Join Early Retirement Today

Presidential Candidate Calculator
Old 01-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Presidential Candidate Calculator

Check this out:

http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html

It's a calculator that asks you how you feel about different issues like illegal immigrants and the Iraq War and universal health care and then tells you which candidate is closest to you on all those issues combined.

I have a 89% match with Mike Gravel, a former Alaska Senator. Great! Just my luck---somone who is not a viable candidate!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Noticably absent from the issue list was Tax Cuts - seems odd?

Old 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I am undecided, I took the test. Results were surprising to me.

76.9% match with Giuliani, Huckabee, and Romney

66.6% match with Clinton, Obama (I must not be paying attention to what he's been saying) and Thompson

A couple of those candidates give me indigestion, and gees, I thought McCain would be in there somewhere...guess it must be that amnesty/border thing.

Anyone else surprised with their results?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #4

I was pretty surprised. I too scored high with Gravel, and don't know the first thing about him.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I was pretty surprised. I too scored high with Gravel, and don't know the first thing about him.
Same here, I don't know who he is and had no idea he was a candidate. I voted "No" on just about everything, I would have thought that would lead to "Dr. No", aka Ron Paul...hmm, interesting.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also scored high with Gravel.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

McCain and Giulani for me. Which was exactly my gut level 1st and 2nd choices at the beginning of the campaing.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #8

Kucinich, then Gravel.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Biden
Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #10

Huckabee, Romney, Thompson.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well....... I regret that this "calculator" got posted. It seems that the candidate that I chose as the one I dislike the most in the concurrent survey thread is the one this calculator says I am most in synch with on issues. Now I need to pour a glass of Jameson's and settle down in my chair by the window and think about this for a while......... I dislike the person I most agree with on issues..... very disturbing. If it was summer, I'd go for a long paddle.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Well....... I regret that this "calculator" got posted. It seems that the candidate that I choose as the one I dislike the most in the concurrent survey thread is the one this calculator says I am most in synch with on issues. Now I need to pour a glass of Jameson's and settle down in my chair by the window and think about this for a while......... I dislike the person I most agree with on issues..... very disturbing. If it was summer, I'd go for a long paddle.
Sorry, I got a chuckle out of your post.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #13

Very interesting calculator.

Like youbet, there is not a whole lot of correlation between who I like personally and who I agree with on the issues.

My only political theory is that the most likable major party candidate will win the Presidency. Issues don't matter; it's essentially senior class president writ large.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Gravel as well, 89% match. Who the heck is he? He can't be important, as I haven't seen a single smear advertisement against him yet

Kucinich also for 89%, then Biden for 82%.

Great! Once again voting for the ones who will never get elected in a million years. You know, the ones who really want to implement change..

Interestingly, on the side, it shows the top choices. Gravel for 14%, followed by Giulliani for 11%. I wonder if that is an interesting sampling issue of who surfs the net.

Imagine if the voting system worked like this instead of a popularity contest, and who had the most money for campaigning/PR?