Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Rant alert: We have 1 TV and even that I find a distraction; the moth and the flame effect is common. Having the TV on ends conversations, changes social interactions and is generally a distraction. Since our TV is in a corner, I can slide a rocking chair in front of it, reducing the temptation of flipping on the electronic 'company" and that's a good help. More than once I've lobbied to get rid of it entirely. Here's an interesting blog post about good reasons to ditch the tube
Heretic! You can't get behind on who has been elimitanted on Dancing With The Stars or American Idol! Get real...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Heretic! You can't get behind on who has been elimitante on Dancing With The Stars or American Idol! Get real...
There just aren't enough hours in the day for all the fine programming out there to choose from.. even now I have to do a picture in picture thing to keep current on Louisiana Gator Men, Swamp Logger Rodeo Daze, Biker Babes of CA, Pawn Star Plastic Surgery In Session and Honey BooBoo's New Jersey Fashion Extravaganza

Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There just aren't enough hours in the day for all the fine programming out there to choose from.. even now I have to do a picture in picture thing to keep current on Louisiana Gator Men, Swamp Logger Rodeo Daze, Biker Babes of CA, Pawn Star Plastic Surgery In Session and Honey BooBoo's New Jersey Fashion Extravaganza

Exactly the reason why I cannot justify a TV service subscription. Free OTA and internet streaming work best for me and my wallet.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's my main viewing room. 100" 1080p projector. Seats are mounted on "Butt kickers", it adds realism without loudness to the experience.
Expendables 2 is tonight's movie.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another projector person here. We have about 9' wide, with ceiling-mounted, 1080 LCD projector in the basement:

screen.jpg

(Apologies--it is rather "lived in" at the time of that pic.)

All DIY and on the cheap, from the walls to system assembly (and the painted screen). No vibrating chairs or TV feed, but staged seating with old couches, blu Ray, and internet feed.

The sound system and the wine cellar on the left side of the picture are what make it go.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
Here's my main viewing room. 100" 1080p projector. Seats are mounted on "Butt kickers", it adds realism without loudness to the experience.
Expendables 2 is tonight's movie.

Looks like a serious setup. What type of shows does the cat like? And do you employ ushers or perhaps the cat does that?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You forgot to mention this gem...Pitbulls & Parolees on Animal Planet.

I am normally a casual TV watcher, preferring the digtial cable music channels to the rest. I have been ill for the past week, so I have been indoors a lot. I have used the Guide feature to look at current programming and am astounded at the garbage being broadcast.
TG for the classic movie stations.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Looks like a serious setup. What type of shows does the cat like? And do you employ ushers or perhaps the cat does that?
Sadly the cat had to be put to sleep two years ago due to fatty liver disease.

It's a nice setup that took years to get to. The main speakers are from 1991, center and rears from 1998. The room was destroyed when we bought the house. I patched numerous holes, replaced doors, redid the ceiling and built the riser. All done inexpensively but nice.

The rooms seats 4 with recliners, we've had to up to 12 sitting on the floor and various chairs. I've helped 3 friends do the same thing to their house. Now they don't come over any more.