Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Prescription Sport Glasses
Old 03-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Prescription Sport Glasses

I need some prescription sport glasses for running,biking etc something that will stay on my head. I would like to get a decent pair at reasonable price. Brand name? Retailer? Price? Any suggestions greatly appreciated
BF
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Administrator

The forum search function is your friend. Here are two recent (2014) threads that cover some good online and brick & mortar options for eyeglasses.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ses-72960.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ain-71817.html
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Sport glasses
Old 03-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sport glasses

One thing I forgot to mention is I have tri-focals.
BF
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
One thing I forgot to mention is I have tri-focals.
BF
But for sports, you probably won't need all three focal lengths. So, if you can pick up a pair for $39 in one focal length at Buy Discount Prescription Eyeglasses & Sunglasses - 100% Guarantee!, and look for one of those elastic thingies that go behind your head and hold them on firmly, that might be one solution?

I just wear my regular trifocals for sports, but then I am not a runner and they stay put quite well on the stationary bike or when lifting weights.

(Edited to add: I got a pair of distance-only, single focal length sunglasses from thirtyninedollarglasses.com for driving, and they have been terrific. They are every bit as good as my expensive trifocals from lenscrafters, other than just having one focal length. They do bifocals but they cost more, and I think they might do trifocals if you call.)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Wal-Mart
Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But for sports, you probably won't need all three focal lengths. So, if you can pick up a pair for $39 in one focal length at Buy Discount Prescription Eyeglasses & Sunglasses - 100% Guarantee!, and look for one of those elastic thingies that go behind your head and hold them on firmly, that might be one solution?

I just wear my regular trifocals for sports, but then I am not a runner and they stay put quite well on the stationary bike or when lifting weights.

(Edited to add: I got a pair of distance-only, single focal length sunglasses from thirtyninedollarglasses.com for driving, and they have been terrific. They are every bit as good as my expensive trifocals from lenscrafters, other than just having one focal length. They do bifocals but they cost more, and I think they might do trifocals if you call.)
I did something similar to W2R: Distance-only sunglasses which I use not only for driving but also for running and other sports. I needed an eye exam anyway; eye Dr. at my local Wal-Mart was great. And, I tried on a variety of their sports frames to find one that I actually liked; they have worked well for a few years now. If I had not found anything, I planned to go the mail-order/online route recommended by several other posters here.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe just get your eyes fixed?
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have an older pair of prescription sunglasses, from prior to presbyopia setting in. They work okay for distance, but I can't see the dash display on my car or the bike computer on my bicycle...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Maybe just get your eyes fixed?
I don't know about the OP, but this in not an option for many people, like myself. Very bad vision means corneas aren't thick enough for LASIK. It's a shame that this procedure won't work for the people who need it the most.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #9

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1426778820.576954.jpg

How about Kurt Rambis style.

If not contacts are good for sports.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

If you are just running/biking most any pair of glasses should stay on your head unless you're dripping in sweat.

If you are playing basketball or other sports where there might be some jerkiness in movement, I've found croakies to work well for keeping your glasses on:

http://www.amazon.com/Croakies-Unise.../dp/B002P68BRG

However they won't help you if you get beaned in the head with a ball or knocked around.

I also used to have a pair of Oakley's where the arms had a full hook that went around the ears. This worked quite well.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
If you are just running/biking most any pair of glasses should stay on your head unless you're dripping in sweat.

If you are playing basketball or other sports where there might be some jerkiness in movement, I've found croakies to work well for keeping your glasses on:

http://www.amazon.com/Croakies-Unise.../dp/B002P68BRG

However they won't help you if you get beaned in the head with a ball or knocked around.

I also used to have a pair of Oakley's where the arms had a full hook that went around the ears. This worked quite well.
Yeah!! I think your post is terrific. The croakies that you linked to is the elastic thing-a-ma-jig I was talking about in my previous post and it works really well. And also I agree that really my trifocals stay put really firmly for anything that I would normally do, although I think that if someone slammed into me really hard they would fall off.

If someone did do that to me at my age and in ANY context, I'd be furious and probably call a lawyer. The only time my glasses have ever been knocked off, was that time when I fainted at the gym and my head hit some exercise equipment on the way down very hard, knocking me out cold. My glasses flew about 10 feet away but were fine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah!! I think your post is terrific. The croakies that you linked to is the elastic thing-a-ma-jig I was talking about in my previous post and it works really well. And also I agree that really my trifocals stay put really firmly for anything that I would normally do, although I think that if someone slammed into me really hard they would fall off.

If someone did do that to me at my age and in ANY context, I'd be furious and probably call a lawyer. The only time my glasses have ever been knocked off, was that time when I fainted at the gym and my head hit some exercise equipment on the way down very hard, knocking me out cold. My glasses flew about 10 feet away but were fine.
I have seen some fairly aggressive ladies of a certain age playing basketball and soccer, and there's definitely contact. I don't think anybody is getting sued, though.

I'm planning to start diving again, and have been looking at prescription dive masks. I did some snorkeling recently, and with my vision and a regular mask it was pretty unexciting, like looking at a kid's drawing where the colors go way outside the lines. SeaVision has some nice stuff. It's expensive, but would be worth it.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I have seen some fairly aggressive ladies of a certain age playing basketball and soccer, and there's definitely contact. I don't think anybody is getting sued, though.

I'm planning to start diving again, and have been looking at prescription dive masks. I did some snorkeling recently, and with my vision and a regular mask it was pretty unexciting, like looking at a kid's drawing where the colors go way outside the lines. SeaVision has some nice stuff. It's expensive, but would be worth it.
I think I've seen those same ladies playing volleyball and practicing martial arts; and, getting sued is not the bit that concerns me most (rather, being on the receiving end of that aggressive play).

Contact lenses are still my preference for snorkeling and diving; this may change when I can no longer read my dive computer with them. Maybe I'll go the one far one near route at that point.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Over the past few years I have changed from myopia (-2.75 diopters in one eye, -2.25 in the other) to completely normal. Yesterday I had my exam and no glasses needed, for driving or anything else. I used to have glasses endorsement on my driver's license, but no longer do. Like diabetologists recommending high carb diets, optometrists giving ever stronger minus corrections are creating annuities for themselves.

It is not hard to do, just takes some time and dedication. I figured out the method on my own, but it is becoming more widely known now. Like many radical health measures, it involves departing from your friendly practitioners advice. I have talked to a few friends and family about it, none of them has tried it yet, so what else is new?

Ha
Old 03-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Always a struggle to find sunglasses that work for picking up a baseball off the bat on really sunny days. Have some wraparound glasses with a prescription insert for a very minor distance correction, going for every edge I can get - definitely not cheap. And night games are a real struggle sometimes, things are just fuzzy under bad lights. I've still got close to 20/20 vision at middle distances, but need reading glasses for close-in stuff. One more annoyance in getting older.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm planning to start diving again, and have been looking at prescription dive masks.
Harley, a couple of decades ago when I was an active diver I had a prescription dive mask I ordered from one of the ads in the back of a scuba magazine. Don't remember which one, but it wasn't too expensive. They basically just cemented the lenses inside the mask. I sent them my mask with dots marked where my pupils were located (easy to do standing in front of a mirror with the mask on), and a copy of my prescription. They did a great job, and I was totally happy with it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote:
That sounds like a serious knock. Good thing you came through fine. A friend of my MIL fell down and almost took her eye out when hit a chair.

I used to play many team sports and horsed around alot with friends. Basically that means my glasses went flying every so often or the lenses popped out. My most useful tool was the tiny screwdriver on my swiss army knife that I used for fixing my glasses. I probably should have gotten contacts.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Over the past few years I have changed from myopia (-2.75 diopters in one eye, -2.25 in the other) to completely normal. Yesterday I had my exam and no glasses needed, for driving or anything else. I used to have glasses endorsement on my driver's license, but no longer do. Like diabetologists recommending high carb diets, optometrists giving ever stronger minus corrections are creating annuities for themselves.

It is not hard to do, just takes some time and dedication. I figured out the method on my own, but it is becoming more widely known now. Like many radical health measures, it involves departing from your friendly practitioners advice. I have talked to a few friends and family about it, none of them has tried it yet, so what else is new?

Ha
So, what's the secret? I've been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 11, and would love to get away from that without the surgery. Is it eye exercise? I've never heard of this.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, what's the secret? I've been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 11, and would love to get away from that without the surgery. Is it eye exercise? I've never heard of this.
Here is a video that describes a technique very similar to mine. I started wearing glasses at 16 myself, for myopia

Ha
Old 03-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
gone traveling

I had been playing softball with progressive lenses and was having problems fielding, so switched to fixed lens late in the season last year and problem was solved. It may not be a problem for everyone that has bifocals or progressives, but many have told me they too had troubles with those type Rx. Now if I could only get rid of the floaters, I'd be a happy camper.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote