent Viet Cong attack. Not ashamed that I smoked pot, ashamed that I wasted three years I could have been working towards ER.

FWIW, I did successfully retire early at the ripe old age of 54, been married 35 years, raised a son, who is college educated and running his own business. The only problem from smoking all that pot is I sometimes repeat myself. Did I tell you, I did successfully retire early at the ripe old age of 54, been married 35 years, raised a son, who is college educated and running his own business.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haven't tried it, but if I could try it in a "brownie" version I probably would. Can't be worse than the beer I drink. I also think it solves some legal issues as well. A lot of folks are in jail now for these minor offenses. Not to mention all the illegal activity with growing it out of the country and bringing it in illegally(and the violence associated with that market). Having lived in several other countries for over half my life.....you get to see how strange this country looks to other people.....but people who live here don't see it. Kind of like watching the news, all you see is news (actually, rarely what I would call news) about the US. Maybe in kind of backhanded way they might mention something about another country. Watch the BBC sometime.....some UK news.....some US news.....other countries news. You know......NEWS. Ahhh man....don't get me going on what CNN has turned into
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #35

No. I didn't partake in my youth, and I figure that my mental faculties are declining rapidly enough as it is with age. I might use it if I had some painful medical condition, though. I would have to learn to smoke as I have never even smoked a cigarette.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
No. I didn't partake in my youth, and I figure that my mental faculties are declining rapidly enough as it is with age. I might use it if I had some painful medical condition, though.
+1
Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Look at the legalization of MJ in other countries. While beer is served all around the world, the Dutch attempt to legalize MJ had been rolled back because of some unintended consequences.

They are still looking the other way in Amsterdam, but MJ is still not for sales openly in tobacco shops in the country. In addition, they are banning foreign tourists from entering these coffee shops where MJ is for sales. Why, I wonder.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I might try it again for old time's sake, but not at the prices that they are showing on TV. I would not hesitate to use it, if it helped an illness that I had. . .

+1
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
No. I didn't partake in my youth, and I figure that my mental faculties are declining rapidly enough as it is with age. I might use it if I had some painful medical condition, though. I would have to learn to smoke as I have never even smoked a cigarette.
If all MJ does is to make people stupid, I would not mind it at all, as long as I do not have to subsidize their mistakes. For example if MJ causes them to "buy high/sell low", I will profit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Tried it but don't much like it. Makes me stupid.
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote