Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Quite correct, which is why it is funny. It takes characters that many of us have encountered and pushes their attributes to the extreme, like the Church Lady character on Saturday Night Live.
Thought the first 3:18 of the first episode was funny but barely managed to finish 2 episodes.

Exscuse me while I go off on a rant here. Problem with pushing attributes to extreme like SNL is one knows what's going to happen before it happens, so it's not funny. Or it could be funny if it was kept to a line or two instead of 3+ minutes. Any two lines from the leads during the scene where they ordered free range chicken would have been funny, but after 2 lines it's just pedantic.

This sort of humor is like the liam neeson ricky gervais bit on youtube where Liam announces he's going to do comedy. I can't see what people find funny about everything he does in the rest of the skit, both trying to be funny, talking about comedy and his role in comedy because after the first couple lines the viewer knows no matter what Liam says it's going to be 180 degrees from what a person with a sense of humor would say.

Liam not being funny:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I am 70, standards were different then.
I'll be 65 here in a few weeks. I do recall one of my HS teachers bringing in "The Chemical Elements" by TL. Best Science class period of the semester - a good time was had by all and we begged to hear it twice more IIRC.

The Elements (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Reminder from IFC

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #24

What... four years late to the party, am I?

This show is great!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After watching Portlandia for several years now, I still find it very funny and am always sad when their too short season ends. IFC generally has offbeat humor and Portlandia leads the pack.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

For those of us who are still have cable, there are several back to back episodes of Portlandia airing Sunday starting at 1 pm Eastern.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #27

I watched it some, funny enough in a stupid kind of way.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
For those of us who are still have cable, there are several back to back episodes of Portlandia airing Sunday starting at 1 pm Eastern.

Thanks - I have access through Comcast ($100+ a month!) for a little longer but then only streaming. I'm also cramming TCM in the remaining time.

I listened to those posts in the "Dropped Cable TV" thread and am glad I did.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote