Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When you come across a preview chapter at the end of a book ...
I like it, and I read it 11 44.00%
I like it, but I don't read it 0 0%
I don't like it, but I read it anyway 5 20.00%
I don't like it, and I don't read it 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Preview of Next Book at End of Current Book
Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Preview of Next Book at End of Current Book

When you finish a book and find that the author has included a preview chapter from his/her next book ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tend to dislike it. If I liked the book, I'm probably already planning to search for more by that author to put on my wishlist.

If the book isn't out yet, reading the preview makes me want it now, which is frustrating. OTOH, I don't recall if it has ever made me not buy the second book; thus, as an author interested in selling more to me, there apparently is no real downside...

E.T.A.--didn't see the poll when I first clicked/posted. Sorry for the tangent!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

There's no poll option for "other".

If there is a preview I'll read it, but tend to dislike it because it smacks so much of advertising (which of course it is) and I try as hard as I can to ignore advertising.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I read books for the subject content, not because of any particular author. I don't follow any author's particular genre, such as romance novels or cooking. Its the subject, not the person writing about it, that interests me.

_B
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

As a big fan of serial novels, I appreciate preview chapters. If I liked the first book, it's great to have proof that more of the story awaits. When I finally get Book No. 2, I enjoy "recognizing" the preview chapter.

Amethyst
Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If the book was good I like it . If the book was so so I ignore it .
Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There's no poll option for "other".

If there is a preview I'll read it, but tend to dislike it because it smacks so much of advertising (which of course it is) and I try as hard as I can to ignore advertising.
Yes, I should have put an Other option, because that's the option I would have chosen.

I'm trying to decide whether to add a preview to my upcoming book.

Pros:

• It's fun to do (just like a "real" author).
  • I'm excited about the ideas in the next book, and it would be fun to share.
  • It doesn't add to the cost (eBook) or adds minimally to the cost of the print book.

Cons:

• The next book won't be out for a year
  • I, too, am anti-advertising
  • It could be smarter to just have a link to the Amazon page (when it is available) and the reader can download a sample.
  • It adds another chapter's-worth of proofreading.
  • I will have links to my author web site, and readers can sign up for notification of new releases (You can sign up too: AlMacyAuthor.com).
Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like it. A favorite author was doing that with a series and it helped anticipate the next book, and gave a satisfying little hint that more was to come and favorite characters wouldn't be stuck at the end of the old book. Somehow added to the closure of the old book to know they they had new adventures ahead of them.

On the other hand, one of her books may not have been ready so instead short excepts from another of the publishers authors was included in the last book. Except was great, I was happy to try an author I never heard of and motivated to get the whole book. It was massively disappointing. The thrill of the excerpt was the highlight of the book. The rest was a bothersome slog and I was not just disappointed in the book and the new author - never wasting time with him again - but I'm also peeved at the publisher. I'd rather have had no excerpt than this commercial trick and I'm disappointed in my original author for allowing it (which maybe was out of her control, but I'm still mad at her).