Join Early Retirement Today

Poor alternative investment idea - Viaticals
Old 02-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Poor alternative investment idea - Viaticals

Besides the macbre factor this type of investment appears to be a rip-off. Good sense goes out the window for some people and all they see are dollar signs.

DFW investors learn the unspoken risks of betting on death | Business | Dallas Business,...
Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Be careful! Someone may object to your criticism of a legitimate retirement vehicle.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easypick View Post
Besides the macbre factor this type of investment appears to be a rip-off. Good sense goes out the window for some people and all they see are dollar signs.

DFW investors learn the unspoken risks of betting on death | Business | Dallas Business,...
While it appears that there are many questions concerning the conduct of the company (Life Partners) cited in the article, I do respectfully take issue with your comment about the basic concept of viaticals being a "rip off".

Not only do they allow people that need to liquidate their insurance policy a way to extract as much value from it as possible by creating a secondary market for it (just like how the secondary market for individual bonds has improved with more competition over the years), but it also does create an alternative investment option for those seeking diversification.

Would I suggest someone roll over their ENTIRE 401k into them (as apparently some misguided souls did with policies sold by Life Partners)? Obviously not, just like I wouldn't suggest someone roll over their entire 401k into any single investment or single investment type. I personally wouldn't recommend someone invest in a viatical unless they had several million in their portfolio, since it certainly has a different type of "longevity" risk (although completely uncorrelated) that is not found in any other investment or portfolio option.

But the general idea of viaticals does usually yield a decent (5%-12%) return when REASONABLY priced, with TRUE actuarial assumptions.

Basing a review of the entire viatical industry from that article is similar to comparing a mutual fund with crazy high expenses and high sales load from a retail broker (5% load, 2% annual expenses) to a Vanguard mutual fund, and saying that the entire mutual fund industry is a rip-off because they analyzed the retail broker's offering as an example. Sure, there may be many wolves out there, but it doesn't mean that the basic concept is inherently bad - you just have to be very careful and read the fine print.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Administrator

The many questions against Life Partners include a lawsuit by the SEC for investor fraud and investors asking why the auditors Ernst & Young resigned.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote