Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Internet Speeds (MBps down) Do You Have At Home?
10 Mbps or less 27 12.74%
25 Mbps or less 33 15.57%
60 Mbps or less 35 16.51%
150 Mbps or less 71 33.49%
300 Mbps or less 25 11.79%
1000 Mbps (Fiber) 20 9.43%
How would I know? 1 0.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have Frontier FiOS 50/50 internet. It's true fiber-to-the-home and we've been extremely happy with it since they (originally Verizon) first ran fiber down the street in 2006. Actual speed tests, wired directly to the router, are consistently around 57/53 with low single-digit latency. We have a mesh WiFi network with 6 nodes. But it's a huge house with a metal roof, so speeds on WiFi are highly variable... sometimes same as wired and sometimes 20/10 or less.

Our alternative here is Charter/Spectrum cable, which recently upgraded their base offering to 200/30 (previous max was 30/5). The first-year pricing is only $10 less than Frontier, after which it's the same. I keep trying to leverage the new Charter/Spectrum upgrade to get Frontier to give me 200/200 for same price I pay now. But they won't budge. And I really don't want to switch.

Plus, I find that 50/50 is plenty for our needs. The 50Mbps upload is especially useful these days with various cloud backup routines running real-time, like photo backup from both our phones. But on the download side, the rock-solid stability and reliability of the fiber connection are very different from what I remember of DSL and cable. That was a long time ago and I'm sure those services have improved. But I think if you can get fiber, you can probably tolerate a lower bandwidth offering without impacting performance relative to other technologies.

Can't wait for 5G.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #22

Xfinity - not sure level of service but measures at:
182mbps download
10.3mbps upload
9ms latency
Old 05-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got about 30 Mbps.

Since there was no 30 Mbps on the poll, I chose the closer number of 25.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedtest.jpg (32.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #24

How does this work? If you are fine with 50, does going to 200 change anything that you will notice? I guess I’m trying to better understand the difference between speed and bandwidth. Don’t I get more bandwidth with more speed? I’ve streamed some 4K videos with my 30 service and it seemed to work fine.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

114.6 down... 11.4 up.... off of wi-fi. Spectrum.... $65/month plus a $20/month promotional credit for the first 12 months... so $45/month for the first 12 months, $65/month thereafter.

They offer 30 mbps for $35/month... $15/month for the first 12 months.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I used to have the slowest speed like 3 Mbps. Now at 30 Mbps feels like the internet is flying . Fine for my needs.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes bandwidth and speed are equivalent, sometimes not. Many people use the terms interchangeably, sometimes correct, sometimes not.

Difference Between Bandwidth and Speed | Difference Between

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #28

Another consideration is that your wifi network is a separate system. Regardless of your internet speed, your wifi network will only give you the best speed available to your least capable device that is connected to it.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
How does this work? If you are fine with 50, does going to 200 change anything that you will notice? I guess I’m trying to better understand the difference between speed and bandwidth. Don’t I get more bandwidth with more speed? I’ve streamed some 4K videos with my 30 service and it seemed to work fine.
If you are fine, then ok. Like you, I have 80? Not even sure what the basic speed is at this time.

If you have multiple you's, and you're getting interruptions, choppiness, etc., then you would pay for higher level package.

Bandwidth is provided by your devices internal to home network.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Just a few days ago I upgraded from 25Mbps to 100, and the price dropped from $79 to $44. Impossible? Well, it's amazing what competition will do. The electric co-op is running fiber, and will offer 100Mbps at $44, and 1G at $79. The cable company was set to offer 100 at over $100/month, but suddenly they found they could drop the price. They've done it preemptively before the fiber is available, I'm sure hoping people won't switch. I'll probably try the fiber and pick the better. My cable really isn't a little over 100Mbps so far, except over the holiday weekend when the resort was crowded and everyone was streaming movies and stuff in the evening, and it dropped to about 30. In ski season I'll bet it's worse, though they claimed they'll be adding more lines or whatever it takes to improve the capacity.

I went to an info session for the fiber. People asked about 100M vs 1G, and they said most wouldn't need 1G. A home business or a heavy gamer might want 1G. I could see the use for 1G if I was still telecommuting in my tech job.

11 years ago I was still on dial up here. I was thrilled when I could get 1.5 Mbps DSL. That was the real game changer for me. Higher speed is certainly nice, but the difference isn't as important.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I have 75 Mbps. It was 50, but when I started investigating my options I discovered they had raised the speed for the same price but had neglected to inform me. You have to stay on top of those bastards fellows!

Anyway, 50 was more than I needed for surfing and streaming 1080p video, but since I could get the upgrade for no additional charge I did it.
Ditto here on the 50 that was upgraded to 75 at no additional charge ($62/mo with tax).

After living with miserably slow internet for 20+ years (less than 3 Mbps except between 2 and 4 AM during alternating full moons when the dew point was less than 40 degrees F), we finally got fiber the end of March. I could get a higher speed package but see no benefit other than added cost.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another consideration is that your wifi network is a separate system. Regardless of your internet speed, your wifi network will only give you the best speed available to your least capable device that is connected to it.
What does that mean? I understand that wifi speed can degrade with distance and through walls. But why is it limited to my "least capable device that is connected to it"? If I have some old Roku box that isn't very fast, how would that affect my laptop?

I did find it worthwhile to upgrade my wifi. I got a combined Netgear Nighthawk cable modem/wifi router and I get the same 100Mbps on all 3 floors, with maybe 1-2% loss in places. I have one bathroom in a corner that only gets about 60. Maybe a combination of the distance, walls, and a full mirror.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The electric co-op is running fiber, and will offer 100Mbps at $44, and 1G at $79. T
Much better pricing than our co-op charges: 75 Mbps = $60, 150 = $80, 300 = $126, 1G = $150.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What does that mean? I understand that wifi speed can degrade with distance and through walls. But why is it limited to my "least capable device that is connected to it"? If I have some old Roku box that isn't very fast, how would that affect my laptop?
It means what I said. Your wifi network will only put out the speed/throughput that your least capable device can handle.

If you have a brand new laptop that handles the current standard (802.11ac (but recently renamed to WiFi 5), that's all well and good.

But if you also have connected an older device that may have been built in 2010 or so, that can only handle 802.11n (now called WiFi 4), that is what your network will provide. Your newer device will be handicapped, in other words.

Disconnect that older device and your newer laptop will be served with the best it can handle.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Yes... when we went from 15 mbps DSL to 100 mbps cable internet last year, I had to upgrade my aged wi-fi router in order to get the 100 mbps speed.

It was obviously the wi-fi router because if I plugged into the modem with a LAN wire I got 100 mbps but could not get anywhere near that using wi-fi... got a new wi-fi router and all is 100 mbps or better.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had AT&T 1G fiber for three years. I have yet to see 1000 download speed but very rarely see less than 600MB. I imagine if I used the ethernet connection I could see faster speeds but we are good with wifi clocking in for 600MB. This includes a macbook, two ipads, streaming tv, and two iphones pretty much downloading the preponderance of the day. We pay $95/mo and have had the same rate for the three years.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

200 Mbps. Over the past few years we've gone from 50 to 75 to 100 to 150 to 200 with virtually no price increase.

When all the kids come home, sometimes there are six people tapping into the bandwidth. Plus, I telecommuted my last year at Megacorp... the speed and reliability were almost required.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It means what I said. Your wifi network will only put out the speed/throughput that your least capable device can handle.

If you have a brand new laptop that handles the current standard (802.11ac (but recently renamed to WiFi 5), that's all well and good.

But if you also have connected an older device that may have been built in 2010 or so, that can only handle 802.11n (now called WiFi 4), that is what your network will provide. Your newer device will be handicapped, in other words.

Disconnect that older device and your newer laptop will be served with the best it can handle.
That doesn't sound right, and it doesn't appear to be very true, though it's not totally false.

https://www.howtogeek.com/210062/how...n-do-about-it/

Regarding whether an 802.11b device will drag everything else down:
Quote:
Imagine all your Wi-Fi devices taking turns. When it’s the 802.11b device’s turn, it communicates slowly and every other device has to wait longer for it to finish talking to the router. But, when it’s a faster device’s turn to communicate with the router, it can still communicate just as quickly. There’s just a slowdown while the new devices twiddle their thumbs, waiting longer than normal for the 802.11b device to communicate with the router. In other words, this doesn’t mean the newer devices are slowed down to 802.11b speeds.

The solution is switching to 5 GHz Wi-Fi. You can get a modern 802.11ac router that uses 5 GHz Wi-Fi for 802.11ac and still offers 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi your older 802.11b/g/n devices can connect to. ... Those old 802.11b devices can’t connect to 5 GHz networks — only 2.4 GHz networks. That means all 5 GHz Wi-Fi will be unsullied by all those 802.11b devices.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #39

Just did a speed test now. 15.72 DL With 3-5 devices connected. We stream everything and rarely have a problem.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #40

We are using a sprint hotspot. I have been using it for a year now in anticipation of being partial year nomads. Here is my speed test today. 74.8 MBS download and 26.5 MBS upload.

I have 10 devices connected.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote