Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

From the other thread, my setup after designing (not making) the table and floating shelves.

Copy of 70 TV.jpg
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post

From the other thread, my setup after designing (not making) the table and floating shelves.

[/ATTACH]
Very nice! In my home, the floating shelves would have to be empty. They are purr-fect cat perches
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Here's mine
Nice. What speakers do you have?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Nice. What speakers do you have?
They're McIntosh ML-1Cs. I bought the speakers and the MC 2100 amp back in 1971. The amp was refurbished by the factory a couple of months ago and I replaced the woofer surrounds about 3 months ago. They still sound as good as new. I saved for a long time to afford that equipment and caught a lot of flack for spending $1200 on it but, it was well worth it as far as I'm concerned; they've served me well for 40 years.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Regarding speakers, when Dgf (had 2 wives - shut off) and I set up the TV, we liked the sound that came with it so we were hesitant to open the Bose box for a few days. When we did - well .... we didn't know what we were missing. <--- Now loving those Bose speakers !
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Many audiophiles seem to look down on Bose for some reason but my dad has a Bose set up and to me they sound INCREDIBLE!

I plan on getting an inexpensive 5.1 system with my new tv but after listening to the Bose I may have to upgrade.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
They're McIntosh ML-1Cs. I bought the speakers and the MC 2100 amp back in 1971. The amp was refurbished by the factory a couple of months ago and I replaced the woofer surrounds about 3 months ago. They still sound as good as new. I saved for a long time to afford that equipment and caught a lot of flack for spending $1200 on it but, it was well worth it as far as I'm concerned; they've served me well for 40 years.
Cool. That's the good thing about speakers. No worry about obsolescence, if you take care of them they'll last a lifetime. $1.2k was quite a bit back then, but you definitely got your money's worth.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Those tall speakers you see in my photo above are Sony's from Amazon for $100. Probably not the greatest but they sound good enough for us. I've had two speaker sets with disintegrating foam around the speakers after maybe 15 years (each pair). I also have some cheap speakers in the rear for surround sound and got a $120 Sony subwoofer.

I'm not an audiophile but respect those who want the best .
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, I feel out of date looking at these. Still using the same 56" Panasonic projection HDTV I bought back in 1999. It was one of the first HDTVs ever made and cost several times as much as comparable TVs today. Last weekend I bought my first flat-screen - a 42" Vizio LCD that will be used in our exercise room. Not a fancy model but it doesn't need to be for workout DVD's and AVI files.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Sharp Aquos HDTV with 32" diagonal screen, vintage 2006.
Audio components of various ages (home theatre, DVD/VHS combo, 5 CD player with shuffle) and digital cable/DVR box on left, Playstation 3 below TV.
Sound: 2 JVC SX-F7TH narrow tower speakers. 1 medium size speaker sits atop the unit (behind the mermaid), with 2 smaller speakers located elsewhere in the room.
I had to remove the slide mounted doors on the oak entertainment center to fit the TV. I open the glass front side door for adequate ventilation when I am running the home theater system. I have an add-on fan accessory for the PS3 to keep it cooled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SharpAquos32inchdiag.jpg (265.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unlike those thin, flimsy flat screens, my set has REAL 3D built right into it, and comes with its own sturdy stand. http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/1...ont+open+2.jpg
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH has been lusting over flat screen tvs lately. The tv we have now is 57".

I think a flat screen would look nicer than the 'boat' we have now; except I know we'll keep the speakers. We have six of them...DH says they're needed for his 'blow stuff up' movies.
The day we hauled the big tube style tv to the dump was a happy one. The flat screen takes up much less space.

This one is 46 inches and plenty big for our purposes. We added some speakers in the ceiling although didn't feel they were really needed for the TV.... still it was a good excuse and now have those speakers in several rooms. We run the stereo through them and can switch off various rooms - very handy. I think our speakers are JBLs but many folks make them.

We made the TV "stand" and the top overhangs the bottom by a couple of inches to help hide the electronic rats nest. It's plywood and teak.

The electronic stuff under there is a roku, the cable box, a dvd player and and old vcr (which we are currently blowing taps for).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv.jpg (116.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg tv 2.jpg (44.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH has been lusting over flat screen tvs lately. The tv we have now is 57".
The technical term for that is "PlasmaLust" There's only one treatment, and it only works until larger screens are on sale - then it recurs...
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I like Janet H's "stand". In the house we sold in 2011 we had our LCD projections TV in a corner on a built-in shelf that was attached to each wall with brackets and the components on shelves underneath. I actually like the look of that set up.

Will post mine once I can find the cord to connect the camera to the laptop.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dinky 47" on the mantle - no stand, no wall mount, no problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (575.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is that a ship's clock?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is that a ship's clock?
No, it's mine.

It was a "Congratulations for lasting 25 years at Megacorp" consolation prize gift.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #38

Is it bad that I am scanning all these pictures to see if there are any products I worked on.

(I have more than a decade in the settop business. And yeah - some of you have settops I've worked on. But any bugs/glitches are strictly the other guys code, not mine. Except when it's my code. Darn that admit-you're-wrong poll.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Big fireplace to make a 47" look small
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
Administrator

We have two. A 42" plasma we bought in '03 and a 32" LCD I inherited and set up in the basement for a future home theater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upstairs.jpg (40.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg downstairs.jpg (35.3 KB, 6 views)