Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Coffee cup? We don't need no stinking coffee cups.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, I guess I need a photo to show you some of the glasses, mugs, and cups that my wife bought. Besides, the OP said all beverages were allowed.

What you see in these cabinets in my breakfast nook are about 1/4 1/3 of all the glasses that we have, and in just the main home. My wife has enough so that if all of our guests want a martini glass, none will be left out. Ditto for tall glasses, tumblers, wine (2 or 3 per guest), champagne, and even cognac snifters, etc...

The cognac snifters were a surprise to me, because I thought I only had about 6 in the dining room cabinet, but just discovered another Courvoisier set when I looked inside one of the above cabinets in the kitchen. Oh boy, glasses are cheap, but what does it cost to pour XO or even VSOP for so many glasses? No way! I would have to keep some cheaper brandy on hand, and hide my little precious bottle.

Some of those have never been used and most likely never will be, but my wife said one could never be sure and we must be prepared. Oh well, glassware is cheap and she does not spend money on clothes or jewelry, so I just kept my mouth shut.

PS. I take the blame for the shot glasses on the shelves surrounding the clock. They are two-layer deep, and were bought as souvenirs from major international and US cities that we visited. I often looked at them, and could even remember the circumstances when I bought them.

Hoarder. cough cough.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Eh, my wife has the same belief expressed by ERD50 in the thread that spawned this one. That is beverages have to be consumed from the right cup or glass.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eh, my wife has the same belief expressed by ERD50 in the thread that spawned this one. That is beverages have to be consumed from the right cup or glasses.
Or can.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eh, my wife has the same belief expressed by ERD50 in the thread that spawned this one. That is beverages have to be consumed from the right cup or glasses.
My DW too. But our kitchen is rather small, and the cabinet space we have in total is about the same as what you have in your pic. So we are "space constrained hoarders". She just bought another reaaaallly cute set of six matching shot glasses...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The weird thing is my wife does not even drink. She said that it was for the benefits of our guests.

Hmm... Is she a gracious host, or is she a hoarder? Lemme think about it for a bit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

These threads have made me realize just how much simple enjoyment I get from those various coffee mugs we have. I'll try to get some pics later...

Quote:
Some of that is based on function, the narrow champagne flutes help to hold the carbonation, and you can see the bubbles longer. Long stems keep warm hands from the cooler wine styles, while a snifter lets body heat get to the liqueur. Some is historic, some is questionable benefit (I'm not sure I buy the idea that different wine glasses affect your perception by directing it to different parts of your tongue, but I wouldn't rule it out). But it is kinda fun - it's all part of the enjoyment for some of us.

Beer geeks get into their glassware. I'm building a collection, I guess I need a stange (long, thin, cylindrical 0.2 litre glass) for the few times I drink Kölsch ( I should brew one next).

Another history thing with glassware and beer - it isn't co-incidence that clear, lighter colored lagers (Pilsners) were first made popular in Czechoslovakia. That was where clear glass was first made cheap enough for the commoners. Before that, they drank their beer from pewter or stoneware (German Stein=stone) - so who cares if the beer is cloudy if you can't see it?

Quote:
The weird thing is my wife does not even drink. She said that it was for the benefits of our guests.

Hmm... Is she a gracious host, or is she a hoarder? Lemme think about it for a bit.
Gracious host, no doubt about it. And I'm the overbearing host, who berates guests for grabbing the wrong glass for their drink behind my back, or heaven forbid, drinking any quality beer from the bottle!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy! Now, I am afraid I made my wife look as picky as Martha Stewart (I have not watched her show, but I read somewhere that she is). Anyway, my wife just likes the shapes of different glasses and wants to have them, I think.

Well, there's that one time when she gave me a hard time for pouring wine into a plastic cup...

I never drink beer from the bottle. I don't even drink non-quality beer straight from a can.

But that is for a practical reason. When I tilt my head back to drink out of the bottle, it gives me a hiccup. Never fails. So, I have to pour it out onto a cup or a glass.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hoarder. cough cough.
A collector stores their possessions in display cabinets, while a hoarder piles their possessions on every horizontal surface...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Earlier, I said that I had no favorite coffee mug. Upon reflection, I realized that was not true. I drink coffee out of the same cup everyday, and if I misplaced it the day before, I would have to hunt it down for my morning coffee.

So, I do have a favorite cup. I am a creature of habit like anyone else. Yes, if I break it, I would move on to the next one, but only after cursing for a while. And I am not that bad a serial cup breaker, and a cup would stay with me for 10 years at least. And while I use it, it is mine. My wife has her own cup, and we do not even switch.

Without further ado, here's my favorite cup. For a while, my wife traveled for work often to an IBM plant there in Almaden, and that's how she got the cup as gift. I really like the black exterior/white interior. The white really sets off the coffee inside when filled. A lot of time, I like something, but if asked, I have to think about why.

I would be reluctant to show the mugs that I myself got in my work. They are commemorative of projects that are obscure and defunct, and some lurkers here might recognize them.

ERD50, you might be on to something here. There's a visual effect to the food and drink that we consume. But it does not have to cost an arm and a leg. Heck, in my case, the cup is free.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Or can.
Or Mason jar...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't drink coffee, so no favorite coffee cup. However this is my go to duvel beer glass!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I have a correction to make.

After telling the world about my wife's peculiar love of glasses, I really wondered how many we really have. So, I went look in the cabinets in the dining room and living room to see how many glasses we really had. These do not have glass doors at the lower shelves, hence I did not know what was in them.

What do you know, not too many glasses there, and these cabinets are now stocked mostly with plates, bowls, and dishes. I then looked in the hall closet and the other kitchen cabinets, but no, not too many glasses there either. I could swear there were glasses in those places.

So, the glass-door wall-hung cabinets that I took the photo of hold about 2/3 of all the glasses we have, not 1/3 as I estimated earlier. Obviously, my wife moved all the glasses to the glass-door cabinets for display. Ah, glass in glass, that's her method. And she must have taken some off to our other home too. I do not know exactly, but I am quite certain we do not have as many there as in this home (there simply aren't as many cabinets!). Maybe just 1/2 or 1/3 of the glasses. My sweet wife is no hoarder!

And while I was at it, I roughly counted some of them. Yes, we have 20+ wine glasses, many tumblers and tall glasses and little shot glasses (for drink, not my souvernir glasses), but only 12 for martini. And get this, she got me 12 Cognac snifters, 6 of which look nice enough to pour XO into, but of course my precious XO bottle would be well hidden before the guests arrive. OK, OK, I am really not that chintzy and have been known to pull it out from the back of the booze cabinet to share some with people who would appreciate it, particularly my 2 brothers because they reciprocate when I pay them a visit.

My wife saw me opening all the cabinets, and asked me "What are you doin'?", to which I responded "Nothing, just looking". That was of course the truth, but I could tell that she was not too satisfied with my answer. Still, she did not interrogate me further. I think that was because she still needed me to finish the trellis for her squash vine.

I cannot blame my wife for being suspicious though. Suppose I caught her upstairs, turning on my electronic equipment, pushing buttons and tweaking knobs, I would want to know why too.

PS. My wife and I never watch Martha Stewart's show, but in an earlier post I said I read somewhere that Martha was picky. Then I recalled that I read it here in this forum. Is my memory totally awesome or is it simply fantastic?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1147419

Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a correction to make.

After telling the world about my wife's peculiar love of glasses, I really wondered how many we really have. So, I went look in the cabinets in the dining room and living room to see how many glasses we really had. These do not have glass doors at the lower shelves, hence I did not know what was in them.

What do you know, not too many glasses there, and these cabinets are now stocked mostly with plates, bowls, and dishes. I then looked in the hall closet and the other kitchen cabinets, but no, not too many glasses there either. I could swear there were glasses in those places.

So, the glass-door wall-hung cabinets that I took the photo of hold about 2/3 of all the glasses we have, not 1/3 as I estimated earlier. Obviously, my wife moved all the glasses to the glass-door cabinets for display. Ah, glass in glass, that's her method. And she must have taken some off to our other home too. I do not know exactly, but I am quite certain we do not have as many there as in this home (there simply aren't as many cabinets!). Maybe just 1/2 or 1/3 of the glasses. My sweet wife is no hoarder!

And while I was at it, I roughly counted some of them. Yes, we have 20+ wine glasses, many tumblers and tall glasses and little shot glasses (for drink, not my souvernir glasses), but only 12 for martini. And get this, she got me 12 Cognac snifters, 6 of which look nice enough to pour XO into, but of course my precious XO bottle would be well hidden before the guests arrive. OK, OK, I am really not that chintzy and have been known to pull it out from the back of the booze cabinet to share some with people who would appreciate it, particularly my 2 brothers because they reciprocate when I pay them a visit.

My wife saw me opening all the cabinets, and asked me "What are you doin'?", to which I responded "Nothing, just looking". That was of course the truth, but I could tell that she was not too satisfied with my answer. Still, she did not interrogate me further. I think that was because she still needed me to finish the trellis for her squash vine.

I cannot blame my wife for being suspicious though. Suppose I caught her upstairs, turning on my electronic equipment, pushing buttons and tweaking knobs, I would want to know why too.

PS. My wife and I never watch Martha Stewart's show, but in an earlier post I said I read somewhere that Martha was picky. Then I recalled that I read it here in this forum. Is my memory totally awesome or is it simply fantastic?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1147419
Perhaps she's concerned you're going to invite all us over to your place. I'll bring some tequila and a salt shaker
Attached Images
File Type: png tequila.png (281.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a photo of what used to be my favorite coffee cup.

I don't know if the rest of the Navy or the other services had this model in their supply systems. And yes, the guys on Facebook's "Cold War Submarine Veterans" group are pretty excited to be able to buy them online!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Submarine coffee cup.jpg (271.1 KB, 9 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 08-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Good morning! I prefer to drink my breakfast calories with two of this 13 oz cup of really strong coffee with sugar and half-n-half.

IMG_0848sm.jpg
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually bought this mug for my DH several years ago. It's become our favorite mug.

image-1180739125.jpg

image-204097081.jpg
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have only had tequila in Margarita, but was told that the expensive tequila is drunk alone. I have also used rum in cocktails, and have not used the more expensive aged rum. I also know nothing about expensive single-malt whiskey.

As usual, if something is expensive and many people are willing to pay a lot for it, I assume that is really "good stuff". However, I am not interested in stuff that people would quaff down just to get drunk. One time, I poured cognac for a visitor to see him knock it down like college kids doing shots. It made me cringe.

Following is a song I have known for a long time, though I am not a tequila drinker. It must hold the record for having the shortest lyrics.

Back to coffee, for years we used powdered cream. Then, after reading about all that hydrogenated fats, we started to use real half-and-half. I drink coffee both black and with cream. In the morning, I start with cream and sugar then switch to black for 2nd cup. Why? I don't know why.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #39

In 1989, DW and I went to California on our honeymoon.
I took her to Monterey for a couple of days, since I wanted to show her where I lived while going to DLI at the Presidio.

I bought this mug at one of those crummy souvenir shops on Fisherman's Wharf, and I've used it just about every day for the last 23 years.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In 1989, DW and I went to California on our honeymoon.
I took her to Monterey for a couple of days, since I wanted to show her where I lived while going to DLI at the Presidio.
I bought this mug at one of those crummy souvenir shops on Fisherman's Wharf, and I've used it just about every day for the last 23 years.
We have a couple mugs from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We were volunteer guides there for almost three years, which gives you an idea of how "hard" we were working at Naval Postgraduate School.

I always enjoyed the DLI t-shirts that proudly proclaimed on the front "WE'RE LEARNING RUSSIAN..." and on the back "... so that you don't have to."

If that part of the country (and its ocean) stayed about 20 degrees warmer year-round then we'd probably still be living there.