Join Early Retirement Today

Prescription Glasses
Old 03-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Prescription Glasses

I could tell I was in need of a new prescription so I went and got an exam. I was right and the change was pretty big. I ended up getting new regular glasses and new sunglasses with the new prescription. Total cost was nearly $800. Those who know me know that that is nearly as much as I spend per month on Everything so it was a big expense. Too late this time but for future reference could I have saved a few hundred by just having the new prescription put in my old frames? I'm not sure how that would have worked. They said it'll take two weeks to get my new glasses. It's not one of those 1 hour kind of things because my prescription is unusual. I have significant astigmatism. What do other people do to keep prescription eye glass costs down?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Eyeglasses should not cost more than a smart phone. You can get reasonable eyeglasses at costco for much less. If you are not opposed to buying glasses online, then consider zenni.com. You can buy prescription eyeglasses for less than $50 on that website. The hardest thing about buying them on line is getting your pupillary distance. If you buy your first pair at costco, they will show your pupillary distance on your receipt.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
Eyeglasses should not cost more than a smart phone. You can get reasonable eyeglasses at costco for much less. If you are not opposed to buying glasses online, then consider zenni.com. You can buy prescription eyeglasses for less than $50 on that website. The hardest thing about buying them on line is getting your pupillary distance. If you buy your first pair at costco, they will show your pupillary distance on your receipt.
^ What he said.

I buy prescription bi-focals from Zenni for $40.

You can measure your pupillary distance by punching a couple of small (notebook paper size) holes in a piece of paper. Keep varying the distance between the holes until you can hold it up to your face and see clearly out of both holes, then measure the distance between the center of each hole.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
^ What he said.

I buy prescription bi-focals from Zenni for $40.

You can measure your pupillary distance by punching a couple of small (notebook paper size) holes in a piece of paper. Keep varying the distance between the holes until you can hold it up to your face and see clearly out of both holes, then measure the distance between the center of each hole.
Same. I was reluctant to order online but the glasses turned out fine. I will order again from them.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
I've been told that if I get the basic lenses then they'd be "coke bottle" lenses. So I doubt I could get a pair for less than $50 but i'll look into it. I assume that price would also not include anti-scratch or any kind of UV protection?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Aaron, go to the zenni.com website and price out a pair outfitted with everything you want. Also, you can easily search and find a coupon for 10% off, free shipping etc. (coupons don't stack).

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #7

I used last years script and got mine from eyebuydirect... progressives with light sensitive dimming. I paid about $138 ... They worked better than the glasses I got locally a year ago (which broke).
Old 03-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've been told that if I get the basic lenses then they'd be "coke bottle" lenses. So I doubt I could get a pair for less than $50 but i'll look into it. I assume that price would also not include anti-scratch or any kind of UV protection?
I have a "coke bottle" prescription but also bifocal. I added the auto tinting lens and it all came to about $85.

If you have just a single vision lens, even with upgraded lenses it will probably be less than $50.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had an exam in November and my prescription changed slightly but it had been 4 years that I had had those glasses so I took my back-up frames to Costco for ~$200 and had new lenses put in them. My old glasses are now my back up pair.

I always get Transition lenses that darken and those are my sunglasses.... simple.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I had an exam in November and my prescription changed slightly but it had been 4 years that I had had those glasses so I took my back-up frames to Costco for ~$200 and had new lenses put in them. My old glasses are now my back up pair.

I always get Transition lenses that darken and those are my sunglasses.... simple.
I don't think I would want transition lenses. I guy I know told me a story about when he went on a road trip while wearing progressives. He was driving in sunlight so the lenses were darkened, then he went into a tunnel and he was practically blind. They don't "transition" fast enough. He had to take his glasses off until he got out of the tunnel. Very dangerous.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Another vote for Zinni! Been using them for about 8 years. Most expensive pair I have is bifocal sunglasses with polarized lenses, about $80. My regular bifocals are less than $40.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
I don't think I would want transition lenses. I guy I know told me a story about when he went on a road trip while wearing progressives. He was driving in sunlight so the lenses were darkened, then he went into a tunnel and he was practically blind. They don't "transition" fast enough. He had to take his glasses off until he got out of the tunnel. Very dangerous.
I've never found the lenses to darken while driving. Usually the UV rays are blocked by the windshield
Old 03-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
I could tell I was in need of a new prescription so I went and got an exam. I was right and the change was pretty big. I ended up getting new regular glasses and new sunglasses with the new prescription. Total cost was nearly $800. Those who know me know that that is nearly as much as I spend per month on Everything so it was a big expense. Too late this time but for future reference could I have saved a few hundred by just having the new prescription put in my old frames? I'm not sure how that would have worked. They said it'll take two weeks to get my new glasses. It's not one of those 1 hour kind of things because my prescription is unusual. I have significant astigmatism. What do other people do to keep prescription eye glass costs down?
Perhaps it is not too late to cancel the actual making of the eyeglasses, if they not started making them yet? And possibly your state requires that you be given a copy of your prescription if you ask for it. In my state (Michigan), we are to be given a copy of the Rx upon request, but you'd think I was asking for the crown jewels, as they know that I most likely will be shopping for glasses (or contact lenses) elsewhere.

omni
Old 03-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. Too late this time but for future reference could I have saved a few hundred by just having the new prescription put in my old frames?
Yes.
You could take your old frames to most opticians and have new lenses fitted to them. I've done that many times.

But the online places like Zenni and 39dollarglasses and the like don't charge much for frames so you could get new ones that way.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Frames go out of style like anything else. If your frames are still available for purchase, you could have ordered just the lenses. If the frame is no longer available, they would have to 'custom make' lenses for your old frames. Very expensive. Also, for the transition lenses, they do not darken too much while driving because of the tint in the vehicle's windshield. My husband wears prescription sunglasses while driving, but can where his transition glasses for sunglasses when not in the car or truck. The tunnel story doesn't sound accurate.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #16

The last time I got glasses, I had access to my employer's "Vision Care" plan, which pretty much covered only an annual exam and offered (supposed) discounts on glasses.

We used a typical chain optical center, where they did the exam and then steered you to the walls with the expensive designer frames. Then there were the up charges: gradient lenses, special coatings, even a charge for the extra work to do gradient lenses on narrow lenses. I was less picky then since I had a Use it or Lose It Medical Spending Account.

I'm ready for another exam and will go to Costco. We were very impressed with DH's experience buying hearing aids (thanks to those here who suggested Costco). No hustle, no up charges, reasonable prices.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I've never found the lenses to darken while driving. Usually the UV rays are blocked by the windshield
+1 They do not darken while you are in the car and I have driven through many tunnels from sunlight with no problem.

Quote:
Also, since they are activated by UV exposure, most Transitions lenses don't work behind the windshield of a car (your windshield actually blocks UV rays). However, Transitions® XTRActive® lenses do activate moderately behind a windshield as they react to both UV and visible light.
That said, when you come in from outside it does take some time to transition from darker to lighter but it is rarely an issue for me and the benefit of not having to carry sunglasses or a clip-on far exceed these things.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Same. I was reluctant to order online but the glasses turned out fine. I will order again from them.

I just had an eye exam and asked for the rx. The rx only lists the measurements for the following for the rt (right eye?) and the lt (left eye?) :

Sphere
Cylinder
Axis

Is this enough to order glasses on line? It's all greek to me.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I am another satisfied Zenni customer. If I recall correctly, the waiting was the worse part. I think it took2-3 weeks before I got them. Then you'll have to fit them, which isn't difficult.

in order to order online from anyone, you will need to measure the pupillary distance. There are many how-to videos online.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My transitions lenses aren't good enough for driving in bright sunlight. The problem seems to be that if I'm in the car, the sunlight isn't hitting my face, and my lenses don't get that dark.

I really have to use a prescription pair of sunglasses if I'm driving with glasses. I'm usually wearing contacts, but I had to take a two week break recently.