presidents, war, etc

Re: surprise early retirement

Rustic23 said:
As Mill’s quote implies, it must be easy to remain a pacifist while some other father’s son keeps you free. Well, I’m that father. When I think of the 3,000 people who died in New York, I am proud to be that father

Honest question from me.  What does New York have to do with a war on Iraq?  How does killing thousands of civilian Iraquis and creating a climate for civil war keep anyone free?  I'm asking this question with respect.

Rustic23 said:
As Mill’s quote implies, it must be easy to remain a pacifist while some other father’s son keeps you free. Well, I’m that father. When I think of the 3,000 people who died in New York, I am proud to be that father

In the interest of keeping things friendly here, I am holding my tongue, despite great provocation/temptation. As far as I am concerned, the military (all countries/branches/flavors/etc.) is a pox on society and a leech at best. There is nothing great or redeeming in military service, IMO. I don't want your supposed sacrifice or "protection".

I am glad you are proud of your son, but keep your opinions on other people's principled stances to yourself.

'Sall I'm gonna say on the subject.

While I used 911 as an example the questions are:

Should a country have a military?
If so, who decides when it is used?
If you don’t agree with its use is ok for you to ‘sit this one out’?

I really don’t know if the history will prove the Iraq portion of the war on terror was right or wrong, and no one that reads this board does either. I don’t know all the reasons we invaded Iraq. I know what some on the right say, and what some on the left say. I doubt if either have the complete story. I do know there are bad people in this world and somebody better be willing to defend against them. I am thankful that in 1943 there were people that felt Japan and Germany were worth taking on.

I don’t understand pacifist. To me they deny the existence of evil, or they are willing to live under it, or they are willing to let someone else defeat it. Do they honestly believe that the world would be a better place if Hitler won? Would we be a better country if we chose not to fight the British? Would we rejoice if the South was allowed to dissolve the nation?

While I am not quite as adamant as Brewer, I don’t think there is much he could say that would change the way I think. I do know this is not going to help Arkie.

Arkie, sorry this hijacked your thread. It sounds like you have cash or assets worth more that 1M. I don’t know what life style you are use to, but I would think you could live happily in Arkansas on a 4% SWR. You both have jobs that would appear to travel well. School teachers are in demand everywhere, and HR reps are needed by just about every company. Part time, or consulting would seem to be an option to supplement the SWR. Good Luck.

Rustic23 said:
While I used 911 as an example the questions are:

Should a country have a military?
If so, who decides when it is used?
If you don’t agree with its use is ok for you to ‘sit this one out’?

A very measured response sir. I think the best synonym for pacifist is free-rider. Unless it is the type of pacifist that becomes a medic. Free-riding is an unattractive but evolutionarily fit tactic. It is up to the rest of the tribe to try to prevent and or punish it.

However, I would not have anyone go into this Iraq thing; it appears to be very badly chosen action. If it were good surely we would see some of the good by now. It seems a bad use of men and treasure.

Ha

No doubt about it, Arkie is a trouble-maker.
(He started this thread). ;)

Jarhead, who hopes the "Big Guy" looks out
for your Marine Pilot son.

brewer12345 said:
In the interest of keeping things friendly here, I am holding my tongue, despite great provocation/temptation.  As far as I am concerned, the military (all countries/branches/flavors/etc.) is a pox on society and a leech at best.  There is nothing great or redeeming in military service, IMO.  I don't want your supposed sacrifice or "protection".

I am glad you are proud of your son, but keep your opinions on other people's principled stances to yourself.

'Sall I'm gonna say on the subject.
Come on, Brewer. Be a conservative. Be a warmonger. Everyone is doing it. It's hard to be a liberal. Why be in a voiceless minority when you can go along with the mindless crowd? You start out being concerned about other people and before long their misery keeps you from sleeping at night. Join the crowd. Wrap yourself in the flag and become a conservative. If other people are suffering, it must be their fault. Screw 'em. You can sleep.

Be a conservative. Don't be fiscally responsible and worry about future generations. Spend future generation's money on war. Cooperation and respect are too hard. It takes too long to understand other cultures and gain repect. Drop the big one. Show 'em what a conservative is made of.

Come on, Brewer. Be a conservative. Science and reason is too difficult. FOX news and religious fundamentalists will tell you what to think. Why waste all that time collecting real facts and analyzing them when others will do the work for you.

Be a conservative, Brewer. You don't need rights. The current US administration knows what's best for you. Let them tap your phone without legal procedures. Let them torture prisoners. Standing for personal freedom and international law is overrated.

Come on, Brewer. Embrace modern conservatism. It's just easier. ;)

sgeeeeeeeeeeeeee, glad to see some humor here, since I am having a real hard time not telling people to go "Dick Cheney" themselves.

BTW, I heard a good one yesterday, although I amunlikely to getthe exact wording right.  Something like this:

Its important to remind people that Cheney is not the first administration official in the last two administrations to shoot a person in the chest and face.

Heather said:
Now, bring on the boobs!! :p

Sorry, i've been slacking.

Ta da! Ta ta's!

r1348634563.jpg

CFB to the rescue!! :D

One last thought from me on the off-topic discussion: one Dwight Eisenhower, hardly a pacifist, warned of the military-industrial complex...

Back on topic, whilst waiting to not be chosen for a jury last week, a fellow prospective juror was discussing an acquaintance who had moved away from DFW, Collin Co. specifically, who bought an equivalent home in the Hot Springs area of Ark, and was paying $700/yr. property taxes...

Bit cheaper than here...

As far as Jimmy Carter goes, he seemed like a smart guy. Growing up as a teenager and being on my own for the first time right smack when he got into office certainly made for some interesting times. Couldnt buy a new car or anything worthwhile used, as the interest rates were in the 10%+ range. Every food item cost more every time I went to the grocery store. I felt like my country was represented by a bunch of huge pussies for letting some crappy little 3rd world outfit grab our people out of our own embassy and we wouldnt do a thing about it. So those recollections...not so good.

On the other hand, for the first couple of years Reagan was in after that, I was pretty sure I'd be suiting up to go fight the soviets in afghanistan... :p

Funny how that relatively meaningless little country in central asia has had such a profound effect on two of the three world superpowers in recent years. That means its China's turn next... :eek:

bennevis said:
I guess I have a bad feeling about AR, because that's where the second worst President of the USA is from (the worst was Carter).

That statement does not make you look very intelligent. :crazy:

It was Jimmy Carter that appointed Paul Volker to the Fed. Volker replaced Burns in 1979. 2 Full years before Reagan Became President. This is what caused the Prime rate to go to 20% and end Inflation. Carter was the one that took the 'bad medicine' to turn the economy around.

Trying to blame Carter for the economic conditions of the late 70's, is like a current retiree patting himself on the back for the financial moves that he made yesterday. It takes years to have a effect on the financial condition of a person, much less a whole country.

Trying to credit or blame any president for anything economic is a little tough to do.

I do like the yellow dog political folks who slide the bars to give credit to their guy for the good stuff and blame to the other guy for the bad stuff...

Cut-Throat said:
It was Jimmy Carter that appointed Paul Volker to the Fed. Volker replaced Burns in 1979. 2 Full years before Reagan Became President. This is what caused the Prime rate to go to 20% and end Inflation. Carter was the one that took the 'bad medicine' to turn the economy around.

WIN

Yup. Volker was probably one of the best chairmen IMO.

Can't we put aside our differences, and just agree that all politicians are idiots? ;)

No, they're not ALL idiots...

Some are dipsh*ts, some are f*#%wads, many are a$$holes... :p

Heather said:
No, they're not ALL idiots...

Some are dipsh*ts, some are f*#%wads, many are a$$holes...  :p

Some are also all three. Take Orin Hatch or Tom DeLay for example....

You forgot 'buttheads'.

Yeah, I can go for them all being morons.

Now why do we keep voting in morons?

Oh yeah. Billions of dollars pumped through a pair of good old boy networks. And people just do what their television tells them to do.

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Now why do we keep voting in morons?

To keep the wrong moron from winning?

From the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
…’It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see…’ (this is just after a huge robot lands in downtown London, killing people, doing billions of dollars of damage - and announcing ‘I come in peace, take me to your lizard’)

‘You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?’

‘No,’ said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, ‘nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.’

‘Odd,’ said Arthur, ‘I thought you said it was a democracy.’

‘I did,’ said Ford. ‘It is.’

‘So,’ said Arthur, hoping he wasn’t sounding ridiculously obtuse, ‘why don’t people get rid of the lizards?’

‘It honestly doesn’t occur to them,’ said Ford. ‘They’ve all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they’ve voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.’

‘You mean they actually vote for the lizards?’

‘Oh yes,’ said Ford with a shrug, ‘of course.’

‘But,’ said Arthur, going for the big one again, ‘why?’

‘Because if they didn’t vote for a lizard,’ said Ford, ‘the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?’

One thing not mentioned so far about President Carter is he started the funding for Osama and the group that ran USSR out of Afghanistan (Taliban). Reagan carried on with the executive order and continued to support the "resistance", also Bush I and Clinton.

Boobs - all of them

sgeeeee said:
Come on, Brewer. Be a conservative. Be a warmonger. Everyone is doing it. It's hard to be a liberal. Why be in a voiceless minority when you can go along with the mindless crowd? You start out being concerned about other people and before long their misery keeps you from sleeping at night. Join the crowd. Wrap yourself in the flag and become a conservative. If other people are suffering, it must be their fault. Screw 'em. You can sleep.

Be a conservative. Don't be fiscally responsible and worry about future generations. Spend future generation's money on war. Cooperation and respect are too hard. It takes too long to understand other cultures and gain repect. Drop the big one. Show 'em what a conservative is made of.

Come on, Brewer. Be a conservative. Science and reason is too difficult. FOX news and religious fundamentalists will tell you what to think. Why waste all that time collecting real facts and analyzing them when others will do the work for you.

Be a conservative, Brewer. You don't need rights. The current US administration knows what's best for you. Let them tap your phone without legal procedures. Let them torture prisoners. Standing for personal freedom and international law is overrated.

Come on, Brewer. Embrace modern conservatism. It's just easier. ;)

I guess the big question is "Who would Jesus bomb?"

F-One said:
One thing not mentioned so far about President Carter is he started the funding for Osama and the group that ran USSR out of Afghanistan (Taliban). Reagan carried on with the executive order and continued to support the "resistance", also Bush I and Clinton.

Boobs - all of them

This always seems to come back to bite us: Afghanistan, Panama, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam...

"How many more times?" Led Zeppelin

Heather said:
This always seems to come back to bite us: Afghanistan, Panama, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam...

"How many more times?" Led Zeppelin

Makes me wonder where we are sowing the seeds of tomorrow's disasters. Aside from the "usual suspects" above, any ideas? Gotta be somewhere in South America and Africa that my kids will be regretting what we are doing today.

Back
Top Bottom