Join Early Retirement Today

Possible fork in the road: Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, or Jacksonville, FL
Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Possible fork in the road: Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, or Jacksonville, FL

OK, we have a possible opportunity to move to Florida sometime in the next 6 to 9 months. The specific location may dictated to us (this would be a relocation for DH's job), but maybe not either...we may be able to "push" it one way or the other. My job prospect(s) are wide open, being in healthcare, so I am asking really about location/quality of life/costs, etc.

So, if you had to choose between living in any of these 3 cities in Florida, why/why not would you live there?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We can discuss in more detail by PM, but personally I would consider Tampa and Jacksonville. Tampa is adjacent to St. Pete, Clearwater, and a few other interesting places. Beaches are important for recreation and tourism, and really do enhance or quality of life. Cost of living is about at the national median and housing opportunities are fantastic, so my DW realtor tells me.

Unlike "resort" cities here and elsewhere, Tampa is kind of a typical working city - lots of tourists sites but also lots of plain old neighborhoods for teachers, nurses, tradespeople, etc. along with richer neighborhoods - pretty much whatever you want.

West Florida has a rich history, and seems more laid back to me than the east coast. Congratulations on your career opportunities - let me know if you have more questions.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There's a reason the Navy calls it "Fort Liquordale"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Since you already have friends in Sarasota I'd opt for Tampa . I have heard that Jacksonville is cheaper and its near St. Augustine which is an awesome city .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Since you already have friends in Sarasota I'd opt for Tampa . I have heard that Jacksonville is cheaper and its near St. Augustine which is an awesome city .
Wow, you pay attention!

Yes, my personal preference is the Tampa area, since we have been to Sarasota and have thoroughly enjoyed our time there. I just want to make sure that I am not biasing myself, since I have never been to Jacksonville or Ft. Lauderdale. DH has been to Ft. Lauderdale, and thought it was beautiful there. So we are trying to keep an open mind and look at all options. We may not be able to sway the place for relocation, but it is a possibility....

RIT, thanks for your feedback as well. We are so excited about this potential move! Nice to know we could find a nice working neighborhood that wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg.

So Nords, is "Fort Liquordale" a good or bad thing? We do like to drink.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll also recommend the Tampa St Pete area, more choices in just about everything you'd want to do,
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If all else fails, you can fall back to Yogi Berra: when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

Fort Lauderdale used to be a big spring break town . I do not think it is anymore .It's on the east coast so it attracts more New Yorkers than the west coast . I've only been there to board cruise ships so I have no idea about the town . I also live on the border of Sarasota and Bradenton and it is a nice place to live most of the year .
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, I'd stay clear of the Club Pink Pussy Cat (especially with a poster name like "Simple Girl"). It turned out to be a very bad thing... or so I was told the next afternoon. One of our sailors lost rank at a subsequent Captain's Mast and entered in-patient alcoholism treatment, and our Supply Officer probably ripped a few pages out of the back of his Book of Life. But everybody made bail & sobered up was OK.

I think it's tough to live in a town that has a regular influx of large crowds of out-of-state visitors clogging up the streets and businesses.

I remember that the land around Fort Lauderdale and Tampa was awful darn flat-- as in "storm surge ruh-roh" flat. I don't remember Pensacola's elevation.

Shipmates moved to Tampa about a year ago. They bought a short-sale house that's ~80 years old and they'll probably make money off it someday, but it's a sweat-equity project. They're discovering the joys of "This Damn House", knob & tube electrical "wiring", yardwork, mosquitos, humidity, and retrofitting for A/C. They sorely miss their Hawaii condo.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, I'd stay clear of the Club Pink Pussy Cat (especially with a poster name like "Simple Girl").
Oh my! We'll be sure to keep our distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Shipmates moved to Tampa about a year ago. They bought a short-sale house that's ~80 years old and they'll probably make money off it someday, but it's a sweat-equity project. They're discovering the joys of "This Damn House", knob & tube electrical "wiring", yardwork, mosquitos, humidity, and retrofitting for A/C. They sorely miss their Hawaii condo.
When we buy, it definitely will be something newer, with minimal maintenance required. Our previous house broke us of the desire to ever build "sweat-equity" again.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
OK, we have a possible opportunity to move to Florida sometime in the next 6 to 9 months. The specific location may dictated to us (this would be a relocation for DH's job), but maybe not either...we may be able to "push" it one way or the other. My job prospect(s) are wide open, being in healthcare, so I am asking really about location/quality of life/costs, etc.

So, if you had to choose between living in any of these 3 cities in Florida, why/why not would you live there?
I can't comment on the choice of cities but wanted to ask if you are pleased for your DH to have a job opportunity to move (if I remember right he's in a similar line of work to myself). We've moved a number of times with my job and always enjoyed the challenge and change of location.

Good luck with whichever option you choose and keep us posted
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I can't comment on the choice of cities but wanted to ask if you are pleased for your DH to have a job opportunity to move (if I remember right he's in a similar line of work to myself). We've moved a number of times with my job and always enjoyed the challenge and change of location.

Good luck with whichever option you choose and keep us posted
Oh, we are very excited! We have moved several times for DH's job in the past (yes, he is an engineer, too - automation controls). Each time we have enjoyed the excitement of the move, learning about a new place, etc. The main draw back is having to leave where I currently work; each time that is difficult, but so far I have adjusted well to each new job.

DH has been assigned to several projects in Florida recently, and thus has been developing new contacts there. We have thoroughly enjoyed our visits to Sarasota and have since been intrigued with the idea of living in FL. DH mentioned to the regional for the FL area of our interest in living there someday, and she was very receptive to the idea. So....the wheels have been started in motion...we will see where this progresses. Although nothing is firm on this, it sure has made us start dreaming about the next possible adventure in our lives.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jacksonville's population is on the young side overall. Tampa's isn't so much if that makes a difference to you. And Ft. Lauderdale will just be way too pricey as you pay for all that beauty.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #14

Another vote for Tampa here. It's got a nice combo of bigger city plus outlying beach and suburban communities.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #15

I may be the lone voice for Ft. Lauderdale here; but, that is one of the locations I am seriously considering for my own relocation. Here are my thoughts compared to Tampa and Jacksonville:

Climate is a major reason for my impending move; and, Jacksonville is too cool in the winter for my personal taste. I am probably one of the few people in this country who does not mind the heat and humidity of the south Florida summers.

Proximity to Miami International Airport (MIA) is important to me because I currently spend a great deal of time flying to customer sites. And, not having to connect from a regional airport makes this much less complicated and annoying.

I just really like the area from a bit north of Ft. Lauderdale down to just past Coral Gables.

Having said all of this; I still have not made a firm decision for myself yet.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #16

I live in the Jacksonville area at the beach. This is one of the few areas I would suggest considering. However, there are many places you should avoid. Jacksonville for quite a few years has been one of the top cities in violent crimes and murder (per capita) in the state if not the country. The public school system is poor to say the least. And if you are a health care provider (like a nurse) you may have a very difficult time finding a job. The great majority of graduating nurses from UNF, FCCJ, JU, etc. are not able to find a job.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
And if you are a health care provider (like a nurse) you may have a very difficult time finding a job. The great majority of graduating nurses from UNF, FCCJ, JU, etc. are not able to find a job.

I am shocked at that . I'm an RN and jobs are plentiful in Sarasota and Manatee County . We also have a huge amount of sport medicine in these areas due to the all the baseball teams and the huge IMG academy in Bradenton were most of the tennis players train .
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #18

I have to admit, I am partial to the west coast of FL as I have a small vacation home in Ft. Myers.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
Administrator

Comparing these three areas is like comparing countries in different continents – there are some pretty significant cultural differences. Broward County (Ft Lauderdale area) is much more culturally and socially diverse and has a much greater Latin influence, previously cuban but now much more south american. Folks I know either enjoy it a lot or dislike it, not many neutral feelings. It is culturally poor, likewise the schools. Lots of transient population.

Not sure about Tampa or Jacksonville, but in Broward you can only get homeowners insurance and wind from Citizens or one of the new fly by night schools of house insurance, and it is both pricey and dicey.

For the record, I lived in Broward, now live a few miles north in palm beach county. Different culture, not necessarily better.

Final point – New York accents and attitudes abound all year 'round and insufferably so in winter.

I'm happy to share more details via pm
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am shocked at that . I'm an RN and jobs are plentiful in Sarasota and Manatee County . We also have a huge amount of sport medicine in these areas due to the all the baseball teams and the huge IMG academy in Bradenton were most of the tennis players train .
I teach nurse, pre-med, etc. students at one of the colleges mentioned. The classes are full each term but the job market is just not in their favor in Jacksonville for most of those completing their nursing program.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote