Prayers for the residents of Hawaii

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
At the time of this writing, a lot of uncertainty still exists about the actual track of Hurricane Lane. Regardless, it looks like there will be much rain and wind throughout the islands.

I read where there has never been a hurricane track to within 65 miles of Honolulu or Maui since Hawaii statehood. Iniki in 1992 (and 2 earlier ones) directly hit Kauai.

Prayers for the residents of Hawaii, which includes several members of this forum.

At the time of this writing, a lot of uncertainty still exists about the actual track of Hurricane Lane. Regardless, it looks like there will be much rain and wind throughout the islands.

I read where there has never been a hurricane track to within 65 miles of Honolulu or Maui since Hawaii statehood. Iniki in 1992 (and 2 earlier ones) directly hit Kauai.

Prayers for the residents of Hawaii, which includes several members of this forum.

Thanks for the prayers. Actually, we are on the mainland and watching the Weather Channel with some trepidation. Our condo unit probably isn't vulnerable to structural damage, but I'm a bit concerned about the windows (and, therefore, water damage.) We have friends staying in the condo while we are gone and have instructed them about how to deal with rain and (to the extent we have experience) the wind.

Currently, the forecast is calling for a near miss, but the rain will be quite a problem no matter what. We were on the Island back in the late 80's when a big storm (not hurricane) blew through. There was about 30 inches of rain in the area we live in now. Cars floated down some of the streets and mud covered the main coast road requiring 3 days to clear it.

The Island WILL lose power. There WILL be local flooding with loss of housing. There WILL be trees down across roads. There WILL be localized damage to structures. Whether this will all be a significant inconvenience or a major disaster is up to the One answering our prayers. YMMV

Please stay safe.

Thanks for prayers.

Waiting it out Upcountry, Maui.

Airlines had no charge to change return flight from scheduled Friday night arrival to yesterday, Wednesday, morning.

Schools closed across island Wednesday, I guess to prepare. Wife and daughter took me to Costco after pickup at 1:30. Amazingly, no lines/crowds. Was told gas line on Tuesday was huge.

This morning, Thursday, hardly anyone on roads. Only a handful of cars at Costco gas (for our other car). So far just light rain. Hopefully, will be able to update later.

(Think I'll get that PV system with the battery for future outages. Lol.)

I was supposed to leave for Kauai yesterday...my parents were supposed to leave today. WE had to cancel our trip earlier this year due to my mom being ill. Luckily she's doing fine...but we dodged a bullet it seems.

Was supposed to be a week on kauai, another week on the big island, then a few days on oahu. We probably wouldnt have been able to get in the water most of the time due to the surf.

My daughter just transferred from California to University of Hawaii - Manoa and is living in the dorms. My wife and I dropped her off last weekend and we flew off the Island on Tuesday. School started Monday but by Weds afternoon they closed the campus. Although she won’t be in class she will definitely be getting some real world experience with disaster prep, emergency management, disaster relief etc.....although I am worried about her part of me is glad she gets to go through this experience. Her biggest concern is making sure her new moped doesn’t get flooded. Her dorm is on the upper campus and she is on the 3rd floor so flooding shouldn’t be a major issue for her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom