Portlandia

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Any other Portlandia fans out there?

They only made about 1/2 dozen episides in 2011, but season #2 just started recently so I guess we're on for another go-round. It took me about 3 episodes to "get it", but now I'm a big fan. Anyone else?

Portlandia is a television series that debuted on the Independent Film Channel (IFC) on January 21, 2011.[3] The show, produced by Andrew Singer and Jonathan Krisel, is set and filmed both in and near Portland, Oregon and features Saturday Night Live cast member Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein, formerly of Sleater-Kinney[1] and current lead guitarist/singer for Wild Flag.[4]
The name Portlandia refers to the sculpture of the same name above the entrance of the Portland Building on Fifth Avenue in downtown Portland.[5] The statue also appears in the opening montage title sequence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portlandia_(TV_series)

Last edited:
Any other Portlandia fans out there?

They only made about 1/2 dozen episides in 2011, but season #2 just started recently so I guess we're on for another go-round. It took me about 3 episodes to "get it", but now I'm a big fan. Anyone else?

]Error
Cacao!

Watched some recorded episodes for the first time last night. We were ROFL the whole time.

Streamed in Netflix, ran out of season, while I was still yucking it up.

The episode with the dumpster diving was hysterical -

We locals have mixed feelings about Portlandia It is hilarious, I know of no one who is offended but we fear that some will move here expecting the culture it depicts and jobs. The latter is the major issue because we just don't have any to spare.

We really do have some residents who go overboard on vegan / organic / environmental protection minutia and think they are 'special'.

:rant: Cyclists are a prime example. The firemen lifting a car off the cyclist this week was featured across the country's news but what got attention locally is the cyclist end up in the hospital was cited for illegal lane change and improper use of a lane. :facepalm: We all know that many others deserve it. One ran a 4-way stop on my husband last week and took a fall. He tried to accuse my husband of hitting him when another motorist shouted out that he was lying and that he was prepared to testify that he ran the stop sign as well. The guy got back on his bike and pedaled off.

Portlandia Premiere: Has Portland Replaced Seattle as the Northwest

Here is a Slate piece by some Seattle hipster. I don't like Portlandia; it reminds me too much of all the life-wasters I once knew at Venice Beach. Stanford graduates dumpster diving or pilfering from health food stores or selling drugs. To me, dumpster diving or the rural equivalent, dump picking, is sickening, unless you are very poor in Rio or Cairo of some other horrible place.

I know the show is a sendup, but you cannot send these people far enough to satisfy me. I did like the episode in the feminist book store. But if you know any of these types, you really don't want to see more of them on TV. Our mayor Mike McGinn belongs on the show, except he is humorless and even more ugly than the actors.

I don't know if this is an accurate reflection of a Portland style. It really is not similar to any groups I can identify here is Seattle. Most of the "ecologically concerned" here are rich tech workers and their even more aware wives.

There is a subculture in my neighborhood of hipsters who work in hip coffee houses or restaurants, wear those funny belts with studs, are really skinny and pasty looking, except if they are female then they have a prominent muffin top bulging over their too tight skinny leg black jeans and they have no bottoms.

But fortunately there are many more young people trying to get educated, trying to get rich, trying to walk up the hill from work downtown to get home.

Ha

I watched the first episode on the internet and quickly realized that this is not the Portland I know and have lived in for decades.

Quite correct, which is why it is funny. It takes characters that many of us have encountered and pushes their attributes to the extreme, like the Church Lady character on Saturday Night Live.

My circle doesn't take it seriously at all, and they are all retired professionals.. several graduates of America's top universities.. one a Rhodes Scholar. They have never been flaky but did play Tom Lehrer's music in the late 50s.

Portlandia is probably as much like Portland as The Killing series is about Seattle (in that series it rains 24/7; filmed in Vancouver :)). But Portlandia sounds very funny.

Quite correct, which is why it is funny. It takes characters that many of us have encountered and pushes their attributes to the extreme, like the Church Lady character on Saturday Night Live.
Thought the first 3:18 of the first episode was funny
but barely managed to finish 2 episodes.

Exscuse me while I go off on a rant here. Problem with pushing attributes to extreme like SNL is one knows what's going to happen before it happens, so it's not funny. Or it could be funny if it was kept to a line or two instead of 3+ minutes. Any two lines from the leads during the scene where they ordered free range chicken would have been funny, but after 2 lines it's just pedantic.

This sort of humor is like the liam neeson ricky gervais bit on youtube where Liam announces he's going to do comedy. I can't see what people find funny about everything he does in the rest of the skit, both trying to be funny, talking about comedy and his role in comedy because after the first couple lines the viewer knows no matter what Liam says it's going to be 180 degrees from what a person with a sense of humor would say.

Liam not being funny:

After watching Portlandia for several years now, I still find it very funny and am always sad when their too short season ends. IFC generally has offbeat humor and Portlandia leads the pack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom