Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
it was part of the deal we labored under for 40 years.
Or longer, for some of us.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't think we will see many new oldster entertainers (Susan Boyle is a joke)....
Susan will be 50 in 2011, not exactly an oldie, yet; from my viewpoint. Why, if she RE today, there would be no argument that it is still early.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would certainly enjoy seeing older folks finding stardom as I can relate being, ummmm....more mature.

However watching some of the old bands going on tour depresses me a bit. A lot of them still sound great, but some...they just ought not do that anymore.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
However watching some of the old bands going on tour depresses me a bit. A lot of them still sound great, but some...they just ought not do that anymore.
Rockers with walkers?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - I thought George Burns and Walter Brennan were born old.

At least that's what I thought as a kid.

heh heh heh - I hated the days when Mom took out the Swanson TV dinners from the regular oven and we all sat in front of the black and white watching the Welk bubble machine.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I would certainly enjoy seeing older folks finding stardom as I can relate being, ummmm....more mature.

Yeah, it was a little rough hearing Mick Jagger "try" to sing Gimme Shelter the other night.

I'm already tired of the "geezer rockers".

Audrey
Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

At least that's what I thought as a kid.

heh heh heh - I hated the days when Mom took out the Swanson TV dinners from the regular oven and we all sat in front of the black and white watching the Welk bubble machine.
Hey unclemick-

Here is one hot out of the oven for you!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I still do the Swanson - Hungry Man series in the oven instead of nuking in the microwave. Old habits die hard.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think we will see many new oldster entertainers (Susan Boyle is a joke). But I disagree that oldsters are discounted - at least with respect to voting here in America. All politicians realize that old folks vote out of proportion to the rest of the population. That is why I keep telling boomers to stop worrying about SS. We will grandfather ourselves in - and rightly so, it was part of the deal we labored under for 40 years.
Voting is always different than entertainment... and the ad dollars that flow...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Some posts seem to hope that we will get a lot of new 'older' entertainers...

But as someone else pointed out... Mick has been around for a LONG time.. how many 60s 70s and 80s bands are still around... how many younger bands are (what is the right word) 'mirror bands' (nope, but can not think of it)... they act like the original band since there already is an audience...

MAN... I had the place in my head... forgot it... OPPS... now remember it again... Branson.... that is a testiment that older folks will flock to a place to watch other older folks past their prime perform... and yes, it was 'us' who changed how bands 'go on the road'... they don't... we do... BTW, I have never been there.... just have seen it on TV and heard about it from a few people... mostly my older sisters....

But still am on the side that there will not be a big number of NEW OLDER entertainers coming to us...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Dollywood!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

PBS - every time I turn it on - Doo Wop to 60's/70's music redo programs.

heh heh heh - complete with older musians.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I just seen Richard Simmons on the Ellen show. I said, how old is he anyway? He's been around as long as I can remember and still looks the same -- old.

DW looked it up. He was born in 1948... he's five years younger than me. Grrrrrr.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know about Mick Jagger, but Steven Tyler still sounds really really good.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #35

Why is Susan Boyle a joke? She looks like h*ll and acts like a fool, but she does have a voice I'd give anything to have. She also has the #1 selling album in America now. I'd like that kind of joke pointed at me, frankly. She's rolling in cash right now, lucky girl, and traveling all over the world. Susan is laughing all the way to the bank now.

Did nobody watch America's Got Talent and see how people seemed to lap up Grandma Lee? Her age seemed to play positively for her I thought.

And entertainers--particularly women--of a certain age (aka old broads) don't have to have knock-out bodies. Are you kidding? They won't be looking for vamp roles or ones as strippers I'm sure.

Roles for older women are going to start opening up--ok, maybe just on made for tv movies--but they will have to as the public is getting older. People will want actors/actresses who they can relate to, and, with an older population coming up, there will be a demand for it is all I'm saying. There is a significant percentage of the population watching tv in the near future, and they're going to be some of us geezers.

Interesting the comments about old women's bodies, so let me give you my best argument for gals I try to get into going to the pool for exercise that feel badly about their bodies (the "I'm not perfect, so I can't go" syndrome). I tell them: "Well, they don't look so hot either." I think that goes both ways, eh?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Tell it like it is OF!

Sounds like you may be speaking of 'new older' talent. Shoot, I might start taking a few acting lessons myself... Watch out world....here comes bbbamI!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #37

I was talking about "new" older talent coming into the fore. About time, too.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Interesting the comments about old women's bodies, so let me give you my best argument for gals I try to get into going to the pool for exercise that feel badly about their bodies (the "I'm not perfect, so I can't go" syndrome). I tell them: "Well, they don't look so hot either." I think that goes both ways, eh?
Hey, we know we ain't cute either. We don't really care, though better looking is always a plus for anyone. And I didn't know that were talking dates; we choose dates for many reasons other than looks. Likely for most of us looks are way down on the list.

Your OP suggested that we will soon be seeing a lot of older actors/actresses. You may be right, I don't know. But I think it is not true that an older person can only relate to older actors. After all, we have all been young, been in love, had painful events in our lives. I really don't need a movie about Alzheimers to bring me down to earth. Life has already played kick the can with my a$$.

Ha
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #39

Who was mentioning dates, ha? Huh
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who was mentioning dates, ha? Huh
Quote:
I tell them: "Well, they don't look so hot either." I think that goes both ways, eh?
If you weren't talking about face to face encounters, I don't know what is the relevance of your statement above. If I am siting in a dark theater watching a movie, who cares what I look like other than a date?

Of course I may have misunderstood what you were getting at.

Ha