Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

Roach killers, albeit expensive ones...

Digression: on a hike with the Scouts, one of the volunteer adults tried hiking 26 miles and change in "western boots". I believe he hiked the last several miles in his socks...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by COHgirl View Post
I started wearing Dansko clogs 1 1/2 years ago. They look sorta dorky but my feet appreciate them.

I walked the hard floors of a grocery store daily in my former life. I tried these one day and then threw out all my other shoes. I found them to be nice and roomy in the toe box.

I still wear them all the time. I even wore them for a day at Silver Dollar City (lots of hills!) and I wear them hiking.

You have to learn to walk in them. The hard flat sole can hit uneven ground and cause you to twist your ankle. Some people have a problem with that.

Sanita is supposed to be the same but I don't find them as comfortable.
I have been living in Danskos for 16 years. Some of the different soles (higher heel) have not been as comfortable as the ones in the professional line, so I stick with them. I have tried Sanitas as well and do not find them as comfortable. I have high arches and my feet get really tired without good arch support.

Another line I like are Troentorp swedish clogs that have a wooden footbed so even more arch support.

I may also revisit Birkenstocks which I lived in when I was in college.

Retired in 2014 at 45.
pullmyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Discovered Asics wide 4E for hiking and all around use. It's more comfortable and durable than Nike's wide running shoes. Of course, flip flops...
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
Speaking of flip flops - I found Telic (used to be called Terox) flip flops that are very cushiony and they have arch support. They are one of the few things I can wear with the heel spurs / plantar fasciitis. Also got a pair for DH.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
Currently testing this style of Hoka around the house:

Hoka One One Valor LTR Black - Free Shipping BOTH Ways
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boots: I have a pair of Lucchese ostrich and a pair of Justin boots. Both wonderful once broken in; I've walked all day in the Justin's (but not 26 miles!).

Sandals: Birkenstock all the way.

Dressy: Thierry Rabotin, from the selections on sale (note sale items not returnable, and they are pricey even on sale). Some of their designs are getting garish but I have some good classic ones.

athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote