Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Post a Picture of Your Favorite Coffee Cup

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

image-3569805274.jpg

This is mine. I like the yellow and the old style Donald Duck. Plus my grand kids like it.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Love it!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If that part of the country (and its ocean) stayed about 20 degrees warmer year-round then we'd probably still be living there.
I was only there for 6-7 months, but loved every day of it. It wasn't the temperature that kept me from considering it, just the cost of living.

During my time (early 80s), the population of the city of Monterey was about 25,000 and there were five (5, by my actual count) Mercedes dealers.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I was only there for 6-7 months, but loved every day of it. It wasn't the temperature that kept me from considering it, just the cost of living.
During my time (early 80s), the population of the city of Monterey was about 25,000 and there were five (5, by my actual count) Mercedes dealers.
We arrived there in 1986 to (just barely) buy a 3BR 1600 sq ft condo in Pacific Grove for $185K.

We sold it in 1989 (by ourselves) for $215K. It was on the market for six weeks and we had five offers. The buyer was a widow of a car dealer who was looking for a pied a terre while her Pebble Beach home was being built. She deposited $225K cash into escrow and we closed a week after she made the offer.

She lived in the place for six months and sold it in early 1990 for $289K.

Our profits from that condo enabled us to (just barely) buy our Oahu home, which we still own today.

I don't think we could buy into either Pacific Grove, Monterey, or our Hawaii home today without both of us going back to full-time employment.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Now that we have expanded the thread from coffee mugs to what is more important, the coffee itself, let me bring up this exotic coffee: Kopi Luwak.

It is in very limited production, with prices reaching $3000 per pound. Or you can buy a single brewed cup for $35 to $80 in specialty coffee shops (no Starbucks here). Yes, it's organic, just like the Moose Drool above.

Has anyone here tried that? No? Me neither.

Before anyone rushes out to buy it, he should do some research first. Start with this: Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound

Now that we have expanded the thread from coffee mugs to what is more important, the coffee itself, let me bring up this exotic coffee: Kopi Luwak.

It is in very limited production, with prices reaching $3000 per pound. Or you can buy a single cup for $35 to $80. Yes, it's organic, just like the Moose Drool above.

Has anyone here tried that? No? Me neither.

Before anyone rushes out to buy it, he should do some research first. Start with this: Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia.
I have not tried it myself, but our Pastor has. No, he isn't rich, far from it. He does, however, have a friend who serves with MAF in Indonesia. He is able to get the coffee reasonably and brought a package back to the states to share. From what I heard, it was quite good.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Well, it looks like there aren't many takers here.

I have heard of this exotic coffee for a long time, but am not too excited about drinking "recycled" coffee, even if it is all "organic". Then, this thread brought it back to mind, and I found the above Wiki article.

The links at the end of the Wiki article lead to some reviews. Many drinkers were not enthused about the taste and flavor of this coffee. Of course, not all coffees made this way are alike. One also talked about how the production has progressed to the point where civets are raised in captivity for this purpose. I will stick to regular coffee for now. I also read that someone has found a way to apply an artificial enzyme to get the same effect. Perhaps I will try that, if it is not too expensive.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

If I thought my palate was sophisticated enough to appreciate it, I would probably try some kopi luwak, but alas, it would be wasted on me.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #50

I told Ms G about KL coffee, she said she would stick with Seattle's Best. Sounds a lot like geese and foie gras, and torturing critters.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Surely, a braumeister's palate would be able to analyze the taste of this exotic coffee and to compare it to the garden variety fare.

Whenever I run across exotic food or drink, I ask myself these questions.

1) Is this something worthwhile for me to try?
2) Is it too expensive to try?
3) When I do try it, can I tell the difference with lesser stuff?
4) If I can tell the difference, is it in a good way? Sometimes I like cheap stuff better.
5) If I turn out to like it (it's real trouble now!), do I like it enough to consume it on a regular basis?

As I am frugal though I am somewhat curious and adventurous, most "stuff" fail at step 2). That's one of the reasons I can retire early.

As to the welfare of the civets, they do consume the coffee beans in natural settings. I do not know if you can force them to eat more in captivity.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here's a photo of what used to be my favorite coffee cup.

I don't know if the rest of the Navy or the other services had this model in their supply systems. And yes, the guys on Facebook's "Cold War Submarine Veterans" group are pretty excited to be able to buy them online!
These were universal G.I. coffee cups for decades and decades. Thanks for posting the pic. Sort of like seeing a picture of Gran'pappy's old German Lugar
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

For years, it has been civets that are used as coffee preprocessor. Now, it's elephants.

See this: Coffee from an elephant's gut fills a $50 cup.

$50/cup? I still cannot get over the fact that the coffee beans are predigested, let alone the price. And this reminded me that I still have a 1-lb bag of Kona coffee bought at Costco in the big island in the recent trip. I was given Kona coffee just before the trip, and did not think it was that memorable. However, the gifted coffee was preground and might be old, so this time I bought a bag of unground beans. Costco moves a lot of merchandise, and their coffee bags were fresh and still smelled really good (through the bag!). Will see if it makes a difference.

PS. Many Hawaiian sell Kona coffee as either 10% blend, or 100%. Of course I bought 100%, but still yet find out what's so special about it that a blend containing only 10% of it would make that much of a difference. FWIW, 100% Kona coffee goes for $20-$30 a pound in stores there. It's a lot more affordable for me to sample, compared to civet or elephant-preprocessed coffee.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #54
Administrator

NW-Bound, I grew up in Hawaii and I don't even like Kona coffee. I have never understood the hype surrounding it.

But then, I never had any that was freshly ground so maybe my dislike stems from ignorance. Hopefully you will like yours.

As for the elephant coffee, all I can say is EWWW.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
NW-Bound, I grew up in Hawaii and I don't even like Kona coffee. I have never understood the hype surrounding it.

But then, I never had any that was freshly ground so maybe my dislike stems from ignorance. Hopefully you will like yours.

As for the elephant coffee, all I can say is EWWW.
One time we visited a Kona coffee processing area. They had a nice display of how the coffee beans were delt with.

Left the keys in the car (the old days, no auto door openers) and the guys there helped us jimmy the door open. What a relief! Since then I've had good feelings about Kona coffee ... haven't had a cup of it in many many moons.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Left the keys in the car (the old days, no auto door openers) and the guys there helped us jimmy the door open. What a relief! Since then I've had good feelings about Kona coffee ....
I suspect your good feelings may have resulted not from the coffee, but from experiencing the "Aloha spirit", an attitude of friendliness and kindness that is part of the culture there.. And I have good feelings towards the Aloha spirit in Hawaii, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suspect your good feelings may have resulted not from the coffee, but from experiencing the "Aloha spirit", an attitude of friendliness and kindness that is part of the culture there.. And I have good feelings towards the Aloha spirit in Hawaii, too.
You are right, I'm sure it was the Aloha spirit. But I take after my old Corgi who associated certain things with what got him pleasure -- usually food in his case.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The "Aloha spirit"? Oddly, this picture Nords posted ages ago came to mind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunnies eatin greens.jpg (65.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For years, it has been civets that are used as coffee preprocessor. Now, it's elephants.
And this reminded me that I still have a 1-lb bag of Kona coffee bought at Costco in the big island in the recent trip. I was given Kona coffee just before the trip, and did not think it was that memorable. However, the gifted coffee was preground and might be old, so this time I bought a bag of unground beans. Costco moves a lot of merchandise, and their coffee bags were fresh and still smelled really good (through the bag!). Will see if it makes a difference.
PS. Many Hawaiian sell Kona coffee as either 10% blend, or 100%. Of course I bought 100%, but still yet find out what's so special about it that a blend containing only 10% of it would make that much of a difference. FWIW, 100% Kona coffee goes for $20-$30 a pound in stores there. It's a lot more affordable for me to sample, compared to civet or elephant-preprocessed coffee.
The only live elephants in Hawaii are in zoos, but I'm sure someone on a Kona coffee plantation is eyeing the mongoose and wondering what their "throughput" might be.

I've drunk too many brown liquids of dubious origin labeled "coffee" to have a discerning palate, but I've read that Kona is relatively mild & smooth compared to other beans.

The "10%" ratio is the minimum content to be legally sold as Kona, and it's supposed to be prominently labeled as "Kona blend". I don't think there's a taste difference between 10% and 100% Kona, unless the 100% stuff is milder. Presumably the other 90% is Taster's Choice or Hills Bros.

I like drinking Kona purely because I can. But I also like Costco's French roast, and I'm currently working on a bag of Kauai beans. (Kauai has several good coffee plantations, but they're known as "100% Hawaii" instead of "Kona".) I'm also looking forward to the first crop of the revived coffee plantations on north Oahu, but I'm not sure whether they'll be harvested in 2013 or '14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The "Aloha spirit"? Oddly, this picture Nords posted ages ago came to mind...
Duuuuuude. Nothing more destructive than bunnies with the munchies.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #60

I don't drink coffee - only water, diet soda, and beer.