Prime Day 2019

InstaPot down to $49.99 now.
They have some with damaged boxes for an additional $5.00 off; $44.99.
I jumped on that just to see what all the hype is about.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That’s funny, they dropped the price further! Must have had a huge number on hand.

The hype - it’s a great device, but it does have a learning curve. Best results a for long cooking things, particularly stews where the pressure helps break down tougher cuts of meat making them tender and flavorful. Also great for beans. I replaced my crock pot and much less cleanup due to being able to sauté ingredients in the pot before pressure cooking.

I recommend the instant pot/pressure cooker recipes on www.dadcooksdinner.com as they are not complex and generally yield tasty results.

Last edited:
Have people done the genetic testing offered by 23 and Me? It's half price at $100 on Prime Day. Thoughts?

I confess I have spent more money at Amazon yesterday and today than I probably spent in the last five years. Oddly, the biggest expenditure was clothing - things we just can't find locally. Trying out an Echo Dot with a smart plug - something new for the Luddite household. Thinking about the genetic testing and the Echo Show 5. Would have bought one of the Ring doorbell combos, except the reviews of the various Rings were bad.

Have people done the genetic testing offered by 23 and Me? It's half price at $100 on Prime Day. Thoughts?

Given what I know about the divorce, I’m pretty sure my dad didn’t keep it in his pants. I also was a bit wild before my marriage. I think taking the test could result in finding out I have other family members. No thank you.

Not until I have the ability to consent to every "sharing" of my info with their "partners".

To get back to the OT- I don't have a Prime membership. Probably never will. My TV source is Netflix. While I see a fair amount of planned purchases here ("I knew I wanted to buy X and was waiting for Prime Day") there's also a lot of purchases based on browsing and finding something you didn't know you wanted. I try to avoid that. It keeps the spending AND the clutter down.

Actually, all of what I bought were items I need and have been looking for in bricks and mortar stores for months without success, with the exception of the Echo Dot. Not sure I want Amazon spying, but at less than $30, if it doesn't work out, I can donate the items or give them to someone that likes that stuff.

I spent a whopping $9.97 for a replacement bird feeder. Glad to help Amazon become just a little bigger.

I told my wife mine wasn't holding a charge well any more and one showed up for my birthday a month or so ago. But that is something to consider.. if there is an item that needs replacing anyway, why not use this opportunity to buy low.

I did buy a new Kindle yesterday . Mine was getting to unreliable and I have a few trips coming up.

I confess that I succumbed to an impulse buy - a Motorola G6 phone for $110 (net cost $100 after subtracting the $10 account credit for a $100+ purchase through Amazon Assistant).

DW and I both have Motorola phones we purchased last year that we really like and are working great. Unfortunately DW has some dexterity issues and drops her phone far more frequently than the average user, which has limited the expected lifespan of her previous phones. Good phone cases help, but history says it is only a matter of time before her phone will bite the dust, so I took advantage of the discounts and credits to buy a spare.

What is amusing to me is the little video they run with the Prime deal list. It's Home Shopping Network for Amazon.

Amazon is useful for some things, especially things you can't find elsewhere. A lot of what they sell is overpriced. If you keep price lists in your head, you can decide quickly what's a deal when you see it. I think they depend on impulse buying and people overpaying for stuff they either don't price shop or for which they rationalize the convenience.

I confess that I succumbed to an impulse buy - a Motorola G6 phone for $110 (net cost $100 after subtracting the $10 account credit for a $100+ purchase through Amazon Assistant).

DW and I both have Motorola phones we purchased last year that we really like and are working great. Unfortunately DW has some dexterity issues and drops her phone far more frequently than the average user, which has limited the expected lifespan of her previous phones. Good phone cases help, but history says it is only a matter of time before her phone will bite the dust, so I took advantage of the discounts and credits to buy a spare.

Great idea, since I lived with a shattered screen for a month before Black Friday last year. Does this phone work on Verizon?

That’s funny, they dropped the price further! Must have had a huge number on hand.

The hype - it’s a great device, but it does have a learning curve. Best results a for long cooking things, particularly stews where the pressure helps break down tougher cuts of meat making them tender and flavorful. Also great for beans. I replaced my crock pot and much less cleanup due to being able to sauté ingredients in the pot before pressure cooking.

I recommend the instant pot/pressure cooker recipes on www.dadcooksdinner.com as they are not complex and generally yield tasty results.

I just don't know about that Instant Pot. It only has 33,000 reviews, so I think the jury might still be out... :D

We went ahead and got one. DW has been interested since her sister started using hers 5x a week. Also got a new tab for DW, some shaving cream, razors, shampoo and I am debating a new Kindle. Damn you Amazon...you suckered me!!! :blush:

Given what I know about the divorce, I’m pretty sure my dad didn’t keep it in his pants. I also was a bit wild before my marriage. I think taking the test could result in finding out I have other family members. No thank you.

Depends on your perspective. I learned that I have a first cousin AND she lives in Hawaii! We will invite her to our reunion and maybe the next reunion will be in Hawaii! What's not to like?

Oh, main point of the post, before I was distracted: I simply do not shop like this. If I want something, I investigate it and buy it. So my list is usually completely empty. True I might "get lucky" and be in the buying process during this day or two, or black Friday, or cyber Monday or whatever, but I usually get interested in buying something at random times, not when they ring a bell.

Last edited:
It looks like the 25% off trade in deal for Kindle Paper White is over. I don't see it available now, just a $5 credit on e-books. BOO!

Edit...disregard. I saw where it is...

Edit to the edit...

I didn't have an eligible device for the 25% off, BUT...when you go to the checkout, you get 25% off (in addition to the 6%) if you use the Prime Visa card, no trade in required! ;)

Last edited:
And now for the delivery. I ordered one item on Sunday before Prime Day because I was offered a $5 coupon. On checkout I was promised next day delivery to my home as a Prime member.

Epic fail. Shipped on Monday 11 a.m., promised by 9 p.m. Checked on Tuesday. Should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday. If you don't get by Thursday contact us.

And now for the delivery. I ordered one item on Sunday before Prime Day because I was offered a $5 coupon. On checkout I was promised next day delivery to my home as a Prime member.

Epic fail. Shipped on Monday 11 a.m., promised by 9 p.m. Checked on Tuesday. Should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday. If you don't get by Thursday contact us.

I noticed that most of my stuff will be here on Friday or Saturday. I guess they are a little busy.

I have Amazon open as I read this thread. Some good deals, but I'm running out of storage in our house and I hate to throw things away. I could give them away, but everyone has Amazon and would prefer a new one. The landfills keep growing. We have fewer and fewer garage sales. I think Amazon has something to do with this.

Thanks for the clarification. As it turns out, the Amazon Assistant promo doesn't stack with the $10 Whole Foods promo I got the other day. Also, they only allow one Honeywell Thermostat/Echo Dot combo deal to be ordered and I need two. :mad: So I may just order the thermostat combo now and the step ladder in a couple of days. Maybe get my buddy to order a second thermostat combo for me!:dance:

That's odd. Mine did stack and I can see both credits when I look at the order details. I guess they may have changed the terms of the Assistant deal after I placed my order.

I have Amazon open as I read this thread. Some good deals, but I'm running out of storage in our house and I hate to throw things away. I could give them away, but everyone has Amazon and would prefer a new one. The landfills keep growing. We have fewer and fewer garage sales. I think Amazon has something to do with this.

They certainly sell A LOT of stuff. In our area, most of the deliveries and now being done exclusively by Amazon. We see the truck everyday and it appears to stop at pretty much every other house. Every. Single. Day.

If our estimates for 2017 are anywhere near accurate, Amazon could end up shipping 4.4 billion parcels in 2018. That’s a billion more packages to deliver.

https://www.savethepostoffice.com/a...uch-does-it-cost-and-who-delivers-what-share/

I ordered a cartridge for our b/w laser printer and used a $10 whole foods credit.

I just checked to make sure that you are buying it new. I had a Moto G6 taken from my pocket in the Civic Center area of Market Street in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, in a very tightly-packed crowd. That area is notorious for pickpockets. It would have been pretty funny if you had purchased my phone REW!

Back
Top Bottom