Join Early Retirement Today

Preparing for Another Hurricane in Good Ol' Fla.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Preparing for Another Hurricane in Good Ol' Fla.

Dorian (Gray) is heading our way. All the best to all our East Coast Florida Residents, stay safe. We are staying put as we always do.

Good Luck!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This morning when watching the Weather channel it looked like this thing might not be so bad and would probably not make it into the gulf. Now it is looking like it will cross FL and head west. Keeping and eye on it......

Old 08-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

WOW! I sure do feel for you people. I will take my snowstorm any day over that. No destruction and just have another cup of coffee and wait it out. LOL

Good luck
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It's raining, robustly.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
It's raining, robustly.

Bolt, whereabouts are you located?

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Just discovered that our very nice gas can, bought 2 months ago in preparation for hurricanes, is missing from our garage. Someone obviously walked in there on one of the occasions the door was left open, and walked out with it. There are no more gas cans left in the local stores - no bottled water, etc. either. Now if we must evacuate, we have no gas but what we can carry in the gas tank.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Bolt, whereabouts are you located?

omni
This is the .net
My whereabouts are always changing www.net.
However I frequent 33050

Best 2u2
Old 08-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Now if we must evacuate, we have no gas but what we can carry in the gas tank.
Most any car can get out of florida on a full tank. We'll decide Friday, but a 3 or less we'll stay put (most likely).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We're on a barrier island. If the governor says get out, we gotta get out before they close the bridges. Or so I understand the law.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
We're on a barrier island. If the governor says get out, we gotta get out before they close the bridges. Or so I understand the law.
Same as us, but we always stay anyway.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #11

Latest update I saw has it hitting the Central Florida east coast as a Cat. 3 hurricane, 115 mph. Somewhere east of Orlando, maybe, but they really won't have a good handle on exactly where it might hit until tomorrow or friday. I'm watching this closely, as we are on the Gulf Coast, west of Orlando........right now they are saying the winds could remain at or near 100 mph all the way across the peninsula
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
This is the .net
My whereabouts are always changing www.net.
However I frequent 33050

Best 2u2
Bolt,

Beautiful area.

I often visited a friend who wintered on Big Pine Key. We often bicycled or kayaked around those parts.

Stay safe. (Latest prediction I saw had Dorian headed towards the middle of FL by the weekend, so your locale may luck out.)

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just discovered that our very nice gas can, bought 2 months ago in preparation for hurricanes, is missing from our garage. Someone obviously walked in there on one of the occasions the door was left open, and walked out with it. There are no more gas cans left in the local stores - no bottled water, etc. either. Now if we must evacuate, we have no gas but what we can carry in the gas tank.
Might be a good time to go for a 2 week vacation a few states to your north. You will get quite a ways on one tank of gas, and will surely find more along the way to finish the trip. Lots of sights to see up there, and a bonus might be easier gas can availability. You can get one for the next hurricane.

Every evacuation doesn't have to be a "run for the hills" scenario. Sometimes it's just easier to leave early, especially for retirees.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! We are new at this (although I've lived in FL before, just never this close to water - and there weren't any hurricanes) so all advice is welcome at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Same as us, but we always stay anyway.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #15

Stayed at the local high school for Irma.
Will stay in the house this time, unless it develops to a Cat 4. Not crazy about driving north myself.
The Euro model has it crossing the state beneath the Tampa area. Could get interesting.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Most any car can get out of florida on a full tank. We'll decide Friday, but a 3 or less we'll stay put (most likely).
If you live in Miami you are not likely to get out of Florida on a single tank. Best you could hope for is maybe west of Ocala, maybe on your way to Tallahassee.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Latest update I saw has it hitting the Central Florida east coast as a Cat. 3 hurricane, 115 mph. Somewhere east of Orlando, maybe, but they really won't have a good handle on exactly where it might hit until tomorrow or friday. I'm watching this closely, as we are on the Gulf Coast, west of Orlando........right now they are saying the winds could remain at or near 100 mph all the way across the peninsula
That doesn't sound good. I have family in Leesburg and Oakland. I may have to reach out. Stay safe.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If you live in Miami you are not likely to get out of Florida on a single tank. Best you could hope for is maybe west of Ocala, maybe on your way to Tallahassee.
I'm in S Fla, my small SUV gets about 350 miles on a full tank, I'll get to Jacksonville at least, not worried about finding at least one gas station on the way up if I leave friday, but after Saturday we'd stay put.

I've been thru enough of these, and the house is as hurricane-safe as can be, but a 4+ isn't something I want to test in person.

It's way too early to start making and firm predictions for which parts will be hit or safe. Tomorrow will still be too early. Those lines are very vague and often move. This is where we all set our clocks by the NHC advisory schedule and just go nuts.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #19

FWIW, here are some of my favorite hurricane-monitoring websites:

ē National Hurricane Center

ē GOES-East, Caribbean Sector

ē Earth Global Wind Map

ē Mike's Weather Page

It's shaping up to be an "interesting" weekend in Florida. I prefer my weekends to be less interesting.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks! We are new at this (although I've lived in FL before, just never this close to water - and there weren't any hurricanes) so all advice is welcome at this point.

I agree with the leave early option if you have the flexibility. When I was a kid, they thought Hurricane Camille was going to hit somewhere else. At the last minute, the forecast was revised and it was a direct hit on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We evacuated and our house got 3 ft of water in it. We lived about a mile from the beach.

My sister and her husband did not evacuate for Hurricane Katrina. They got over 5 ft of water in their house. Luckily it was a 2 story house but they were pretty scared as the water was rising.

Iíve been through several hurricanes and theyíre nothing to mess around with.

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote