Join Early Retirement Today

Post a Picture of your Favorite Coffee Cup
Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Post a Picture of your Favorite Coffee Cup

Yes, other beverages are allowed!

This is my favorite because of its design. I also like that it reminds me of the fact that I'm retired.

I collect mugs from companies that I like and do business with, souvenir cups from places we've been, and places that I've worked. Occasionally, I add one to the collection if I just like it a lot. We don't use the ones in the collection because the dishwasher seems to fade the art. We drink from crappy old cups that normal people would have thrown out by now.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VanguardCup.jpg (76.4 KB, 11 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Administrator

The only one I use. 20oz, insulated, one full serving every morning. A great way to start my day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coffee Mug.jpg (45.0 KB, 7 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

transferred from another thread...

My fave coffee cup has a simple flowing design, painted in earthy colors, perhaps even handmade, and is a cup of extra large capacity.

At least the color scheme is familiar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg favecoffeecup.jpg (118.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Bacon.jpg (14.0 KB, 337 views)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Several decades ago my (dear, departed) mother gave me two green mugs that were given to her, due to her support of University of Hawaii opera, I believe. She always preferred cup-and-saucer to mugs.

On this side, is a UH logo. On the other side it says University of Hawaii Foundation.

I like the mugs because they are exactly the right size and weight, and remind me of my mother. And, they were free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0107.jpg (15.0 KB, 337 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't drink coffee, but here is my everyday tea cup:

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My commute cup. If it has coffee in it, it's my favorite!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-257644278.jpg (443.6 KB, 7 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

HFWR, that cup is WILD!!! Latte, Tea, Java? I have never seen one like that.

Love the other cups, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I really don't have a favorite, but this is what we have most of, so it's what I use more often than not...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mug.jpg (11.6 KB, 329 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
HFWR, that cup is WILD!!! Latte, Tea, Java? I have never seen one like that.

Love the other cups, too.
At home I use fine, white china. I know it's china because it says so on the bottom...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1004.JPG (637.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Administrator

My afternoon coffee cup, already filled and waiting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Afternoon coffee.jpg (389.6 KB, 13 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Favorite cup? That implies you have more than one! Really, you need that many?

Just joking! I do have several cups. For many years, my favorite was one of a pair that my wife bought for us to commemorate an anniversary. We finally broke both of them.

We both have many mugs given as gifts from vendors to our megacorps. They have really no special value to us, and we just use one until we break it and switch to the next. As they have no special sentimental value, I will not post a photo.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

PS. I am actually not that utilitarian. I do have a set of chinaware to serve coffee properly when we need or want to.

You would not want to know how many dishes or glasses that we have (I would have to spend time to count). As we host big family parties, my wife wants us to have proper wine glasses and champagne flutes for 20+ people when we serve.

No fancy crystal, just glass ware, but my wife has hundreds of glasses and dishes and bowls and plates! I have to tell her to stop buying. They are not expensive, but there's no room for more. And X2 for two homes. Arghhh!!!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

DH and I got these years ago when we took the tour of the NASA facilities in Florida.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cups.JPG (423.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

coffe cup.jpg

Here is the coffee cup I have used since the 80’s. It has a history, because it was used by Oprah while she was a co-anchor in Baltimore. I was a volunteer for The Friends of The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. I was asked to assist Oprah during a fundraiser, so I was her go-for. I even found a little piece about the conductor Leon Fleisher and Oprah’s fundraising activity.

“Fleisher also helped put together fundraising telethons for the BSO aired by WJZ-TV (one of the station's staffers who participated was a young co-anchor named Oprah Winfrey).”

Fleisher celebrates 80 years of music - Baltimore Sun
Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

OK, I guess I need a photo to show you some of the glasses, mugs, and cups that my wife bought. Besides, the OP said all beverages were allowed.

What you see in these cabinets in my breakfast nook are about 1/4 1/3 of all the glasses that we have, and in just the main home. My wife has enough so that if all of our guests want a martini glass, none will be left out. Ditto for tall glasses, tumblers, wine (2 or 3 per guest), champagne, and even cognac snifters, etc...

The cognac snifters were a surprise to me, because I thought I only had about 6 in the dining room cabinet, but just discovered another Courvoisier set when I looked inside one of the above cabinets in the kitchen. Oh boy, glasses are cheap, but what does it cost to pour XO or even VSOP for so many glasses? No way! I would have to keep some cheaper brandy on hand, and hide my little precious bottle.

Some of those have never been used and most likely never will be, but my wife said one could never be sure and we must be prepared. Oh well, glassware is cheap and she does not spend money on clothes or jewelry, so I just kept my mouth shut.

PS. I take the blame for the shot glasses on the shelves surrounding the clock. They are two-layer deep, and were bought as souvenirs from major international and US cities that we visited. I often looked at them, and could even remember the circumstances when I bought them.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, I guess I need a photo to show you some of the glasses, mugs, and cups that my wife bought. Besides, the OP said all beverages were allowed.

What you see in these cabinets in my breakfast nook are about 1/4 1/3 of all the glasses that we have, and in just the main home. My wife has enough so that if all of our guests want a martini glass, none will be left out. Ditto for tall glasses, tumblers, wine (2 or 3 per guest), champagne, and even cognac snifters, etc...

The cognac snifters were a surprise to me, because I thought I only had about 6 in the dining room cabinet, but just discovered another Courvoisier set when I looked inside one of the above cabinets in the kitchen. Oh boy, glasses are cheap, but what does it cost to pour XO or even VSOP for so many glasses? No way! I would have to keep some cheaper brandy on hand, and hide my little precious bottle.

Some of those have never been used and most likely never will be, but my wife said one could never be sure and we must be prepared. Oh well, glassware is cheap and she does not spend money on clothes or jewelry, so I just kept my mouth shut.

PS. I take the blame for the shot glasses on the shelves surrounding the clock. They are two-layer deep, and were bought as souvenirs from major international and US cities that we visited. I often looked at them, and could even remember the circumstances when I bought them.

Wow. Beautiful! Can't share a similar pic of my kitchen since it's kinda messy right now. This looks like something from Paris, Rome or LA. My kitchen looks like something from the Waltons
Old 08-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

DW does the same. I built display cases for her 100+ shot glasses.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Wow. Beautiful! Can't share a similar pic of my kitchen since it's kinda messy right now. This looks like something from Paris, Rome or LA. My kitchen looks like something from the Waltons
Thank you! But I must tell the truth.

I installed these cabinets myself, and as these were in the kitchen, I did not want to spend too much. So, they were from Ikea.

And I think my wife chose the glassware for their colors, rather than whether we were really going to use them or not. But as they are inexpensive, we would not hesitate to use them if the occasion arises.

PS. FIREd, then you must show your cases.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

My old favorite coffee cup was made from a photo of our daughter getting a Kumon award. When my daughter and I got our taekwondo black belts, she posed us for this photo. Then she pointed out that my old coffee cup photo was from the previous millennium, so I made a new cup from the newer photo.

My next favorite coffee cup will probably show her pinning on her ensign bars. Or maybe her warfare pin. Or both.

Quote:
Oh well, glassware is cheap and she does not spend money on clothes or jewelry, so I just kept my mouth shut.
Our house is beginning to fill up with "memorabilia" like that, but I take consolation in knowing that I'm probably going to die first and escape the inevitable downsizing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kumon trophy.jpg (97.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Black belt family portrait March 2009.jpg (450.4 KB, 19 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote