Prediction re. older folks and entertainment

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I anticipate that we will start seeing more older folks coming into popularity that are entertainers in the coming decade a la Susan Boyle the singer (48) and Grandma Lee the comedian of America's Got Talent (70).
People who nobody ever heard of before and now--with the aging of the population here--geezers with long dormant entertainment talents will start becoming more and more popular and more and more common. Something that has never happened insofar as I can remember in my 65 years.
I think the entertainment industry will become a second career for many retired in the future.
Before this time, almost all entertainers started very young in age or, at minimum, by middle age. A person starting out at, say, 40 had a slim to no chance unless they had some amazing talent, support and tremendous drive. And that was rare.
There were exceptions to this rule--Phyllis Diller was older--but truly exceptions to the rule. I anticipate this to become commonplace pretty soon now. I think times they are a'changing just like in the early '60's we started hearing about "teenagers" all the time when they were never mentioned before. Why? Cause the baby boomers--a huge population number--came along and viola! teenagers were popular. I'm expecting the same to happen with geezers now that these same teenagers are getting old.
Sound logical? :cool: Not an earthquaking statement but just a thought.

Orchid: I hate to disagree with such a beautiful avatar, but I that what you believe will be commonplace is just but a transitory trend/fad.
It sounds depressing but once we are 60 or older we don´t count for much, even as voters..... At least in Spain.

I agree with you, but I think the "fad" will last for 20-30 years--the lifetime left of the baby boom generation. That WAS my point ultimately.

Myself, I would really watch if someone older (like 60) came on tv with some talent. In fact, I would pay MORE attention as they were older and I'd be curious as to what they could do. If they were even passable, I'd probably make a point to cheer them on each time I saw them. I can't believe this wouldn't be the everyman's inclination if everyman was over 60 years old. Who would a 60 year old relate to more: somebody in their 20's or 30's or someone in their same age group?

Yes, after 60 years old people are totally discounted in America more-or-less and some other parts of the world. Horribly in America, in fact, with youth being so worshiped over here to the point of being absurd. Amazingly, other parts of the world actually put their elders on a pedestal, but that's another subject. I never understood this even in my own youth.
With so many, many, many folks turning 60, I anticipate a huge fan base...that is, if we don't die first...ha!

I see more geezer sports becoming popular with geezer sports figures becoming known, too. Like: Grandpa Jones throws the discus X number of feet..whoopie! and Grandma Mary wins the Geezer Baseball Trophy in the paper. I think we have 20-30 years of a new day. Granted, this won't last once we die off, but, hey! maybe some of us can take advantage of this coming gravy train.

America has been SO overly youth obsessed during my generation that I'd be more than overjoyed to see it chill out for some years. But that's just my opinion and maybe others see it differently.

:LOL:

Anyone else got any ideas for other geezer sports ? :D
I always thought I would put on a white outfit and take up lawn bowling. Where better to say, "get off my lawn." Or maybe bocci ball.

But instead I've taken up the "sport" of geocaching, the urban variety, during which I feel 30 years younger and make a fool of myself.

Well, in reality, it might be more like: Grandpa Jones throws a disk out...in his back. But you get my point I think.

OMG, one of my lifeguard friends at the pool geocaches all the time. She absolutely LOVES it. Great activities for those with kids or grandkids, too. Seems to be fun for her family. I haven't done it, but she keeps encouraging me to get a GPS and go with it like you are, CuppaJoe.

***Well, I stated my prediction. It's written down now, so I'll have to see if it turns out to be true or not: more geezers in entertainment in the coming years. I has stuck my neck out....

Orchidflower....

I will kindly disagree with your premiss... you can not give me many examples of an older person making it big (that had not make it before)... the reason is that IF someone wanted to be an entertainer, they would have pursued it when younger...

And the example of Susan Boyle... I just see her as a one hit wonder... yes, a good voice, but will she sell on a second album...

EVEN IF someone came along with talent (not someone who had it when they were young and now is old.. but NEW talent).... I don't think they will be featured as the main charactor.... the advertisors go for the young crowd... they don't care that YOU have the money... you don't spend it like the young...

It has been this was for a long time.... not likely to change...

Orchidflower, with regard to your original post I think you may have something! We baby boomers have changed things every step of the way, so far in life. Also I know that I really like the music of Susan Boyle in comparison with the hip-hop music that younger folks like so much.

But then, I also love watching American Idol and seeing all of those young hopefuls singing their hearts out, and none of them are over 29. Often the music is older, though, as they are told to sing songs from the 50's, 60's, or 70's. So maybe it's the older music, not necessarily an older performer, that is appealing to me? I don't know but I do think that some smart entertainment moguls could probably profit considerably from the love we baby boomers have for older musicians/music.

Edited to add: Which is not to say that TexasProud doesn't make a good point, as well! I just didn't see that post before writing mine.

Last edited:
TexasProud: Thanks for the opposite view even if I don't right now agree with you any more than you agree with me. And that's why God makes both chocolate and vanilla!
I really like your post alot. You may be totally right. Thanks for giving me something to mull over today, and I will be. Wish I could see into the future right now.

Yeah, why are these kids on American Idol always singing all those oldies? I wondered that myself...hmmmm.... Good point, W2R.

I also think you’ve got something there with your idea, Orchidflower. We boomers are out there looking for entertainment. Who better to do it than fellow boomers? SO and I went to see Charlie Chaplin movies accompanied by an organist performing her original compositions and improvising on New Year’s Eve. Yes, it was mostly boomers in the audience. My only quibble is that there may be plenty of boomers who have been trying to make it for decades, not necessarily new performers.

Since I retired, we have been to a few daytime live performances but it seems that there is still a gap between the really old people who attend and the boomers; the boomers are not there yet in large numbers, but wait till next year!

What truly amazes me, is that there is still an audience for Laurence Welk! :eek:!

Audrey

The senior version of the old passtime, streaking, renamed the Hundred yard Mosey. With or without depends.
coolsmiley.gif

No way! If you want to see an old woman naked, just look at your date or wife. But you don't do that much, do you? For one thing she makes you turn off or turn down the lights before she will undress and you can't hardly see her in the gloom. You just go sniffing around the bed until you can locate her.

Nope, when somebody says Meryl Streep or Diane Keaton looks pretty good for a naked 60 something I think, yeah, Ok. But if I'm gonna be buying a ticket, please just give me someone who looks pretty good for a naked 25 year old. Or even pretty bad for a naked 25 year old. Last night I saw a before picture for diet product. Some young fat woman in a bikini. Nice soft roll over her bikini bottom. Huge breasts. Huge bottom. I'm thinking, girl, what you be worrying about? You at the top of your game!

Ha

Susan Boyle: Well... here in Spain she portrayed as being some sort of "circus oddity" celebrity in the beginning and went on to being "pathetically" pitied upon when she lost the contest to some mediocre youngsters....
The media treated her like some "reality show/freak" phenomenom. And even almost made fun of her apparent short period of depression.

Ha is right.

Being an entertainer requires physical abilities none of which are enhanced by age.

Sorry about that!

Actually DW is in darn good shape, no need for dimmed lights. OTOH the pics of young things do put a wider grin on my face.

Now if I was single the search pattern would be different.

I don't think we will see many new oldster entertainers (Susan Boyle is a joke). But I disagree that oldsters are discounted - at least with respect to voting here in America. All politicians realize that old folks vote out of proportion to the rest of the population. That is why I keep telling boomers to stop worrying about SS. We will grandfather ourselves in - and rightly so, it was part of the deal we labored under for 40 years.

I don't think we will see many new oldster entertainers (Susan Boyle is a joke)....
Susan will be 50 in 2011, not exactly an oldie, yet; from my viewpoint. Why, if she RE today, there would be no argument that it is still early.

I would certainly enjoy seeing older folks finding stardom as I can relate being, ummmm....more mature. :angel:

However watching some of the old bands going on tour depresses me a bit. A lot of them still sound great, but some...they just ought not do that anymore. :p

Hmmm - I thought George Burns and Walter Brennan were born old.

At least that's what I thought as a kid.

heh heh heh - :cool: I hated the days when Mom took out the Swanson TV dinners from the regular oven and we all sat in front of the black and white watching the Welk bubble machine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom