Pope Benedict XVI gets it: Retires early

In pontifical terms, I suppose age 85 would be considered ER, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
He will in future be known as [-]Eggs[/-] Ex Benedict.

Wonder if he has a COLA'd pension?

It was sad to watch the obvious deterioration of his predecessor. Good decision.

Now if they would open the job to women, that would be a really good thing.

OMG! (pun) I can't believe someone posted that here LOL!

Retiring early at 85? LOL!

But of course you're correct - with a pope, it's early if any time before death.

But, wow - breaking a 600 year tradition? That's impressive!

No Mas....or is that No Mass? :LOL:

Good for him to call it a career (if you can call being the Pope a career).

Any bets on the next pope being female.

I always knew Hillary would not be staying out of politics for too long.

He is setting a wonderful example by retiring on his own terms before his decline becomes painfully obvious to everyone. Very few prominent people can do that.

Here's my nominee:

Attachments

• user3853_pic642_1293294904_thumb.jpg
    user3853_pic642_1293294904_thumb.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 192
He's tired and ill so it makes sense that he has decided to retire. Good for him to make the decision now.

I doubt that he has a pension for being in that job. Someone asked on TV today "what does the church do with a retired pope"? No one knows the answer to that question. There has never been an ex-Pope so what will he do all day? He needs to join the RE forum so we can encourage him.:greetings10:

Upon resigning, he will go to the papal summer residence near Rome, and then will move to a cloistered residence in the Vatican.
-- The Guardian

Many people urged his predecessor to do the same.

And for those who ask the question, "how much notice should I give?", should note the Pope gave 2 weeks:D

Having a job that you are guaranteed to have for life is the reason why I never became the Pope or a Federal Judge...well, that and I'm not Catholic, wanted to be married to a woman, and have no interest in studying law.

Now that he has time to stop and relax and think, he may take up a new career, hobbies, maybe dabble with other religions.

I for one admire the Pope for facing his own limitations and seeing the need to move on. He is doing what many of us would like to do but can't. Leave the pressure of the full time job as Pope and take on a less stressful part-time job ( I believe he said he would spend his time in prayer and study.)

Interesting that the Vatican is the only country I know of that allows its next "Leader for Life" to be chosen by a bunch of outsiders. Or are all those Cardinals considered citizens of the Vatican State?

Um, well, I don't think there are any female cardinals yet.
We have lots of them here. They are not as colorful as the males, but have the same distinctive crest on the top of their head.

Jesus' General: The Verrotte Schwanzlutscherin Are Lying About Me

"I resigned for the reasons I stated. I'm sick and I'm tired. I'm sick and tired of the Swiss Guard's failure to follow my orders to occupy the Sudetenland and invade Poland. I'm tired of that bitchy queen, Cardinal Lajolo's, snarky remarks about the cut of my Falda and maniple--as if that silly arschgeige knows the difference between Prada and prosciutto. And most of all, I'm tired of all those Hollywood prostituierten upstaging me as they model their dresses on the award show red carpets. The Grammys were the last straw. I'm done."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom