Join Early Retirement Today

Portable building moving
Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Portable building moving

For the guys who like moving things . I had a portable building on my property 32' X 12' to me a big mother for good old boys to move . A friend wanted the building so I sold it . Understand I live on rural property with a 900 yard driveway through the trees . I found A guy out here who told me he moves buildings / houses every day. Sent him text photos he quoted 600.00 The building is being moved around 10 miles away . So he calls me on the day of moving and says hey I am here but I don't want to bring my trailer down the driveway ….. Tells me his trailer is 40' and he can't make the angle easily . So I walk to the end of the driveway he is unloading this little tugger / mule . He drives it back my driveway with two dollies hooked to the back . I asked him what the , this thing had a Honda lawnmower engine . He lifts the back mounts the dollies drives around the front hooks his mule up . Oh the Mule had wireless remote control so he didn't ride it back down the driveway . His trailer was a tilt trailer so he just pulls the building right up . The trailer had a factory setup for his mule . straps it down and gone . It took the 3 hours from start to complete setup . Technology .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #2

And he probably walked away thinking "Easy Money".
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #3

I am very disappointed at the lack of photos in this story.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

No photos , but I was worried when he got here he was going to say I can't do it . But he remotely drove my building down the driveway . I actually told him it was worth more then 600.00 , but he laughed and said if you want to give me more I will take it but I said 600.00 . Then he said gotta go because of the rain I am having to double up . And believe it or not he was getting calls about moving buildings while he was moving mine . Must be good business .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
And he probably walked away thinking "Easy Money".
And that is a case of "every one wins". Nothing better than both side thinking they got a bargain!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #6

Reminds me of how the military defines "portable": anything you can weld two handles on.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

How did he lift the back of the building up to put the dollies under? Sounds like he's got things figured out pretty well

We have an 8'x16' out building we use for storage. Also a 30 or 35' trailer we use as a job shack. We use a tow truck with a tilt bed if we have to move them.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
gone traveling

I was able to move a small shed with a little help. I have a friend who was moving, and needed a 10x12 shed moved, so I took my utility tractor, and 16' long trailer to his house.

We were able to run a strap under the shed, and lift one end with my loader, and put it down on some concrete blocks I had brought. We did the same thing on the other end. We then had to do another 2 rounds of concrete blocks to get it high enough to back the trailer underneath it. We then lifted it high enough to remove the blocks, and set it down on the rails/fenders of the trailer. I took back roads about 30 mph to move it 10 miles.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #9

That sounds like a cool setup. It would have been fun to watch.

I moved our small 8'x12' shed back in 2005, an operation no where near as interesting as your move. It was bolted to a slab, so I had to brace it and jack it up. I was already using a bobcat for some landscaping work so I thought I would try using it to pull the shed. I honestly expected the shed to fall apart on the short journey to the other side of our yard, but it held up well.

2005 - Moving The Shed

That little shed is now 29 years old and still looks great. I fixed up the inside a few years ago with new lighting, OSB walls, and new shelves and tool racks.

Organizing the Tool Shed
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote