Join Early Retirement Today

Price Suggestions For Selling Computer Related Stuff on Craig's List
Old 03-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Price Suggestions For Selling Computer Related Stuff on Craig's List

I would like price suggestions on any of the following items. I live where many people can easily get to me, so it will not present a travel issue to any prospective buyer.

1)A set of Klipsch speakers with a a big subwoofer, and two desktop computer speakers.

2)19"Dell flat screen LCD monitor.

3) An A-V cabinet. It is high quality furniture made from bent mahagony plywood and 3 heavy glass shelves. I had my TV on top, reciver and DVD player on lower shelf, and theater speakers on center shelf. I am using a more compact set-up now, and I have replaced my monitor with 24"rectangular screen.

I have no experience selling on Craig's List, so I would really like suggestions. I am too cheap to have purchased these except for the monitor and the giver does not want them back.

Thanks,

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You've said that you live near universities. In the old days, posting stereo gear for sale on a student center bulletin board was a tried and true way to find a seller. I'm guessing that it's not the most common method anymore, but it might be worth a walk to see.

Large items like these sell on eBay, but shipping charges can get pretty hefty. I've purchased bookshelf speakers that way before, but not a subwoofer or floorstanding speakers.

If you're not willing to lug the gear to a shipping point and pay for materials to have 'em properly boxed up, however, I wouldn't suggest selling these items on eBay. "Local pickup only" is an option, but you will not get nearly as much interest from bidders.

In any case, an eBay search will give you an idea of asking prices and sold prices. for instance:

klipsch | eBay
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would like price suggestions on any of the following items. I live where many people can easily get to me, so it will not present a travel issue to any prospective buyer.

1)A set of Klipsch speakers with a a big subwoofer, and two desktop computer speakers.

2)19"Dell flat screen LCD monitor.

3) An A-V cabinet. It is high quality furniture made from bent mahagony plywood and 3 heavy glass shelves. I had my TV on top, reciver and DVD player on lower shelf, and theater speakers on center shelf. I am using a more compact set-up now, and I have replaced my monitor with 24"rectangular screen.

I have no experience selling on Craig's List, so I would really like suggestions. I am too cheap to have purchased these except for the monitor and the giver does not want them back.

Thanks,

Ha

I would check ebay & craig's list to see what other people are selling these items for . I would then price them slightly lower . To sell on Craig' s list you need to take pictures of the item, give measurements and condition . I have sold several things on Craig's list and I am always impressed with how easy it is . Take cash or paypal only !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
You've said that you live near universities. In the old days, posting stereo gear for sale on a student center bulletin board was a tried and true way to find a seller. I'm guessing that it's not the most common method anymore, but it might be worth a walk to see.

Large items like these sell on eBay, but shipping charges can get pretty hefty. I've purchased bookshelf speakers that way before, but not a subwoofer or floorstanding speakers.

If you're not willing to lug the gear to a shipping point and pay for materials to have 'em properly boxed up, however, I wouldn't suggest selling these items on eBay. "Local pickup only" is an option, but you will not get nearly as much interest from bidders.

In any case, an eBay search will give you an idea of asking prices and sold prices. for instance:

klipsch | eBay
Excellent- I have this same ProMedia 2.1 (3) speaker system, and one set sold for $115, and another for $93. So that gives me a good target. And I will walk down to the University and see what is on the Student Union Bulletin Board. Thanks Htown and Moe.

Ha
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Haha, please be prepared to receive scam emails once your ads is posted on craigslist. Those scammers must have some software to automatically scan for new ads. Some scam emails are lame, but I have to say some are pretty good. One time I literally reversed a scam inquiry (via a utility) and sent it back to keep the communication more entertaining.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #6

Good luck. Used computer stuff seems to be hard to sell anymore, unless you're almost giving it away. I've been trying to sell a great 22" Samsung flatscreen monitor that's barely used, bought new in '09. I paid $300 for it, and it's spent 3 years in the box it came in, unplugged. I listed it on Craigslist. I started out asking $150 for it, expecting it to be sold quickly. Now, 3 months later, I've only had 2 people even ask about it. One guy just wanted to give me hell about how he could buy the same monitor at Walmart for $100 ( I called bs and he cussed me out, lol). The 2nd guy called my cell number and acted like he wanted it, but never came through (even though I had by now reduced the price to $125). So I still have the monitor. I also am/was trying to sell my Dell desktop, although since it only has 500mb of RAM, I'll most likely end up donating it someplace. Hell, I couldn't even get a $50 offer for it! Same as the monitor, it's been unused in over 3 yrs. Oh well.....maybe if I keep this stuff long enough it will eventually have collector's value!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Good luck. Used computer stuff seems to be hard to sell anymore, unless you're almost giving it away.
Yes, I suspected that. The speakers should go fine, and perhaps the cabinet, but if I can't get $25 for the monitor it hits the dumpster. If I had lots of space I'd just keep it in case of a burnout on my present one, while I waited for a large screen replacement. But my space is quite tight, so out it goes.

Ha
Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, I suspected that. The speakers should go fine, and perhaps the cabinet, but if I can't get $25 for the monitor it hits the dumpster. If I had lots of space I'd just keep it in case of a burnout on my present one, while I waited for a large screen replacement. But my space is quite tight, so out it goes.

Ha
If you itemize deductions you can get at least $25 for a LCD monitor. Salvation Army and Goodwill will take it and they have valuation guides on their websites.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #9

In addition to posting "for sale", perhaps you have a need to "Barter". Also do a quick search in the "Wanted" section of Craigslist.

I had an used 17" flat monitor not being used and offered it on Craigslist. I got a college kid to help mow the lawn and rake leaves. It took him about 2-3 hours plus his commute time.

I had another college student help move a few things/clean a rental apartment for an older laptop that that I had.

I was happy with both trades.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #10

There are quite a few places in WA that a computer monitor can be dropped off for recycling if yours doesn't sell.

E-Cycle Washington - Home | Ecycle Washington
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

This tickled an old idea I had. I've got a stack of old computer equipment. Some really old things, like an Intel Intellec 8 MCS-80 box (circa 1974, the Dawn of the Personal Computer), and some odd things like NeXT Cubes and NeXTStations, all still working.

Has anyone out there heard of computer collectors, or some sort of old computer trade/swap/selling site? I really don't want to scrap this stuff, and would prefer to see it go to a good home. Getting a little cash might be nice. (I'm currently getting into functional restoration of old communications receivers. I need the space, and petty cash for parts would be nice...)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
This tickled an old idea I had. I've got a stack of old computer equipment. Some really old things, like an Intel Intellec 8 MCS-80 box (circa 1974, the Dawn of the Personal Computer), and some odd things like NeXT Cubes and NeXTStations, all still working.

Has anyone out there heard of computer collectors, or some sort of old computer trade/swap/selling site? I really don't want to scrap this stuff, and would prefer to see it go to a good home. Getting a little cash might be nice. (I'm currently getting into functional restoration of old communications receivers. I need the space, and petty cash for parts would be nice...)
Don't know about turning it into cash, but I bet if offered for free on Craigslist or Freecycle that your e-mail would be pretty busy for awhile.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote