Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Possible security breach?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Possible security breach?

Out of the blue I was told by Yahoo to form a new password as someone was trying to get into my email account. I did that, it's a strong password and basically unbreakable.

Later on my Nexus 7 tablet I kept getting these annoying audio signals every few minutes that a new message was available. It turns out the message is "Couldn't sign in" from my yahoo.com account. So I finally connected the dots that someone really is trying to get into my account. The audio signals are still happening ... there goes another one. It's annoying now.

Gives me a sense of importance, that someone thinks I have great email to read.

Anybody had this happen? Or am I interpreting this incident incorrectly?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I guess that they are trying to gain proprietary stock trading info you said you generated from a bank of PCs at home, as mentioned in another thread.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I guess that they are trying to gain proprietary stock trading info you said you generated from a bank of PCs at home, as mentioned in another thread.
Yikes, I think you hit it on the head!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

See, even as an anonymous poster, one cannot be too careful.

Just joking...
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you need to use the Tor network and become somewhat invisible....?

https://www.torproject.org/
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Do you log in by user name or email address. I've occasionally forgotten my old one and tried to log in with something that turned out not to be right.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Do you log in by user name or email address. I've occasionally forgotten my old one and tried to log in with something that turned out not to be right.
There have been many login attempts. I would not be aware of this if just viewing on my PC. But the Nexus 7 tablet picks it up. Happens too many times to be a mistake.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Three likely possibilities -
1) You have the wrong password on your tablet and its you trying to log on with the wrong password.
2) Someone forgot their userid and keeps trying yours thinking its theirs.
3) Someone is really trying to break into your account.

Unless you are high profile or have pissed someone off, the first two are far more likely.
lrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak View Post
Three likely possibilities -
1) You have the wrong password on your tablet and its you trying to log on with the wrong password.
2) Someone forgot their userid and keeps trying yours thinking its theirs.
3) Someone is really trying to break into your account.

Unless you are high profile or have pissed someone off, the first two are far more likely.
I recently got the same message from Yahoo and reset my password. No messages about continuing access attempts. I suspect number 2 was the issue but when I changed the password, I caused number 1 to start happening. Interestingly I didn't get a reset notice based on the tablet's activities.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have had a few problems where my nexus 10 would experience problems logging in to comcast or yahoo. In one case the problem went away with a reboot. I did change my password once.

I think the scenario might be:
- password send gets munged
- device keeps trying
- your account gets flagged

I admit, it could be the bad guys. You should change password periodically in any event.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I've found my Lastpass to get caught in an endless loop of trying to get me logged into a page, usually because I've bookmarked the wrong one, and gets me locked out. I quit using yahoo because I felt like the security of my account there was sketchy. I love using Google's gmail, and the authenticator they offer. I use two step verification on everything I can.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like they have some problems with their infrastructure (or maybe massive breach?)
I'm getting same notices and after logging in, after few hours the site asks for login again
(normally only happens every two weeks)
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I recently got the same message from Yahoo and reset my password. No messages about continuing access attempts. I suspect number 2 was the issue but when I changed the password, I caused number 1 to start happening. Interestingly I didn't get a reset notice based on the tablet's activities.
Now I think I'm getting the situation through my thick head. But this is really showing some limits of technology hookups.

I get a Yahoo message that I should change my password because someone is trying to login. May well have been just someone doing an innocent mistake out there. I change the PW in Yahoo Mail. But my tablet that has been told to notify me of new mail every 5 minutes did not get the new PW. I guess because the tablet is running an app it behaves differently then Yahoo Mail in a web browser.

So it wasn't really me doing the dirty deed (frequent login attempts) but my tablet which was set up some weeks ago to do this sort of email checking. Solution is to drill down into the Nexus 7 settings to change the PW to the new one.

At least I think that fixes things. Thanks to all for the help. Sorry if I didn't understand some of your hints, it took awhile for me to understand the situation. Maybe this is common in tablet and smartphones but it's new to me.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

So it wasn't really me doing the dirty deed (frequent login attempts) but my tablet which was set up some weeks ago to do this sort of email checking. Solution is to drill down into the Nexus 7 settings to change the PW to the new one.

At least I think that fixes things. Thanks to all for the help. Sorry if I didn't understand some of your hints, it took awhile for me to understand the situation. Maybe this is common in tablet and smartphones but it's new to me.
Don't forget your smartphone if you have one. I fixed that first but forgot about the tablet.