Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
wouldn't want anyone hoaring Forever stamps.......
hoaring... in a government program?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wouldn't miss Saturday mail delivery so they can just go ahead and do it as they try to balance their budget.

The forever stamp was a good deal for those who stocked up before a rate increase. It does seem a little bit like a gift card though as long as USPS doesn't change the rules.

Loving my supply of Forever stamps here!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have no problem with the USPS ending Saturday residential delivery. In fact, I think that they would do well to reduce home delivery to 2-3 times per week as an expense reduction tactic. There is nothing that I receive in the mail that can not be delayed a few days, or even a week, as far as I am concerned.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I have no problem with the USPS ending Saturday residential delivery. In fact, I think that they would do well to reduce home delivery to 2-3 times per week as an expense reduction tactic. There is nothing that I receive in the mail that can not be delayed a few days, or even a week, as far as I am concerned.
Great idea- they could cut their staff in half- sort one day, deliver the next...unfortunately, it would also put 300,000 pissed-off postal employees on the street- but maybe we could get them to guard the border...?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Ok, here is a loaded question...
If the Post Office doesn't get any taxpayer funding, what happens when it loses money? Retained earnings only go so far; when they are operating in the red year after year, what keeps them afloat? Issuing more Forever stamps?
This article answers your questions I think. If it is not able to make changes then it may need a taxpayer bailout. For me, I don't have a problem with no Saturday deliveries or closing many post offices. Even the Thatcher government in the UK which privatized many government programs stopped short at the Post Office, but did allow to cut deliveries and post offices etc.

Postal chief says post office running out of money

Quote:
Even if the agency succeeds in reaching its planned cost cuts of $5.9 billion, there could still be a $6 billion deficit in 2010, Potter said.

"Without a change we will exhaust our cash resources," he said. "We can no longer afford business as usual."
Blair also noted that Congress could consider appropriating money to help the post office. The agency does not receive a taxpayer subsidy for its operations, although Congress does subsidize overseas voting and free mail for the blind.

William Young, president of the National Association of Letter Carriers, stressed in his testimony that the agency is not seeking a taxpayer bailout, "but we are here to ask the Congress for help."
Old 03-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #26

Not only our wages too high, but retirement benefits are as well. I wonder how many billions they need to cover future pension costs. My pet peeve is the number of post offices, not necessarily in rural areas but in suburbs as well. In Atlanta, we live within three miles of three different post offices. They are trying with the self service machines etc... but they really have to do away with longevity based raises and tie raises to productivity and contribution to the bottom line.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #27

I'm pretty amazed with the USPS. For 47 cents they'll pick up a piece of mail at my house in Colorado and deliver it to my brother's house in New York. In a few days. I have a Post Office a few blocks away and since I'm an early riser and can get there early I can usually get whatever taken care of without waiting at all. My carrier gives me a wave every time I see him, and I've never tipped him. They seem to be doing a little better at competing in package delivery, just based on how my mail order stuff is being shipped lately.

They do have problems and I expect the letter delivery business to wane -- like a lot of people I'm signing up for paperless statements right and left. I'd be perfectly happy with every-other-day letter delivery, but I suspect package delivery would have to stay at daily to compete.

It was 60 years ago that the post office quit twice daily delivery.

Coach
Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Not only our wages too high, but retirement benefits are as well. I wonder how many billions they need to cover future pension costs. My pet peeve is the number of post offices, not necessarily in rural areas but in suburbs as well. In Atlanta, we live within three miles of three different post offices. They are trying with the self service machines etc... but they really have to do away with longevity based raises and tie raises to productivity and contribution to the bottom line.

Heresy! This is the federal government we are dealing with- an established bastion of bureaucracy, cronyism, entitlement programs, and bloated budgets. Nope, the Post Office will soon be on the dole like the rest of the Feds...
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #29

I can't think of any reason why I or most other people would need mail delivery 6 days a week. I get so little real mail these days that it wouldn't cause any drama in my life if suddenly nothing came on a Saturday.

USPS is not one of those organisations I have much faith in. Whenever I post a document which I want to be sure will arrive at the other end in a timely fashion I always go to the Post Office and use Priority Express.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I've said for years that 3 days a week for mail delivery is plenty. Our local PO closed and we have to drive to the next town to use the PO. Lots of small-town POs have closed here in Ohio.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting that you often hear that reason the government can't cut XYZ is the public will scream. Yet on this thread not only didn't anyone scream about losing Saturday, lots of people suggested slashing the service levels in 1/2.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I vote for mail delivery once a week. There is nothing in the mail so important that it can't wait a few days.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #33

Every other day for mail delivery would be fine with me. Our postage rates are a bargain as I understand it compared to many European countries. I have a whole bunch of forever stamps. I don't know why one would buy any other kind.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Maybe not, but they are basically a quasi govt organization that enjoys a monopoly...
Well, not exactly a monopoly. Just a few days ago UPS delivered an envelope from Citibank inviting us to take out a six-figure loan on our house ("No, thanks.") so there are alternatives. The UPS driver even rang the doorbell and left the envelop on the front porch. For US mail we have to walk all the way out to the mailbox at the end of the driveway.

As another pointed out, I think first-class postage is a good deal. For 47 cents I can mail a letter to my niece across the country and it'll be hand-delivered there in a few days. Although we use E-mail a lot there is something to be said for a hard-copy letter and we still write them.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This is one of those "doomed to failure" experiments -- "downsizing" to success rarely succeeds.

What the USPS needs is change. For the past five to ten years, I have used the USPS less often than in the past. In fact, I go through the mental exercise of considering all other options before selecting them. (I even select a much less desirable option if visiting an USPS station is called for.)

There, of course, are some things that the USPS does better than UPS or Fed Ex and that is what they should concentrate on. For instance, the ability to print shipping labels on Priority mail and have them pick up the package is one thing on the plus side. (This is also true with other postage-paid mailings that can be place in your mailbox.)

Of course, by the time those Weasels on Capital Hill finish the job of running interference, most people, like myself, will have completely given up.

(I should add that I ship/mail enough that I have an account with both UPS and Fed Ex.))
Well said. I agree with everything except the part about weasels on capital hill. They're not weasels -- they're blood sucking parasites.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Yet on this thread not only didn't anyone scream about losing Saturday, lots of people suggested slashing the service levels in 1/2.
The characters in Rex Stout's old Nero Wolfe novels spent a lot of time dashing around to make the morning & afternoon mail pickup/deliveries. I wonder how people of that era handled the transition to just once a day.

Now it's like firing the town criers or the lamplighters... or disconnecting the land line telephone service. If I was selling hardware for broadcast TV systems I'd be buffing up my résumé too.

It's been interesting watching our kid learn about colleges over the last three years. She did 90% of it online, and probably only grudgingly put up with our entreaties for the 10% that happened in hardcopy. She signed up for college mailing lists like all the other kids at school, yet about 99.9% of that mail went straight to the trash. It was only parental eye candy and a colossal waste of bulk-mailing budgets. The few pieces of actual paper required by Rice could have been reduced to e-mails and a few scanned PDFs.

The USPS may be a victim of its own efficiency. The things I used to "need" from the post office can almost all be done online now. Even if I could save a couple bucks by driving to the post office, it's usually not worth the hassle of hauling my butt out of the computer chair when I can do priority mail right from the printer. Remember when post offices used to have huge lines out the door of people hauling eBay packages on hand dollies? Now it's all done on the website and pickup is scheduled online.

Some days I wonder why I have a mailbox. It's a troubling source of identity theft and one more thing around the house that needs cleaning/maintenance. Almost everyone I care to hear from contacts me online or by voicemail. I get a handful of personal letters each year, and I'd even prefer to do holiday family letters online. All my bills are received online, and most of them are on autopay. Once or twice a year I mail a package (usually a gift) that doesn't quite fit in our mailbox or the USPS mailbox slot-- and I actually have to go inside the post office to drop it at the bucket by the automated kiosk.

I'm going to have to monitor what incoming mail that I actually care about. (It's not Midweek!) I bet it's only monthly magazines. I could probably have the post office hold my mail for monthly delivery and I still wouldn't miss anything.

I'll have to ask the carrier if they'd still do pickup for people who have their mail held...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I'm pretty amazed with the USPS. For 47 cents they'll pick up a piece of mail at my house in Colorado and deliver it to my brother's house in New York. In a few days. I have a Post Office a few blocks away and since I'm an early riser and can get there early I can usually get whatever taken care of without waiting at all. My carrier gives me a wave every time I see him, and I've never tipped him.
I know. We'll let them run healthcare!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Haven't done a deep analysis of this, but is there anything I really need the post office for? I can't think of anything at the moment.

In 1960 we had a bread man, milk man, and postman.

USPS - Postal Facts
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Haven't done a deep analysis of this, but is there anything I really need the post office for? I can't think of anything at the moment.

In 1960 we had a bread man, milk man, and postman.

USPS - Postal Facts
And Fuller Brush man and family doctor who made house calls, and department stores that delivered purchases the next day or so(free), etc. Yes, nothing stays the same. We pay more money for things but personal service has gone the way of the Dodo.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
And Fuller Brush man and family doctor who made house calls, and department stores that delivered purchases the next day or so(free), etc. Yes, nothing stays the same. We pay more money for things but personal service has gone the way of the Dodo.
And because of "substitution," less service for the same price doesn't show up as inflation on the CPI even though it is less bang for the buck...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote