Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Similar for us. 7.5# Prime Bone in ($110 at Costco!). Ended up a little underdone, as I was paranoid about burning such an expensive piece of meat, and the meat thermometer was giving varied readings on different sides of the meat. I don't really like our oven. But truly, " like buttah".

French dips today, after I figure out how I'll cook the most underdone parts a little more
I feel your paranoia and frustration - esp w/ thermometers.

I actually had to return my Thermapen after several unsatisfactory grilling sessions - turns out it was not fast or accurate after deciding to run my own tests.

I trusted the Thermapen to give accurate readings within 3-4 seconds, but the one I returned was much slower - taking up to 9 seconds.

The new one works as advertised - which I use when doing steaks.

But for a big roast - I rely on the constant reading probe via a long cable to a base unit and a remote to know the temp where ever I am in the house.

No need to open the oven to probe the meat.

Would love to know what you come up with for the underdone pieces you have.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
But for a big roast - I rely on the constant reading probe via a long cable to a base unit and a remote to know the temp where ever I am in the house.

No need to open the oven to probe the meat.
+1

I normally set the alarm temperature 10F below the desired temperature to give time to get to the oven. And the meat is usually removed from the oven at 5F below the final temperature.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did you get a look at how dirty this guy's oven is (step 4 photo)? Yikes...
I didn't bother to look at the other steps once I saw the dirty counter. I'm not a squeamish person but how can you cook food in those conditions.

Years ago, I adopted a dog. When I went to the house to pick up the dog I had to walk through the house to get to the backyard. I'm not nosey and don't look around someone's house. The kitchen was filthy and the sink and counter were loaded with dirty plates and pans. The entire house was like that and this person use to watch peoples children from work. I rescued the dog!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

DH got a 4 lb roast on sale at Fresh Market for $7.99/lb. I cut it in half because I like it rare and DH likes it well done. Floured, salted and peppered it and seared it on all sides in a cast iron skillet coated with butter. Put his in and cooked it for an hour at 350, then put mine in and cooked for another 45 minutes. Done perfectly for both of us, with plenty of leftovers. Prime rib, sliced very thin, makes the best steak sandwiches on earth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did two racks of lamb for Xmas. Quite a bit easier, but I still used a remote probe to continuously monitor temp while in oven.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

We got a 15 lb roast since the whole family was here this year. Since a couple liked well done, I cut off about 4 lbs and put it in the oven about 45 minutes before putting in the rest. Meat thermometer went in the large piece. I was off by half hour on my time estimate, so we ended up eating early. Fortunately, everything else was prepared or finished cooking while the roasts rested wrapped in foil. Had a perfect med. rare and med. well roasts to please everyone.

Had enough roast left to make a hash the next morning. It was gone quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to this thread, I made a perfect med rare boneless roast for Christmas Eve using the 250 degrees reverse sear method I read about first here (DH thought it was hilarious that I found a thread on it here), with enough leftover to have again on Christmas day (searing briefly in a hot cast iron pan as someone here suggested for leftovers). After hearing about the many priceless financial tips I have found reading here over the years, he could not believe I was on this site on Christmas Eve learning how to best cook our expensive prime rib(less) roast for dinner! He agreed it was a delicious result. Thanks much!
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:13 AM   #28

Timely: We went to Christmas Dinner at a friends house, he used the 250 degree method on a huge prime rib (they had some last minute back outs). The meat was incredibly tender and among the best I've ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #29

Reverse seat method convert here too. Thank you ER forum and America's test kitchen!

I did turkey on a V shaped rack and pan I bought for $7 at Macy's a couple of days ago (they screwed up the sale sign, tee-her). I stuffed it with chunks of lemons and onion, with sage and thyme from my garden I cooked it breast down then flipped it for the last 45 minutes to brown the breast, using two turkey lifter hooks. Moist and tender. I bought a store version of a Thermapen months ago for real cheap and used my old gas oven. I can't see buying another appliance until I really need to.

Best turkey ever. Also I followed an Andrew Zimmern video on how to carve a turkey and it was fantastic. I did the turkey and gravy and DS did everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote