Prediction re. older folks and entertainment

I would certainly enjoy seeing older folks finding stardom as I can relate being, ummmm....more mature. :angel:

However watching some of the old bands going on tour depresses me a bit. A lot of them still sound great, but some...they just ought not do that anymore. :p
Yeah, it was a little rough hearing Mick Jagger "try" to sing Gimme Shelter the other night.

I'm already tired of the "geezer rockers".

Audrey

Hmmm - I thought George Burns and Walter Brennan were born old.

At least that's what I thought as a kid.

heh heh heh - :cool: I hated the days when Mom took out the Swanson TV dinners from the regular oven and we all sat in front of the black and white watching the Welk bubble machine.

Hey unclemick-

Here is one hot out of the oven for you!

I still do the Swanson - Hungry Man series in the oven instead of nuking in the microwave. Old habits die hard.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

heh heh heh - :cool:

I don't think we will see many new oldster entertainers (Susan Boyle is a joke). But I disagree that oldsters are discounted - at least with respect to voting here in America. All politicians realize that old folks vote out of proportion to the rest of the population. That is why I keep telling boomers to stop worrying about SS. We will grandfather ourselves in - and rightly so, it was part of the deal we labored under for 40 years.

Voting is always different than entertainment... and the ad dollars that flow...

Some posts seem to hope that we will get a lot of new 'older' entertainers...

But as someone else pointed out... Mick has been around for a LONG time.. how many 60s 70s and 80s bands are still around... how many younger bands are (what is the right word:confused:) 'mirror bands' (nope, but can not think of it)... they act like the original band since there already is an audience...

MAN... I had the place in my head... forgot it... OPPS... now remember it again... Branson.... that is a testiment that older folks will flock to a place to watch other older folks past their prime perform... and yes, it was 'us' who changed how bands 'go on the road'... they don't... we do... BTW, I have never been there.... just have seen it on TV and heard about it from a few people... mostly my older sisters....

But still am on the side that there will not be a big number of NEW OLDER entertainers coming to us...

PBS - every time I turn it on - Doo Wop to 60's/70's music redo programs.

heh heh heh - complete with older musians. :flowers:

Hmmm - I thought George Burns and Walter Brennan were born old.

I just seen Richard Simmons on the Ellen show. I said, how old is he anyway? He's been around as long as I can remember and still looks the same -- old.

DW looked it up. He was born in 1948... he's five years younger than me. Grrrrrr.

I don't know about Mick Jagger, but Steven Tyler still sounds really really good.

Why is Susan Boyle a joke? She looks like h*ll and acts like a fool, but she does have a voice I'd give anything to have. She also has the #1 selling album in America now. I'd like that kind of joke pointed at me, frankly. She's rolling in cash right now, lucky girl, and traveling all over the world. Susan is laughing all the way to the bank now.

Did nobody watch America's Got Talent and see how people seemed to lap up Grandma Lee? Her age seemed to play positively for her I thought.

And entertainers--particularly women--of a certain age (aka old broads) don't have to have knock-out bodies. Are you kidding? They won't be looking for vamp roles or ones as strippers I'm sure.

Roles for older women are going to start opening up--ok, maybe just on made for tv movies--but they will have to as the public is getting older. People will want actors/actresses who they can relate to, and, with an older population coming up, there will be a demand for it is all I'm saying. There is a significant percentage of the population watching tv in the near future, and they're going to be some of us geezers.

Interesting the comments about old women's bodies, so let me give you my best argument for gals I try to get into going to the pool for exercise that feel badly about their bodies (the "I'm not perfect, so I can't go" syndrome). I tell them: "Well, they don't look so hot either." I think that goes both ways, eh?

Tell it like it is OF! :clap:

Sounds like you may be speaking of 'new older' talent. Shoot, I might start taking a few acting lessons myself... Watch out world....here comes bbbamI! :D

I was talking about "new" older talent coming into the fore. About time, too.

Interesting the comments about old women's bodies, so let me give you my best argument for gals I try to get into going to the pool for exercise that feel badly about their bodies (the "I'm not perfect, so I can't go" syndrome). I tell them: "Well, they don't look so hot either." I think that goes both ways, eh?

Hey, we know we ain't cute either. We don't really care, though better looking is always a plus for anyone. And I didn't know that were talking dates; we choose dates for many reasons other than looks. Likely for most of us looks are way down on the list.

Your OP suggested that we will soon be seeing a lot of older actors/actresses. You may be right, I don't know. But I think it is not true that an older person can only relate to older actors. After all, we have all been young, been in love, had painful events in our lives. I really don't need a movie about Alzheimers to bring me down to earth. Life has already played kick the can with my a$$.

Ha

Who was mentioning dates, ha? Huh:confused:
I tell them: "Well, they don't look so hot either." I think that goes both ways, eh?

If you weren't talking about face to face encounters, I don't know what is the relevance of your statement above. If I am siting in a dark theater watching a movie, who cares what I look like other than a date?

Of course I may have misunderstood what you were getting at.

Ha

Well, there are lots of old men Dunlaps in the pool: as in, their belly Dun-lapped over their trunks. So, why should an older women be so self-conscious of their imperfections when the older men don't look so hot themselves--and the men don't seem to care either.
The men go about their business enjoying themselves and don't seem to care less if their belly hangs out, and the women are sitting in the locker room trying to get up the nerve to get into their swimsuits and lamenting the fact they have cellulite and aren't perfect. It's always been this way--particularly with white women.
Now Black women can be 80 pounds overweight, unattractive even in the face and they will say, "baby, I got it..I know I got it." We white women need to take a lesson. Black women have much higher self-esteem than white women as has been proven in a number of sociological studies.
None of us are perfect...altho women of ALL ages have bought into the media's message that they are "supposed" to be. What a crock!
If we women are expected to have perfect bodies then society should logically dictate that the men have perfect bodies, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

And, that, ha, is what I meant by saying "it goes both ways." If the women have to be perfect...well, back at 'cha.
I have no idea in the world how you got your interpretation of what I said as I'm usually pretty direct.

But as someone else pointed out... Mick has been around for a LONG time.. how many 60s 70s and 80s bands are still around...
If they remain popular for 40 years it is usually (but not always) because they are good. I don't expect a lot of oldsters to pop up in the 70s because they haven't been honing their craft over the years like the aging rockers and they won't likely have the ommmf to do what it takes to get noticed which the aging rockers did decades ago. Speaking of aging rockers I am going to see the Moody Blues in a couple of months - the crowd at that event will look like a geriatrics convention :)

how many younger bands are (what is the right word:confused:) 'mirror bands' (nope, but can not think of it)... they act like the original band since there already is an audience...
Tribute band?

Sorry to insult Susan Boyle a few posts back ("she is a joke"). She does have a nice voice, its just that the whole package is popular as a bit of a laugh reacting to the contrast - beautiful voice, dorky persona. Kind of like when that goofy 1960's actor (played a deputy or something) would break out in that powerful baritone.

[Evelyn is cut off in a parking lot]
Evelyn Couch: Hey! I was waiting for that spot!
Girl #1: Face it, lady, we're younger and faster!
[Evelyn rear-ends the other car six times]
Girl #1: What are you *doing*?
Girl #2: Are you *crazy*?
Evelyn Couch: Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance.

From Fried Green Tomatoes :rolleyes: ...

As for me? I'm comfortable with my age and "status" in life (age 62).

At 8:15 am today, 1/7/10, the Today Show had a segment on just what I said above. Obviously, I am not the only one with this thinking.

At 8:15 am today, 1/7/10, the Today Show had a segment on just what I said above. Obviously, I am not the only one with this thinking.

...all you need now is a few tens of millions other people clamoring for previously undiscovered geezer acts- and buying their CD's, tee-shirts and packing into their 50-city concert tours. I am trying to visualize your dream, but just can't quite conjure up an image of Christy Lane, Slim Whitman, or Boxcar Willie as pop icons...:LOL:

The premise of the baby boom generation dominating trends, imho, is correct. All you have to do is look at the history of TV advertising. From baby goods, to hip hop, to laxatives. As the baby boomer has aged so has the products seen on TV. I doubt the blue pill adds are aimed at gen Xers.

Texas Proud and donheff: I think they're called "cover bands."

When I posted this I wasn't talking about folks that are already known, I was talking about all the people who are going to be coming out that are going to start a 2nd career or strong interest in sports or entertainment that were retired (a la Grandma Lee).
With the best medical care the world has known up to this date, the geezers that will be living longer now and have more time on their hands (not sick, not dying)--let alone geezers being a huge percentage of the population soon--will be the dawn of a new day. Times change, situations change.
I remember when I was 15, being born in 1944, that my stepfather said, "Teenagers..all you hear is teenagers now." And it was something America hadn't heard before, but that age group was just coming into being SPENDINGWISE and advertisers wanted their business. We are the WWII babies, we are a huge group and we have money in general. These advertisers want our money.
I say still geezers are going to be the wave of the future--just like teenagers were in the '50's--more and more in the coming years with geezer sports (even if it's golf or ping pong) becoming more popular and more new geezer entertainers coming into the public eye.
Yeah, this may only last 30 years or so until we die out, but there will be more and more movies with seniors pictured as the theme of the movie and more and more activities for seniors.
After all, who heard of places like Active Adult Lifestyle centers 10 years ago (i.e., The Villages)? Times and situations change.
I'm glad some others see this, also. And it really all comes down to money $$$$.

I don't think we will see many new oldster entertainers (Susan Boyle is a joke). But I disagree that oldsters are discounted - at least with respect to voting here in America. All politicians realize that old folks vote out of proportion to the rest of the population. That is why I keep telling boomers to stop worrying about SS. We will grandfather ourselves in - and rightly so, it was part of the deal we labored under for 40 years.

Sure old people tend to vote more..... But I´ve noticed that politicians don´t appeal to them proportionally to the amount of votes they represent compared to other social groups. Must be because their vote is what we call here ·captive". No matter what they are promised the¨ll vote for the same political party. Anyway, as a class they don´t react negativley or protest effectively when their expectations aren´t met.
Here in Spain we number more than 7 million. No politician would dare to openly seriously let down that number of young/middle age voters...

Back
Top Bottom