Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Update: The SSD upgrade for my SIL unded out as a no go.

SIL received SSD from Amazon, brought the computer shop and had laptop HD replaced with SSD. I called talked to my brother (her DH) yesterday, he said everything is working and laptop runs a lot faster. I message SIL today reminding her to turn of hibernation setting. No answer. Talk to brother today and he says SSD died, brought laptop to computer place and they said SSD died. Wants money back.

Not sure if SSD really died or not working due to human error but going to go forward with return and money back. Oh well...
Well that's unfortunate. Just curious as to make of the SSD.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Well that's unfortunate. Just curious as to make of the SSD.
Update: Brother is going to send the SSD back to me and I'll check to make sure it's no good. If so, I'll send back for refund.

I'm not convinced the SSD is no good and not just human error as from what brother said (it's his wife's laptop), after the computer shop they brought the laptop to tried, now the laptop acts up even with the original HDD.

So, I wonder if there is more to the problem than a bad SSD. Though, according to brother and SIL, the computer place says SSD is bad.

If I lived closer, I would have stopped by and done the clone and swap drive myself, but I'm about 250 miles away.

The make is Sandisk. According to Amazon reviews, there are some complaints of DOA or SSDs only working a short time before dying. Maybe they got a dud.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9G43WU

Surprising to me that Sandisk would have bad one as they aren't some knockoff brand and is probably the most recognized brand for SD cards.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Update: Looks like all parties are happy. SSD wasn't defective but human error. Probably a combination of both client (SIL) having junk on computer in the first place and repair guy not cloning to SSD properly.

But now, client has working SSD so all is good.

As for details of what wasn't working in the first place, I have no clue as I wasn't there and the message was passed down 3rd hand.

Makes me wonder now how many SSDs are returned to Amazon as defective when in reality ... human error .
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Makes me wonder now how many SSDs are returned to Amazon as defective when in reality ... human error .
Quite a few.

I used to work for a major SSD manufacturer and retailer. They would test and bin customer returns to see which ones could be resold as refurbished/open box. I don't remember the number but the vast majority of the returns were "NTF" meaning no trouble found - as far as we could tell, the drives were working flawlessly.

They're extremely reliable products. I think the overall industry failure rate is something like 1/8th that of traditional hard drives. This is largely because the only moving parts in SSDs are electrons and the raw part count is quite small relative to traditional drives (and the key components of flash memory and controllers are tested multiple times during the manufacturing process).
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Quite a few.

I used to work for a major SSD manufacturer and retailer. They would test and bin customer returns to see which ones could be resold as refurbished/open box. I don't remember the number but the vast majority of the returns were "NTF" meaning no trouble found - as far as we could tell, the drives were working flawlessly.

They're extremely reliable products. I think the overall industry failure rate is something like 1/8th that of traditional hard drives. This is largely because the only moving parts in SSDs are electrons and the raw part count is quite small relative to traditional drives (and the key components of flash memory and controllers are tested multiple times during the manufacturing process).
I was kind of looking forward to testing that "dead" SSD myself.

I do remember in the past buying a router from Walmart and after hours unsuccessfully trying to get the darn thing set up, tossed in the towel and did a return.