Preventing hang over question

My Dream

Full time employment: Posting here.
Monday is a holiday here in Canada and I'm in need of a considerable amount of liquid libation. Low and behold we're invited to a friends place for dinner on Saturday night and were told to make sure we're parched. Since they live within walking distant..........well that's is a no brain-er.

I know there are many supposid ways to prevent a hangover before you go to bed such as:

-After you finish drinking alcohol, drink a sports drink or a liquid with mostly water and electrolytes. Any drink with glucose will do.

-Eating before you drink will help slow the absorption of the alcohol.

-Drink lots of water before, during, and after drinking

-Don’t drink drinks that hide the taste of alcohol too much. You will drink fast and too much. The exception here is fruit drinks have the vitamins you lose through alcohol. If you must drink hard liquor,

-And the list goes on since everyone is different.

Question:

Since I've found that taking an aspirin just before bedtime seems to be the only one that has worked so far. Has anyone also found this to be true?

PS. Weather is showing "no rain and average temperature of 90 degree F".

Talk to you on Tuesday folks and have a great weekend, I'm sure you all deserve it also.

My Dream

Caplets of activated charcoal seemed to help, as well as the aspirin before bed. Have fun!

Don't want a hangover? Don't drink alcohol.

If you have to drink, stick to quality beverages, and drink a glass of H2O after you have a few beers. Then before you go to bed, drink more H2O.

...drink a glass of H2O after you have a few beers. Then before you go to bed, drink more H2O.
That also goes for wine (my beverage of choice). Wine tends to dehydrate you, and will make any "reaction" worse, IMHO.

I learned to enjoy (and drunk vast quantities) when I worked in France. A simple equation was 1.5 ml (or here, oz.) of water for every 1 ml of wine drunk. Never a hangover - in my case (can't speak for anybody else)....

I'll second all those who suggest drinking water while imbibing more interesting beverages. However, I would highly advise against drinking a sports drink as the sugars they contain typically aggravate hangovers. If you really need an electrolyte boost, I would suggest an isotonic beverage with few sugars such as coconut water.

I'm off for 1.5 weeks after today so I will be taking my own advice frequently over that course of time.

Have fun and don't hurt yourself.

Stick to one form of alcohol - I don't know if drinking various things in an evening gives you more of a chance of a hangover, but I do know it makes a more unpleasant hangover.

Well on the occasion I have had more than one bev.....:angel:.......

I try to stay with one type of drink. Then before I go to bed, I drink a glass or two of water and take a couple of Ibuprofen. When I get up early in the morning to 'wee' :blush:, I take two more Ibuprofen with a glass of water and go back to bed.

Have a wonderful time....I wish I could join you! :dance:

I'd agree with all the comments on plenty of plain water before, between each drink, and after. Drink far more water than you do alc.

If you are drinking enough to get a hangover with all that water, then I think you are just drinking too much. Ethanol is toxic at a point, you just can't over-do it.

-ERD50

I have not imbibed alcohol in any form in many years. However, in my drinking days, I had hangovers that would kill a horse. So, it's a good thing I'm not a horse.:)

If I remember, aspirin before going to sleep did help. And bananas for breakfast (replace potassium).

DO NOT take Tylenol or the generic equivalent. As I recall, the active ingredient produces a toxin in your liver and with alcohol in the blood it produces a LOT of said toxin. According to Nightline (?) a long time ago, this has resulted in several deaths. The manufacturer has successfully convinced doctors that this is only a problem with alcoholics, but the show said, No, a single incident can kill you. Alcoholism not required.

Not drinking is the best solution.

I should have remembered that last night.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I had a great weekend, we walked to the neighbours house down the street and as it happens I never drank as much as I thought I would but still took an aspirin before bed. All was well the next day as we prepared for a afternoon bbq and had my son's friend over for a jam session. Two six string electrics and a bass guitar. We had such a great time even though I probably played the worst, but we'll have to do it again although next time with drums and a keyboard. No complaints from my neighbours as we played in the back yard. Mind you I gave them notice before hand and stopped playing at 10:00 pm. The rest of the night was spent laughing, having a few........well maybe more then a few drinks and winding down to a star lite night.

I needed that. :dance:

Oh and Bbbbbbam. I went by your place to pick you up but was told you were out painting the town. Maybe next time? :greetings10:

Oh and Bbbbbbam. I went by your place to pick you up but was told you were out painting the town. Maybe next time? :greetings10:
Yes....all my neighbors were wondering why a limo stopped in front of my house.

Sure.....another time will be fine. I'll have my paint brush ready and I'll be tickled to join you! :greetings10:

(I'm glad you had fun....you deserved it. ;))

Back
Top Bottom