Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Potential NFL Hall-of-Famers
Old 11-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,851
Potential NFL Hall-of-Famers

There seems to be many current or recently retired great NFL players (and coaches) who will be/should be/or will have at least a reasonable chance to make it into the NFL Hall of Fame. Others, if they can continue to play at or near their current level have a shot of getting in. Names? I'll start.

Drew Brees gets in the moment he's eligible.

Gronk may have a shot, probably a very good shot, especially if he can put together what would be considered 2-3 typically good years for him. When healthy, dominant at his position.

Eli Manning? Not sure.
__________________

__________________
When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich--philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 4,162
How about the potentially best QB of all time - Tom Brady.
__________________

__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 171
...you never know for sure:

older player that had all the stats/Pro Bowls ( 7 in ten years of play!) but isn’t in: Randy Gradishar

http://americanfootballdatabase.wiki...andy_Gradishar
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
...you never know for sure:

older player that had all the stats/Pro Bowls ( 7 in ten years of play!) but isn’t in: Randy Gradishar

Randy Gradishar | American Football Database | FANDOM powered by Wikia
I recalled the name and looked him up: quite the career: 5 straight years as an All-Pro selection and winning Defensive Player of the Year once. Maybe this photo kept the HOF voters from taking him seriously.

__________________
When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich--philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 22,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
....Eli Manning? Not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
How about the potentially best QB of all time - Tom Brady.
Since you mentioned those two, here's my idea for a PPV event a la The Match: Tiger vs Phil..... Manning and Brady in a 40 yard dash ... I'm guessing that loads of people would be willing to ante up $20 20 cents to watch it.

Seriously though, I can't imagine what Brady's kids were thinking a couple weeks ago when he actually caught the pass but then tripped over his on two feet a couple yards shy of the first down... I'm guessing that they buried their faces in their hands and said to themselves... "Oh, Dad... that is so embarassing!"
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Since you mentioned those two, here's my idea for a PPV event a la The Match: Tiger vs Phil..... Manning and Brady in a 40 yard dash ... I'm guessing that loads of people would be willing to ante up $20 20 cents to watch it.
Wow, you've got a promoter's instinct. Do people constantly confuse you with being Don King? Anyhow, for sure I'd kick in 20 cents to watch it. A forty yard dash(?) should take at least a minute (or two). Good value for the money.

You're a Patriot fan: Does Gronk have a good shot at making the HOF?
__________________
When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich--philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
You're a Patriot fan: Does Gronk have a good shot at making the HOF?
If he retires at the end of next season when his contract ends then he would be very borderline. He has had a lot of injuries and not a lot of games for someone to make the HOF. He's a really good TE but I think he needs a couple more seasons after this contract to solidify his HOF induction.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,851
re: Gronk
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
He's a really good TE but I think he needs a couple more seasons after this contract to solidify his HOF induction.
I pretty much agree about his needing a few more season.

How about Jason Whitten? He played for 15 years. Eleven of Pro Bowls. Two first team All-Pro; two second team All-Pro.
__________________
When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich--philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
re: Gronk


I pretty much agree about his needing a few more season.

How about Jason Whitten? He played for 15 years. Eleven of Pro Bowls. Two first team All-Pro; two second team All-Pro.
He may not be first ballot but he should get there.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,674
Eli Manning is a perfect example of SB rings vs personal stats. Which is more hall of fame worthy?
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Eli Manning is a perfect example of SB rings vs personal stats. Which is more hall of fame worthy?
I would be fine with Eli getting the nod. Sure he has a lot of interceptions and his completion % is not very good but he is 6th all time in yards, has two SB rings, and started the second most consecutive games in league history. He was a leader and took the team to multiple SBs with minimal help.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,407
What about Ben Roethlisberger?
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,407
Frank Gore and Adrian Petersen should both make it in when they decide to retire.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 22,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If he retires at the end of next season when his contract ends then he would be very borderline. He has had a lot of injuries and not a lot of games for someone to make the HOF. He's a really good TE but I think he needs a couple more seasons after this contract to solidify his HOF induction.
+1 I would need to see his stats vs other HOF tight ends but I'm skeptical that Gronk's career to date rises to HOF level.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
What about Ben Roethlisberger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Frank Gore and Adrian Petersen should both make it in when they decide to retire.
I would think that all three definitely get in. Running backs aren't supposed to play for nearly as long and as well as Gore and Peterson have. And, regarding Ben: I'm sure he is the all-time NFL leader in concussions, receiving most of his concussions before the league officially started counting them.

Philip Rivers? No Super Bowl Rings but longevity and 6th on the touchdown passing list. Also has eight children with the same wife.

How about Andy Reid? Very high up on the "win" list.
__________________
When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich--philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I would need to see his stats vs other HOF tight ends but I'm skeptical that Gronk's career to date rises to HOF level.
To date, Gronk is not HOF IMO. He needs to cross over 10,000 yards to be in contention. He's not even at 8,000 yet.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I would think that all three definitely get in. Running backs aren't supposed to play for nearly as long and as well as Gore and Peterson have. And, regarding Ben: I'm sure he is the all-time NFL leader in concussions, receiving most of his concussions before the league officially started counting them.

Philip Rivers? No Super Bowl Rings but longevity and 6th on the touchdown passing list. Also has eight children with the same wife.

How about Andy Reid? Very high up on the "win" list.
Rivers is likely. Coaches are harder to grade.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,851
OK, got to watch a movie with the duchess of redduck. But, I much rather be doing this.
__________________
When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich--philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 10,264
So when are the teams' cheerleaders going to get a shot at the HOF? I mean...come on.....it's got to be in someone's thinking!

(Ever see the Dallas Cheerleaders?) ...Wow!
__________________
Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
MuirWannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
So when are the teams' cheerleaders going to get a shot at the HOF? I mean...come on.....it's got to be in someone's thinking!



(Ever see the Dallas Cheerleaders?) ...Wow!

By the time they’re eligible (mandatory waiting period after final year) it just wouldn’t be the same. Although it gives a whole new meaning to getting a bust in Canton
__________________

__________________
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir
MuirWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craig Named to Idaho Hall of Fame Wags Other topics 13 01-08-2008 05:03 PM
Frugality Hall Of Fame David1961 FIRE and Money 124 11-14-2007 05:20 PM
Craig Elected To Idaho Hall of Fame Danny Other topics 0 10-15-2007 12:12 AM
My NFL quarterback can whup your NFL quarterback... saluki9 Other topics 11 10-10-2007 07:14 AM
Don't think this will make the headline writer's Hall of Fame gindie Other topics 0 03-04-2007 10:23 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.