Possible fraud on checking acct

I just called and someone live answered. They're a "check processing company for numerous different companies." Hmmm. They're based in Cyprus. :confused:

Fill out a Stop ETF form at your bank or credit union. ACH transfers can be refunded.

Phishing

Funny, something similar happened to me last week. On my work computer, I received a suspicious email from a company purporting to be TD Waterhouse, warning me about suspicious transactions on my TDW account. The failure of the TDW logo to load was an obvious clue that this was phishing. I checked my account online and called TDW, which confirmed that there had been no suspicious transactions. Then I deleted the email. Obviously it fooled the (Paranoid) level of security at my workplace. I suggest setting your security software at a high level of vigilance for antiphishing.

If you didn't authorize it, it is fraud. Scream at your bank ASAP.

The problem is they want me to close the account. That's a big hassle. I have multiple direct deposits, outstanding checks, not to mention how that might effect Quicken.

I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Do you use paypal or any other online service that does eft's, like your brokerage or another bank?

Paypal alone has long a brazillion tons of its customers credit card and bank account information over time.

Have you authorized a magazine or other subscription service to automatically debit your account? That info may have been sold or stolen.

Interestingly enough, this probable scammer has a full privacy policy, although it seems to have been written by someone with only a mediocre grasp of english and very poorly edited.

I have a few brokerage firms setup to debit my checking account periodically. Plus a few other online companies have it. So someone has compromised data. I'll probably read about it in the news in a few months.

Oh well, set up a new checking account - what a pain in the butt. Glad I check my accounts almost daily.

Thanks for the info.

I also just received a paper draft on my account from this merchant. I got a live person one time and have rec'd a busy signal ever since. I also have some magazine subscriptions that come due in October, but I hardly think Time, People, Nat'l Geo Expl and InStyle use a Cypriot company to process. I also have multiple online sites which use the card associated with this account. Has anyone had additional debits? Did your account look as if you had cut an electronic check?

Back
Top Bottom