Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Especially if they marry later -- like out of college and into the workforce for a few years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #22

I appreciate your input. My son had a gf and things never turned out but at one point it was close to marriage. He told me that if marriage would of happened he would of asked for a prenuptial. He has done very well for himself and knows that an inheritance could be.

I guess I do give him a lot of credit for thinking about all avenues when getting married.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
He retired on pension but I guess that could make sense. Although can't inheritances be kept as separate property by simply never mingling it into the family's assets? I don't know this stuff as well as some of the others do, but I always thought that was the case.

Son doesn't brag as much as FIL. He just smiles and fully vests into his wife's Roth each year .... smart kid
What does it mean "fully vests into his wife's Roth each year"
Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #24

He puts 5500 into a Fidelity total stock fund for her. From what I gather, she still has her 25k savings account too
Old 09-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
He puts 5500 into a Fidelity total stock fund for her. From what I gather, she still has her 25k savings account too
Thanks. I never heard that referred to as "vesting" before. He's actually gifting her $5,500 which she invests in her Roth.

I funded my wife's IRA for many years. It worked out well as I'm sure it will for your son and DIL.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
because it shows commitment?
All it shows is that you can pay the $10 and get a license. The divorce and adultry rate proves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Other than the moral stuff, depending on where you live, this won't help. Once you cohabitat for a period of time, he/she can take half anyway...
Not in MN, after 27 years of living with the same GF, it takes more than just living together. Otherwise two college roommates would be considered married.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
............Not in MN, after 27 years of living with the same GF, it takes more than just living together. Otherwise two college roommates would be considered married.
Yea, particularly now that same sex marriage is legal there.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, particularly now that same sex marriage is legal there.
It's legal everywhere. And now it will be the thing that people will remember "you got what you wished for"...

There are the beginnings of same-sex divorce, which hopefully be the start of a more equal divorce settlements for everyone.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

The Washington Post had this last month, geared toward Millennials:

Why you’re more likely to have a prenup than your parents were
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.d6e28d7da2e5
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

A sad story, but I had an old college friend who setup a prenup to protect his fiancee.

A younger relative had "borrowed" his car w/o my friend's knowledge & caused an accident which permanently crippled the driver of the other car.

Since my friend didn't want to report his relative for auto theft, he (and future spouse) would have been on the hook for any damages awarded above insurance limits w/o the prenup.

The above is yet another reason why I will always carry an umbrella policy.

Should I or any other member of my family accidentally cause something as horrible as the above I want the injured party to receive a halfway-decent settlement.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It's legal everywhere. And now it will be the thing that people will remember "you got what you wished for"...

There are the beginnings of same-sex divorce, which hopefully be the start of a more equal divorce settlements for everyone.
I was actually joking. I can just see some poor kid coming home to tell his parents that since he shared a dorm room at college, he is now considered to be married to the guy.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Once you cohabitat for a period of time, he/she can take half anyway...
There are only 10 states that recognize common law marriages for people who marry now. In 40 out of 50 states, you have to actually be legally married for someone to claim half your stuff, living together for any period of time does not matter.

Common Law Marriage Fact Sheet €” Unmarried Equality
Old 09-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
There are only 10 states that recognize common law marriages for people who marry now. In 40 out of 50 states, you have to actually be legally married for someone to claim half your stuff, living together for any period of time does not matter.

Common Law Marriage Fact Sheet €” Unmarried Equality
What you miss is that in some areas palimony suits are easy to bring and perhaps win.

Washington is one of these.

Ha
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What you miss is that in some areas palimony suits are easy to bring and perhaps win.

Washington is one of these.

Ha
I can assure you of one thing, "You can sue anyone for anything", and "Once you get in to court, especially family court, anything can happen and probably will".

Ok, that's two things.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #35

If my son told me he was going to do a prenup with his then fiance( now wife), I would have told him he didnt really love and trust her. In reality Im sure its a wise move for many people. But in my minds eye I cant get around it as sort of hedging your bet.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
If my son told me he was going to do a prenup with his then fiance( now wife), I would have told him he didnt really love and trust her. In reality Im sure its a wise move for many people. But in my minds eye I cant get around it as sort of hedging your bet.
Hedging a bet? Not at all in my case. It's nothing more than an insurance policy of sorts. When folks stay married 'until death', it's a useless piece of paper...but when things go down the drain, it can be a good thing to have. I have been with my DW since 2006 and we've never even discussed it and I have never had any thoughts about, 'Hey! I have a prenup...let's get divorced!'
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #37

I had nearly nothing when I got married and she had less than nothing (debts). We discussed the idea of a prenup including splitting everything 50/50 if we ever broke up.

But since we had so little, we decided against the prenup. It was a terrible mistake.

The person you thought you knew well enough to marry, may not be the person you are divorcing. With a new midlife crisis and a boyfriend who was experienced in divorce law, she moved to split 90/10 or 100/0 if she could get it. Even with not much original assets to protect, enshrining the idea of a 50/50 split would have saved a lot of hassle and legal fees.

If I ever re-marry, I will insist on a prenup.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #38
Confused about dryer sheets

Married my husband this July and have been dating him for 7 years before hand. He makes good money with no assets and I have a lot of assets. Didn't think about prenups. Although when we were dating he told me his dad had a talk with him about how marriage are just not a good idea(his dad gone through two divorces) lol just don't rush into anything. And be honest with urself and the other person. Love can be blinding, I had that with my first boyfriend. The breakup was not good at all. Thank god we weren't married, although I would've cuz I was too in love or too stubborn to let it go. I now thank him for breaking up with me.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
It all depends on how much you value retirement. If you do not mind losing everything, and going back to work, no need for a prenup.

For two people with nothing, a prenup will only pre-negotiate and children issues. A judge will split the money and pensions.

I always wonder why people even get married, especially wen they are beyond the age of having kids.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen it too many times, "real love and trust" turn on a dime, most every marriage is based on love and trust